Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

One meal on fast day?

Hi, everyone. I'm new to 5:2 fasting. Do you eat one big meal, or several small snacks throughout the day that total 500 calories (e.g., boiled egg at breakfast, small can of soup at lunch, carrots as a snack, etc.)? Does it make a difference? Thanks.

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Everything is allowed. I prefer two meals, 100-150 cals for lunch and rest for dinner. Lots of veggies and lean protein. Grain carbs make me hungry thus I avoid them on fast days. It's all trial and error until you know, what allows you to make your fast as easy as possible.
  • pinelakecutie
    pinelakecutie Posts: 28 Member
    Thanks. I just noticed the fast day menu thread, too. Great ideas there. I think several small meals will probably work best for me. That way I won't reach the stage where I'm starving.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Yup trial and error! Everyone's different. I usually like 150 cals around noon or early afternoon then rest for dinner. Lots of extra water & teas help throughout the day! Good luck!
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    I'm better with one meal at night and drinking water all day. Usually, I'll have a Diet Pepsi around lunchtime and maybe miso soup. Sprouts has a great product called easy miso. Just 2 tbsp is 30 calories (it's either 30 or 60). Hunger is so transient. Yes, there are times when I start chewing on inanimate objects, but that's ok. If I can't find a calorie count for bar stools on MFP, then there are none.

Now, the only caveat to that is if I'm taking class. If I'm fasting on a day when I'm at ballet, which starts at noon, I'll take a GU energy gel. I find it gives me the energy to put all my effort into class and it's only 100 calories. Sometimes I subtract them from my 500 calorie allotment and sometimes I don't. It depends on how much I've exercised that day. It seems to have worked for me.
  • pinelakecutie
    pinelakecutie Posts: 28 Member
    I like the miso soup idea. I'll have to look for that. I'm going to try frozen meals for a bit and see how that works. It's just easier because the calorie counting is done for me. That will still leave me with a few calories to play around with for breakfast (which is usually light or non-existent) and in the evening.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    We find, wife and I, find that we are better off eating nothing until the evening meal, if we are about to eat cardboard then a carrot helps, then it is either a one skillet dish or an omelette with a bit of cheese and loads of steamed greens. The Kalettes or Kale flowers are fantastic, but they are a new vegetable this year, and may not be available everywhere. They are a cross of Kale and Sprouts.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    I drink plenty of water, black coffee and then a cup of soup for lunch. This leaves me room for a small meal at dinner