Need Help! Daily Eating?

Scochrane86
Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
Ok, so I just recently started keto and I am feeling guilty about what I am eating in a day. Yesterday I had 13g carbs but my supper I had 3 large scrambled eggs, cooked in bacon grease topped with cheese and 6 slices of bacon. I feel like I need to be stuffing myself full of veggies??? I had a lunch of a salad with crab and ranch dressing.
Am I ok with this type of dinner? or should there be a good amount of vegetables added??
This goes against everything I have learned about weight loss and healthy eating lol

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Everyone does not have to eat keto to lose weight but yes, what you are eating is OK so long as it is around your calorie allowance. If at some time you want to add a few more carbs do so with vegetables and berries and not the starchy stuff (bread, pasta, rice, etc) at least for now.

Keto is low carb, moderate protein and high fat. Carbs should be leafy greens and other above ground vegetables.
  • Scochrane86
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Everyone does not have to eat keto to lose weight but yes, what you are eating is OK so long as it is around your calorie allowance. If at some time you want to add a few more carbs do so with vegetables and berries and not the starchy stuff (bread, pasta, rice, etc) at least for now.

Keto is low carb, moderate protein and high fat. Carbs should be leafy greens and other above ground vegetables.

Thank you,
    so it is ok if I have a meal that includes little to no vegetables?
    I appreciate the advice
  • kpk54
    kpk54 wrote: »

Thank you,
    so it is ok if I have a meal that includes little to no vegetables?
    I appreciate the advice

My opinion is, yes. You had salad for lunch so you're getting some vegetables.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    There are some folks who go full carnivore - meaning animal products and meat only. It is the combination of foods that REQUIRE vegetables to maintain health. Most folks can't quit bread/sugar, so they need veggies to balance. For those not eating that stuff, every required nutrient can be acquired from animal sources...

@FIT_Goat @Sunny_Bunny_ @Dragonwolf -- Any of you carnivores have anything to add?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    You might just be a natural carnivore.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10323001/the-carnivore-credo

Don't eat veggies if you don't want to.
    Do eat meat from various sources. Don't over cook it to retain as many nutrients as possible. Especially beef which can safely be eaten rare or even raw ;) I honestly haven't gone there yet but I eat it so rare it couldn't be that different.
    If you can incorporate organ meats you're doing better than I. I've never liked them but will be looking into getting some blended into ground beef in my future because it seems it's just amazingly good for you food. And I like good for me stuff. :smile:

Goat is the resident carn-expert around these parts. I'm just a groupie! ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    @Sunny_Bunny_ How can you not love the garlicky awesomeness that is Braunschweiger?????
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunny_ How can you not love the garlicky awesomeness that is Braunschweiger?????

I don't even know what that is.
  • Scochrane86

I don't even know what that is.

its like liver sausage (liverwurst)
  • KnitOrMiss
    It is garlicky, indulgent spread... It's a combo of pork goodness. It does have liver in it, but I DESPISE liver and onions with a passionate hate that is so intense it is almost immeasurable... but this??? Awesome incarnate... I like the Kretchmar brand from Walmart, but the Aldi brand is pretty doggoned good!
  • Scochrane86
    It is garlicky, indulgent spread... It's a combo of pork goodness. It does have liver in it, but I DESPISE liver and onions with a passionate hate that is so intense it is almost immeasurable... but this??? Awesome incarnate... I like the Kretchmar brand from Walmart, but the Aldi brand is pretty doggoned good!

not at all what I thought lol
  • KnitOrMiss
    The Kretchmar brand is far more...liver heavy than the Aldi. The Aldi one is saltier, but far less liver tasting... I'm Polish, and my mom always ate the stuff growing up, but I couldn't stand the smell. Now that I'm older and my tastebuds grew up, too, I'm finding all kinds of stuff grow on me. It is FABULOUS stirred into eggs.... *drools thinking about it* @Sunny_Bunny_
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    The Kretchmar brand is far more...liver heavy than the Aldi. The Aldi one is saltier, but far less liver tasting... I'm Polish, and my mom always ate the stuff growing up, but I couldn't stand the smell. Now that I'm older and my tastebuds grew up, too, I'm finding all kinds of stuff grow on me. It is FABULOUS stirred into eggs.... *drools thinking about it* @Sunny_Bunny_

Hmmmmm. Would it be a good burger topping?
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    edited January 2017
    I just bought Braunschweiger for the first time since eating in my childhood. Funny, that you brought that up @KnitOrMiss .....I'm loving it ! What sort of things do like to do with yours? I'm happy just to slice and eat!
  • KnitOrMiss
    @pwrfl1 - I like it sliced, spread on bell pepper strips, on any cracker form (like a lavash flatbread cut into cracker pieces brushed with butter and baked 3-6 minutes until light brown), hot mixed into scrambled eggs or under/with over medium eggs...I think yes, @Sunny_Bunny_ - that if you like spreads on your burgers, it could work that way. I would think that it could also be worked into the raw meat... It is a little thicker than hummus, but spreadable when set out a couple minutes from the fridge. I've also done it "fried bologna" style...just browning top and bottom. Trying to think what else I've done with it. Oh, I've layered it with cream cheese and made a luxuriously indulgent dip...spread it on cheese or cheese crisps...the options are endless...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    @pwrfl1 - I like it sliced, spread on bell pepper strips, on any cracker form (like a lavash flatbread cut into cracker pieces brushed with butter and baked 3-6 minutes until light brown), hot mixed into scrambled eggs or under/with over medium eggs...I think yes, @Sunny_Bunny_ - that if you like spreads on your burgers, it could work that way. I would think that it could also be worked into the raw meat... It is a little thicker than hummus, but spreadable when set out a couple minutes from the fridge. I've also done it "fried bologna" style...just browning top and bottom. Trying to think what else I've done with it. Oh, I've layered it with cream cheese and made a luxuriously indulgent dip...spread it on cheese or cheese crisps...the options are endless...

I may need to try it! The fried bologna method sounds promising too!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited January 2017
    Oh man, liverwurst is AWESOME. I love that stuff. I often buy chubs of it made by Boar's Head and can eat half of the chub in a sitting. My dogs love it, too, because they usually get a bite. It's the best way to have liver, by far. Although, I am not sure how much nutrition remains after the processing and cooking.

As has been said, I don't eat vegetables. I love them. That shocks a lot of people. They assume that I am a carnivore because I hate vegetables. That's not the case. I was even a vegetarian for a few years in my early 20s. I love Brussels sprouts in butter. I love cabbage. Crunchy chunks of cauliflower? Yep, love those! My body hates them and will make me pay for eating them. So, I don't.

I've eaten basically none for 2.5 years. I almost exclusively eat meat, cheese, and eggs. I don't take vitamins or supplement in any way.** I am not saying you have to do the same thing. I'm just pointing out that missing vegetables in a single meal (not even over the whole day) isn't likely to cause you any issues. :lol:

** Yes, my doctor is horrified. The tests she's run all come back within healthy ranges, though.
  • KnitOrMiss

I may need to try it! The fried bologna method sounds promising too!

@Sunny_Bunny_ If you have an Aldi near you, a small tube of it is right around $2, just to try. Then you could run around trying different brands, etc., to find your favorite. Now that I think on it, I need to see what the options are at Sprouts next time I'm in!

@FIT_Goat - US Wellness Meats seems to advocated pretty good quality in their grassfed versions and such. Chris Masterjohn, PhD even offers a coupon, good twice, for saving on up to 40 pounds or something (he mentions it in one of this podcasts about keto). I'm trying to remember. Because they're a healthier type, it's a bit out of my price points, but I've heard about them from several low carb and nutrition based advocates. They also have pretty much most all organ meats...and even explain the differences...
  • kpk54
    In for the liverwurst. I like mine with yellow mustard. Period. It usually is so fat laden, the fat coats the roof of my mouth. Never tried frying it.
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Love it with some Dukes mayo!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    This is a normal day for me:

cswc7qolcbvl.jpg