Weekly Post 15.01. - 21.01.2017

Options
flumi_f
flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
My ticker todays says 1000 days. Actually I've been here about 1300, but I lost my days during an offline vacation :#

I'm still here because, I am not an intuitive eater....if I eat, what I want, I overdo it. I tried that and gained 5kg while still fasting. At 1600-1700cals TDEE before exercise it's easy to overdo it :o . I like food....the good and the bad...

Though I am not having a good week weight wise and my digestive system is a bit out of whack atm, I'm still in a much better place than I was back in April 2013. I've been at a 'normal' weight since the beginning of 2014 for the first time in my life and have pretty much stayed there. I'm 22kg lower than when I logged on here the first time, 33kg lower than my lifetime high in 2001 and 5kg over my low. My goal is to get back there. I still use 5:2 to regulate my cal intake over the week. I suspect, I will continue indefinitely ;) The 'naturally' slim probably do low cal days automatically....I plan mine. Whatever works B)

Next fast is planned for tomorrow, all are welcome to join in the fun :p

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Replies

• KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I only got in one fast last week, but NFDs were pretty good and hormones are back to normal, so I had a pretty good loss.
    My goals for this week are two have two good fasts and catch up on my Bible-in-a-year program that I have gotten behind on in the last few weeks.
    I am just going to take each little step to get to where I want to be physically and mentally. I find myself overwhelmed if I look at the big picture. My only resolution each year is to be be in a better place than I was at the beginning of the year. I didn't make it last year and I think that is why.
    I hope you all have a great week and fabulous fasts!
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm actually going to fast today. We had my parents over for dinner last night. We ordered waaaayyyy too much Chinese takeout and man, am I paying for it this morning. Puffy face, distended belly, congested...I'm a train wreck. It's dinners like that that give me the sense that my digestion needs a rest. I'm not sure if any of you feel like that, but after doing IF for so long, it seems like my body just says "enough, you idiot, I need a break". It also says "why?? Why do you put me through that?". And "don't you ever learn?!?". I have a lot of conversations with my GI tract.

What is it about Chinese food? We eat it about every 4 months and EVERY time we say "never again". But then the interval between eating it is so long, I forget. There has to be some mystery ingredient. And I don't even eat the stuff with meat. I eat all vegetables and I still feel like a punching bag. I know the places we go don't use MSG and it's every place we try!

I think today I'll just eat kale. Both as a way to reset and to punish myself.
  • flumi_f
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'd cook it myself, if I were you, but then I'm just not a take away person.

Much less salt and MSG, no strange fats and thickeners and other ingredients. Then it's yummy and good for you ;-) I've actually changed over to thai flavored food in the last few years. So easy to cook and yummy. Stir fry veggies, sweet potato or potatos (I think you're plant based) with thai basil, fresh ginger and lemon grass, lime and coconut milk, a bit of red curry paste or powder with rice, naans or glass noodles and you're all set B) Add lentils or chickpeas and you've got your protein too.

Ohhh and fasting isn't a punishment, it's a way to get your body to feel better.
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    No, I agree...fasting isn't a punishment at all. Just a way to take a break during episodes like this!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Fasting makes me feel clearer? more fresh? energised? I can't quite explain it. But yes definitely not a punishment.
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    I kept the menu from the Chinese restaurant and wrote in big letters "DONT DO IT" to remind myself not order it in 4 months when I forget what happened. My modified fast yesterday has me feeling much better. Full fast planned for today.

I look at episodes like the one I had as a gift. It reminds me why I live the way I do. I usually cook all of our meals, I tend not to overeat, and I eat a mostly vegan diet. Don't get me wrong, things are far from perfect, but in general, I do a pretty good job. I'm always floored when I go to the grocery store and see what other people purchase because it reminds me that there are people who don't realize how much better they can feel even if they tweak their diet just a little. Feeling as crappy as I did also reminds me that there are people who feel that way everyday because of their food choices. And boy, does that make me sad.

Fasting has given me the ability to see food for what it is and allows me to maintain a healthy weight that has me enjoying life. I would not be able to dance in the same way if this weren't true. When I pair it with my actual food choices, I find that the preoccupation I used to have about my weight is replaced by more productive and less stressful thoughts. Having a night like I had on Saturday and the day I had yesterday trying to recuperate just reemphasizes my efforts.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Heehee. Yes I am also aquainted with the 'why did I over do it, I know better' days :# And after a fast I remember why I fast ;)

Fasting today...dinner and tai chi class with tea for dessert is my plan for the evening :)
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh... husband just announced we should order Chinese tonight.... then I started reading this weeks posts!! Uh oh! I feel sodium in my body too.... I'll increase water now!!! Thanks for the coincidental post Flossy! :p

Had some low days last week and one fd. I feel my body likes where it's at. My brain says otherwise.... although people started saying I was getting too skinny back in the summer. One fd a week is what I'll continue with for now.

I'm liking that bumped up forum on posting what foods were consumed on each fd... a good little read! Thanks people!
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    Mama, just the mentioning of the word "Chinese food" has me gagging (you're welcome). We just dumped the rest of it out. It's so hard when your body and your brain are at odds. I'm at that point too. I have a weight I'd like to achieve, but my body likes where it's at. It's hard to know when to say uncle. I'm terrified to move to one FD a week because loosely doing 2 keeps me consistently at a good weight. Im open to the idea of a strict 1 FD a week, though. I may give it a try.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Well...Monday's fast went well. I abandoned todays fast mid-afternoon. Was just hungry all day. No hunger waves...thus today was a low day at 1200 but not a fast. Will fast again on Thursday. Just before I disappear to the mountains for a bit of snow shoeing and good times with friends over the weekend ;)
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I have had two low cal days due to the lovely cold my child shared with me. So, this week should be pretty good weight wise, even if I feel gross.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Options
    Yippeeeeee!!!! I whooshed!!!!! Lost almost 1kg in 2 days!!!!!
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    Karen, that's awesome!!!! Way to go!
  • Mjtckwnow
    Mjtckwnow Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hi....I'm Jane & just joined the group this week. I had my 1st fast day yesterday and have my 2nd one planned for tomorrow. So far, so good, I think mainly because I had everything planned out and made a 200ish calorie dinner that was really good and didn't leave me feeling deprived. I have a little over 30 lbs to lose to be at goal weight. In October I was halfway to my goal but then slacked off and gained a bunch back, so now I'm recommitted and ready to really do this.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Options
    Hi Jane :smiley:
    Yep. Planning makes it heaps easier hey.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    ^^definitely and not having much cal dense stuff in the cupboards ;-)
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    We have just finished the Xmas Shortbread, I have never made it last this long, but even so it is High Cal so we should be better now that it is all gone.
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    Second FD planned for today. I went to my first dance class for the Spring semester at our local college. What a nightmare. I had a hold on my registration because of some training I needed to do. It was about college life. I now know everything there is to safe hooking up (super useful seeing as how I'll be celebrating my 20 year anniversary...too funny) and how to drink responsibly at college parties. I'm ready to join a sorority now!!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Options
    Fast days this week were uneventful and easy seems as it's horrible, hot and extremely humid at the moment. I don't think I got full calories at all throughout the entire week lol
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    ^^hot & humid?? Well, I was deciding which of my gloves are warmest that also provide enough grip for the dog leash! :#

Planning so key alright! So is putting yourself first! If I lived alone I would be able to create wonderful fd meals. My family's requests come first, soooo I am forced to be creative. Sometimes I have same meal just without the starch and other times I make something completely different for me. This week I made a big pot of veggie bean soup just for me that comes to about 150 cals for a bowl & a half! I'll be freezing it into portions.... love that trick!

Flossy... did you get a condom too? (My son did at his orientation!) :o