Hi ATKINS/Paleo?

Options
Hi, I had the gastric sleeve a couple years ago. I got to my goal weight. Then my epilepsy came back and between using the medicine they gave me and being in the hospital I gained back close to 40 lbs. My question is isn't Paleo and Atkins the same thing? I am very familiar with Atkins, learning Paleo. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Paleo is lower carb than SAD, but the focus is generally on avoiding processed food. Adkins is focused more on reducing carbs (bacon being acceptable and possibly even encouraged).

There are going to be similarities like avoiding grains and processed carbs, but they aren't really the same. Both are easily better than the SAD
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Check out this launchpad link for detailed info about the various low carb eating styles.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348418/various-lc-programs#latest
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Interesting, never thought about how Paleo and Atkins could be similar. I think of Paleo as much more rustic food and focuses a lot on twigs and berries and heirloom/ancient or sprouted grains and stuff, and Atkins just very low carb, with a lot less fat than keto.

Why do I think less fat? I read Atkins New Diet Revolution book in 2005-ish and lost 30 lbs in five months while half-assing it. The problem for me was that Atkins never did a clear job of convincing me that high fat was important (and perhaps that wasn't his intent, I can't remember, I was in my late 20s), but rather that fat was OK and not harmful and to enjoy it. I do remember ten days of induction headaches being like sheer bloody murder though, and thought it had to be worth it. I was still a couple years away from a diabetes diagnosis. Wish I'd have found keto then. I was almost 280 lbs before Atkins.

• CanadianMissy
    CanadianMissy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in Paleo you might want to also check out Primal - it's basically paleo except you can eat dairy.

marksdailyapple.com is a GREAT reference and full of free information that explains the science behind it. I can't say enough great things about Mark Sisson.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Atkins has evolved quite a bit through the various versions over the years.

The current "official" version by Westman, Volek, and Phinney, A New Atkins for a New You, is a fairly flexible, well-formulated ketogenic diet. It recommends significant amount of low-net-carb vegetables and is intended for long-term maintenance. It is essentially a, simpler, practical version of Phinney & Volek's Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living (with meal plans).
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    Interesting, never thought about how Paleo and Atkins could be similar. I think of Paleo as much more rustic food and focuses a lot on twigs and berries and heirloom/ancient or sprouted grains and stuff, and Atkins just very low carb, with a lot less fat than keto.

Why do I think less fat? I read Atkins New Diet Revolution book in 2005-ish and lost 30 lbs in five months while half-assing it. The problem for me was that Atkins never did a clear job of convincing me that high fat was important (and perhaps that wasn't his intent, I can't remember, I was in my late 20s), but rather that fat was OK and not harmful and to enjoy it. I do remember ten days of induction headaches being like sheer bloody murder though, and thought it had to be worth it. I was still a couple years away from a diabetes diagnosis. Wish I'd have found keto then. I was almost 280 lbs before Atkins.

I ate low carb (100g /day) for years (except for all those days in between my food addiction got in the way) and I found all the Paleo recipes fit well with my food philosophy. I love to cook, as a diabetic I tried to make sure the carbs I ate were better quality carbohydrates (not realising at the time how low I could really go) I prefer to eat whole foods and have always tried to minimise the amount of processed food in my life, so again, Paleo recipes met my needs.

To me, Paleo cooking is akin to clean eating, with a lower glycemic focus. It's definitely not high fat, but it's not low fat either and it's about using good fats.

Though in the last year since going VLC, I've become a bacon and cheese addict, so my Paleo handle doesn't fit very well anymore. I'm trying to trade in my bacon for pork belly this week so that I can get the processed meat back out of my diet. I'd like to get rid of the dairy again too, but I'm not giving up all my crutches right now.

And I get what you mean about the previous Atkins message. They weren't very good back then at explaining their fat conviction. I couldn't possibly conceive of any health benefits of eating bacon and fried eggs every day. I get it now. Though I'm still not proud of the bacon monster I've become.