Frequent Traveler

Options
NatashaTM
NatashaTM Posts: 28 Member
I travel every other week for work, and sometimes my only option is fast food/restaurants. Honestly, I crave food the second I'm in the airport, it's so weird.

Any tips, suggestions for keeping low carb on the run? I can only eat so many hard boiled eggs and the boredom of variety makes me snack and make poor choices.

Feel free to add me, also looking for like minded motivated people!

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    (Macadamia nuts - lots of fat & calories per ounce, TSA approved.)
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    When travelling I make a point of not snacking. You can almost always get a steak and green salad, or if you're thinking budget grab a burger and throw away the bun. Most cafe's and stuff in the airport will do a chicken salad or something similar. Throw some jerky in your bag for if you get stuck.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I travel heavily for work too, my diet is pretty boring on those days though to be honest. I tend to grab the protein pot from the airport, with smoked salmon and a hard boiled egg, I know, not your favourite lol. Breakfast in the hotel is always easy because they have a huge buffet spread and there are lots of low/no carb choices - bacon, eggs in various forms, smoked salmon, smoked haddock, deli meats, smoked meats, cheese... so I definitely eat a hearty breaky! Lunch is always a salad with Caesar dressing (even if it's not a Caesar salad, as the other dressing ingredients are too questionable), no croutons. And dinner is grilled meat and veg, no potatoes. Usually I just have a steak, but if they have a full grill menu, I'll switch it up sometimes to something else- salmon, venison, pork.

Traveling on a diet used to be so hard, for me now, it's never been easier! Albeit, yes, it's monotonous, but my diet at home gets a bit monotonous too,it doesn't bother me most days.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Bunch of suggestions here for what to order at various restaurants.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10452011/low-carb-dining-out/p1
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

You beat me to the link I was going to add.

Also, for airports, my favorite snacks are almonds and pumpkin seeds. I also have started bringing a can or two of sardines. They may not make you the most popular person if you decide to open them on the plane, but in the airport or at the hotel, they come in handy.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I immediately crave Starbucks when I get to the airport because that is what I've had so many times at the airport that it's just ingrained in me. Luckily someone posted yesterday that Starbucks now has these bacon egg breakfast bites. Think breakfast sandwich without the bun. Throwing that out there because Starbucks is not only guaranteed to be in every airport but also every street corner lol. Also, my airport in Atlanta has a Boars Head quick snacks stand. Not quite a vending machine, there is actually a clerk. But it says packaged cheese and pepperoni and other meat snacks. Maybe other airports have them. I would check out @Sunny_Bunny_'s link. For fast, on-the-go lunch my favorite is an unwhich from Jimmy Johns. I have pretty bad control when it comes to a sit down restaurant myself but most restaurants will have some sort of salmon or other seafood option with steam broccoli or something like that.
  • NatashaTM
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

Also, for airports, my favorite snacks are almonds and pumpkin seeds. I also have started bringing a can or two of sardines. They may not make you the most popular person if you decide to open them on the plane, but in the airport or at the hotel, they come in handy.

ewww sardines... I don't think I can stomach them. I do carry a ziplock of nut/seeds with me.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Dr. Bernstein's standard breakfast is sardines with Limburger cheese. (Maybe that would help...)
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Beef jerks or dry pepperoni. Chicken wings often a good option to switch things up.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Welcome!
    (Macadamia nuts - lots of fat & calories per ounce, TSA approved.)

Thumbs up for macadamias! I lost water in my RV due to freeze damage so lived off of macadamias and tuna salad on microwaved cheese crisps for most of the holiday season (when I wasn't at my sister's house...when I was there, I ate a LOT of turkey and endulged once in apple slices dipped in a wonderful cheese fondue she made).
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Dr. Bernstein's standard breakfast is sardines with Limburger cheese. (Maybe that would help...)

Dr. Bernstein must be wonderfully free of all communicable diseases, since very few people would voluntarily come within 20 feet of him. No mononucleosis for you, Doctor B!!
  • cstehansen
    Options
    NatashaTM wrote: »

ewww sardines... I don't think I can stomach them. I do carry a ziplock of nut/seeds with me.

I avoided sardines for years because they looked and sounded disgusting. Then about a year and a half ago after getting the T2 diagnosis, it came up that these are a great food for someone with T2 so I bought a can. I went out into my back yard to open them and eat them so I would not be restricted if I needed to quickly spit them out or if they made me hurl. Turns out, they are pretty good. You just have to avoid the ones in soybean oil because soybean oil is only slightly above high fructose corn syrup on my list of things to avoid. The best are in olive oil. Mustard sauce is also good.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I try and cheat when flying - if I have any kind of morning flight I can get away with just not eating (and realistically I always nap on the plane and im sitting still for 5+ hours its not like im burning calories). For afternoon evening flights I often pack something. Grain free crackers and cheese keep very well, as do nuts. I often make do at the pub, and throwing away the bun from my burger or asking if they will turn my fries into some kind of salad has worked well for me
  • RalfLott
    Options

I avoided sardines for years because they looked and sounded disgusting. Then about a year and a half ago after getting the T2 diagnosis, it came up that these are a great food for someone with T2 so I bought a can. I went out into my back yard to open them and eat them so I would not be restricted if I needed to quickly spit them out or if they made me hurl. Turns out, they are pretty good. You just have to avoid the ones in soybean oil because soybean oil is only slightly above high fructose corn syrup on my list of things to avoid. The best are in olive oil. Mustard sauce is also good.

I've had good luck with Wild Planet and Seasons. Any other brands you like?
  • cstehansen
    Options

I've had good luck with Wild Planet and Seasons. Any other brands you like?

I have not had Wild Planet, but I did like the Seasons brand in olive oil I had earlier this week. To be honest, I haven't paid that much attention to brands.
  • NatashaTM
    Options

I would have to hold my nose and swallow... I can't stand them!!!

• NatashaTM
    Options
    I try and cheat when flying - if I have any kind of morning flight I can get away with just not eating (and realistically I always nap on the plane and im sitting still for 5+ hours its not like im burning calories). For afternoon evening flights I often pack something. Grain free crackers and cheese keep very well, as do nuts. I often make do at the pub, and throwing away the bun from my burger or asking if they will turn my fries into some kind of salad has worked well for me

I will be flying to Arizona, then up to LA from Maryland, so many hours of flying in the morning. I will pack pepperoni, ham, eggs, and cheese with nuts. I know I can't bring an icepack through TSA so have to stick to cured meats and cheese.