Whole30

Options
nikkib0103
nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
Have any of you good people tried Whole30? I have the books from the library as my sister is keen to try it so we are going to do it together. It seems like you give up everything except meat, fruit and veggies and after 30 days dairy, sugar, grains, legumes, etc are reintroduced. Apparently you will find reduced cravings, more energy, less joint and muscular pain, weight loss, etc. I am generally never in favor of eliminating whole categories of food however I am willing to try. Would like to hear about any of your experiences with it, if any. Thanks!

Replies

• BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Yes my husband & I did it in November.. it was quite hard but really worth the effort. I just bought her latest book Food Freedom For Ever. I'm just about to start reading that
    Let me know how u get on x
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    It has been my understanding that the point of Whole 30 is to determine if you have any food allergies or intolerances. That is why you eliminate groups and then reintroduce them one at a time to see how you body reacts to them. If you are okay, you can continue to eat them. If you have a negative reaction it is best to cut them out of your diet. Unfortunately, I feel like people have turned it into an actual long term diet and do it to lose weight, but because it is so restrictive, it's not very sustainable long term.

If you truly are trying to figure out what foods are causing issues like aches and pains, then I think it's a great idea. If you are trying to do it to lose weight, I think you might as well just do CICO and not be so restrictive on yourself.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    B3achy, I have been thinking the same. I do want to see if I can eliminate some issues and will see if it helps. I imagine I will only do one round and not more. I will see if any food is irritating me. If one is I will adapt to that, if not I will revert to what has worked in the past and hope for the best. Thanks for your viewpoint.

BBee, I thought it would be hard. I am glad you and your husband had success with it. Will PM you for more details. Thanks!
  • BBee5064
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I was due to start on the it's Feb. Sadly due to flu I'm postponing until Mon 6th
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »
    I was due to start on the it's Feb. Sadly due to flu I'm postponing until Mon 6th

Then we will be starting the same day! I hope you are feeling better...
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Congratulations on doing whole 30 Nikki
    How do you feel?
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    BBee, I am almost done, thank Christ. I am feeling slightly more energetic, but that could be because the sun came out. My guess, and I won't know for sure til I do reentry is that dairy and sugar are my bugaboo. I guess I will end up cutting way back on dairy, sugar and crabs but I really don't believe in eliminating whole food groups. I have been irritable, hungry and am sick of cooking and shopping trips that take forever lest something escape notice and kill me. Did you go back on? How is it going?
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Crabs is a whole food group? I had no idea...*running off for being a smartass*

Will be interesting to see how reintroducing various things goes, please let us know! :)
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Crabs is a whole food group? I had no idea...*running off for being a smartass*

Will be interesting to see how reintroducing various things goes, please let us know! :)

LOL. Well, I have BEEN a crab throughout most of this so.... Yes, I will let you know. But my best guess is it will turn out dairy makes me gassy and carbohydrates (especially the delicious ones) gum me up a bit. So both will have to be limited. Will let you know, though, if I am right. My 'predictive spelling' will not recognize the shortened version of carbohydrate and insists on plugging in 'crab' no matter how many times I type it in. It used to give up after a couple of times.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Someone just told me that they're making it a way of life. I'm not sure how smart that is.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Well we have finished and done the reintroduction phase. The final results were that each of us feel less letharigic (which is awesome), general sleep quality has improved (although the nephew has always slept like a coma patient so his is negligible) and we discovered that dairy bothers us all (more in straight milk form than say in cheese) and while I would not say we are wheat sensitive we are sharply cutting our refined carbs as we resume real life. I think we just like it a bit too much and the calories are deadly for my sister and me. We are not great at portion controlling pasta but do fine with everything else. (We are both suffering "the change" and it has killed our metabolism). Sugar cravings have been abolished for the most part. The nephew (age 14) had the best weight loss result at 16 pounds. And the thing is he looks 100% different. I have to lose at least 20 to see anything change. My sister lost 10. I lost 3 or 5 depending on the scale I use. And my brother in law said he didn't lose anything. Going forward we are going to stick to a more paleo plan. During the week we will eat protein, fruits, and veg. But we are going to add whole grains like quinoa, etc and on weekends we will have a plate of pasta or rice. Overall, from a weight loss standpoint, for me, it was hardly worth it. There's a lot of cooking and all that label reading and extra expense gets a bit much at times. However, killing the sugar dragon and feeling more energetic is great. I will say it is a lot easier if everyone in the household does it. And my nephew is a real rule watcher and will catch you out. Every other sentence with him was "Is it compliant?" He caught a cold and his mother went to make him tea. He said no. He doesn't like it without sugar and a bit of honey and neither were compliant. So I would say it was a success but I won't do it again. It's just too much work.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Well done on completing it Nikki... it certainly sounds like it's been hard work. Your nephew sounds like the diet police. He made me smile. Lessons have been learned along the way. I like the idea that your going forward with a Paleo plan. Keep us posted on how you get on.

Enjoy your week x
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »
    Well done on completing it Nikki... it certainly sounds like it's been hard work. Your nephew sounds like the diet police. He made me smile. Lessons have been learned along the way. I like the idea that your going forward with a Paleo plan. Keep us posted on how you get on.

Enjoy your week x

The nephew is a riot. We think he should be a lawyer. He will argue you to death. Yes, we are trying to keep our food as clean and streamlined as possible. We learned a lot and will adapt accordingly. How are you getting on with it? Did you start it up again?
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Yes your nephew sounds like he would make a good lawyer :)
    No we didn't Nikki... we couldn't face it after recovering from flu. We were just saying the other day. Lets do April... We shall see if we are brave enough!
    I keep you posted x
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    BBee, he would make a great lawyer but plans to go into marine science and technology. perhaps he will wind up in maritime law? He is a character, to say the least. April is practically here! Have you decided? I am going back to my previously successful ways. I really have to move more, though. Psychologically, if I exercise first thing, I mind what I eat better. Glad you are both recovered though. The flu knocks you sideways for weeks after.
  • BBee5064
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Marine Science & technology sounds interesting; My youngest brother works as a Marine planner & he loves his job. Your nephew sounds like great fun :)
    We have decided to cut out carbs after 5pm & do more exercise in April. I really can't be bothered but I've got to keep trying.
    I'm tempted to get back on my push bike. I let you know if I'm brave enough to ride it again. It's been quite a while.
    Sounds like you know exactly what your doing. Keep me posted it will be good to hear how you get on.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Bbee - what is a push bike? I like your new idea of cutting out carbs at night and getting more exercise. I bet that will get you some good results. As much as we hate cutting carbs I don't see any other way. My doctor says the same. And as a fellow Italian, he hates doing it too!
  • BBee5064
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    Bbee - what is a push bike? I like your new idea of cutting out carbs at night and getting more exercise. I bet that will get you some good results. As much as we hate cutting carbs I don't see any other way. My doctor says the same. And as a fellow Italian, he hates doing it too!

Sorry Nikki I keep using local dialect expressions. A push bike is a bicycle. Since I've cut out Carbs late in the evening, I'm sleeping better. So that's a positive. I can imagine being an Italian cutting carbs will be tremendously hard.
    We will keep battling on Nikki.
    Let me know how you get on x