Just starting LCHF what macros should I aim for to lose weight

Options
cjjh123
cjjh123 Posts: 21 Member
Just curious how many grams of carbs , fat and protein others eat and how successful have you been at losing weight.
Currently I eat between 50-70 carbs. About 90-95 protein and around 100-110 fat. I just started about a week and a half ago so I am assuming weight loss is mostly water.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Weight loss? Other specific health issues? Your goals may change how someone might answer. It would change how I would answer.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Here is a TDEE calculator with a keto twist to it. http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ Figure out your TDEE and adjust macros from there. It looks like you are somewhere around 1500-1600 Cal now?
  • cjjh123
    cjjh123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @Kpk54 my goals are to lose about 80 pounds and stay generally healthy. I don't have diabetes or pre diabetes. Just fat and don't want to be anymore, I'm pretty fit as I do hitt training a few times a week.

@nvmomketo I eat about 1500 ish a day now.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I found the numbers MFP generated for me for weight loss worked reasonably well regarding calories/deficit. I had my macros set to 40% carbs/30/30. Having followed both that then switching to keto after a couple years maintaining, I'm one to say in hindsight, I wish I had followed at least lower carb (than I did) earlier for the benefit of satiation and reduced cravings. Per gram, my carbs were higher than yours. The other two lower, I think.

I won't pick your macros apart. They seem reasonable to me. Commit for a few weeks and see how you like them. See if they keep you from being hungry and after a couple of weeks if they cut your cravings, if you have them.

You didn't mention keto which is fine. One does not have to be in ketosis to lose weight. At least I'm evidence of that. Good luck!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It can be helpful to use scales, measuring cups & spoons, etc., so that you're not guestimating the amounts you're eating.

Whenever I think I've got it down and do a reality check after a couple weeks of not measuring, somehow my portion sizes have grown. :s
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    This is exactly my situation, no known medical issues, just fat lol I find it hard also and too restrictive to stick with the 20g keto limit, so I might try to increase to between 40g and 50g, and see how that goes.

I just love how LCHF keeps you feeling and satisfied.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    cjjh123 wrote: »
    @nvmomketo I eat about 1500 ish a day now.

That might be a good level for you. That's what I ate when I was losing. I was at 1500kcal per day and about 20g of carbs. The only difference was the fat and protein; I was lower in protein (70 something) and higher in fat. Not better or worse, just different. ;)

I was losing pretty steady with 1500kcal. If you are anything like me, that would work for losing. I am 5'8" and had about 40 or so lbs to lose.