I need help...

Options
countcurt
countcurt Posts: 593 Member
Understanding the attraction to CLIF bars.

I have now tried at least 5 different flavors. They all remind me of fertilizer.

What am I missing here?

Replies

• Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I'm just surprised you made it to 5.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,911 Member
    Options
    I have never found any of those protien / energy/ health bars that I was willing to eat twice!
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how hungry you get. I like the Chocolate Chip and Peanut Butter Crunch varieties in the later stages of a long bike ride. They are something that I can find at most convenience stores.

However, I have found many other varieties of bars to be about as appealing as eating road tar - PowerBars come to mind.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Years ago when doing field work which involved descending steep mountain hillslopes with a bunch of field gear (and climbing back out), I resorted to taking Power Bars. They certainly packed a punch but yuuck on the flavor! I would have thought these types of things would have been formulated to be better tasting by now, but I guess that's not the case. Give me cashews any day...
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,886 Member
    Options
    I do like the energy boost I get from a snack during a hike or long bike ride, but I, too, find Cliff Bars and other "energy" bars to be in palatable. The humble Snickers is my go-to when the weather is cool enough they don't melt. Beyond the taste/texture thing is the cost. Snickers are a lot cheaper.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,555 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them on long hikes. But I found some less than enjoyable while a couple I did like and stuck with them
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of the protein bars, but recently discovered Pure Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter and Chocolate Peanut Caramel both are pretty tasty...almost but not quite like a Snickers. I like them in a pinch as a on the go lunch or snack. They do have staying power.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Never tried 'em. No desire.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Powerbars really are like tar....

I know they're marketed to women, but Luna bars taste way better than most Cliff bars.

If I'm going to go for a protein bar, Quest is my choice. Especially if I heat the chocolate chip one in the microwave for 10 seconds...not bad!
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,093 Member
    Options
    Some are nice. I would only use them for bike rides longer than 2 hours (or long hikes). I have other products I use these days. I have no desire to use them as an excuse for breakfast or ordinary gym stuff. Have never tried a "protein" bar or wanted one.

Last long hike I went on I brought my chicken breast sandwich with me for lunch and maybe ate some shot blox too.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,011 Member
    Options
    Tried Power Bars WAY back in the day, but only once or twice. I'd agree with the Snickers. ;)
  • klmackey893
    klmackey893 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    have not looked at the ingredients or claims. However, if they claim preservative free that may be the problem. High fat, high protein shelf stable foods are prone to oxidize (fats) or have non enzymatic browning (protein). If the bar tastes or smells like cardboard you have non enzymatic browning and if it tastes soapy there is lipolytic rancidity and oxidative rancidity has another flavor.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,246 Member
    Options
    I dislike most of the energy bars I have eaten. About the only snack bars I like are the "Like" brand, and I rarely eat those, either.