fustration

Options
mustang6411
mustang6411 Posts: 89 Member
Ok Ladies, I need some info. I have been counting calories for about 3 weeks now. I am going to the gym 3 days a week. I walk, weight train, and ride a bike at the gym. I have lost 1 lb gained the 1 lb back. I am wondering if it is my metoblism? If any of you have had this problem and how did you fix it and how LONG did it take for you notice a change?

I am ready to just say " I am done" and just watch what I eat. I am ready to stop stressing over it and just do what I can.

HELP!!!!

Replies

• OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Do your clothes fit any differently?
  • mustang6411
    Options
    some do, some do not. I took measurements a month ago. Tomorrow after the gym I will take them again.
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Sometimes that's the only way to tell. It sounds like you're replacing fat with muscle. :smile:
  • mustang6411
    Options
    Well I certainly hope that is what I am doing. I will find out tomorrow when I measure.
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you should stop stressing about it. Stress hormones (cortisol) cause weight gain, especialy around the middle. Is it possible that you are at your ideal weight already?

I agree with OhLeita that you are probably adding muscle (which weighs twice as much as fat). Good luck with the measurements tomorrow.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.
    I started tracking and exercising the first week in June. I let MFP choose everything for me. I think I lost 3 lbs then nothing.

I then calculated my BMR and TDEE as talked about on these threads. I started eating more calories and continued to exercise. No loss.

Then I tried the 5:2 fasting thing. Lost 1 gained 1.

Since I eat a mainly plant-based diet, I read Eat to Live in hopes of getting things going. From reading that, I decided I needed to clean up my eating by eliminating all the starchy/processed stuff and now the scale is MOVING! NO, it is not moving by leaps and bounds, but it IS moving. Although I post my weight here once a week, I actually weigh every morning. I have lost 3.4 pounds the first week after eliminating the processed/starchy stuff.

I think we all have to find what works for us. Yes, it is very frustrating, but we cannot give up!
    Good luck!
  • bubblybabeuk
    bubblybabeuk Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hang in there honey, everyone reacts differently you just need to find your groove. It may take a lot of messing about but it will be worth it. Give it a couple more weeks doing what you are doing and then change something around and see if that works. I exercise a lot too but its my diet that makes the difference, If I eat cleaner I lose weight if processed carbs and sweet stiff sneaks back in I don't.

Hope you find that your measurements have changed tomorrow. I try and not get too hooked on the scale and use my measurements instead though I am down to my last 7lbs and its torture to shift.

Good luck
    Mandy x
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    the only other thing I would add is to make sure you are logging accurately. If you have not weighed or measured for a while then check yourself. The other thing I have heard others mention is the exercise usually portrays a higher than normal number what you are doing. best of luck.
  • dstevens19
    dstevens19 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I agree with the clean eating-- eliminate as much processed food as you can. Also, weightlifting has made the biggest difference for me. I like cardio but I force myself to do more heavy lifting because it changes your body.

The other thing to recognize is that at our ages, it's just a slower process. Our bodies hang on to that fat for dear life. It's going to take awhile but the effort is worth it -- you're improving your health for the long run.
  • ruthlesswr
    ruthlesswr Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting started, so I don't have words of wisedom, but I wanted to let you know that you're not alone, and you can DO this! Everybody's body is different. You just need to find what works for you. Something will - it's just taking awhile to find it. Hang in there!
  • mustang6411
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments. I do not eat a lot of processed foods....can't stand them. I do think I need to eat more vegies..we eat them with dinner, and that's about it for the day....so I am going to the store today....I will get more fresh vegies.
  • cybersheel
    cybersheel Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    tekwriter could be right - it's often easy to forget to add calories. Nibbling while making meals for instance. It is good to eat better but still possible to lose weight and still include carbs etc. Avoiding salt helps too. You'll find a way that works for you.
    There is a limit to the amount of weight gained by muscle increasing, unless you're weight training seriously it won't factor in too much.
    Good luck, don't give up.