I'd love to hear everyone's recent NSV

Options
jemethyst
jemethyst Posts: 107 Member
Or even not so recent! What was your first NSV, your most recent, most memorable?
I didn't think to do measurements when starting this journey so I don't want to start now. I'm judging things by lbs lost, clothes, and NSVs. Sometimes the NSVs mean more to us than a number drop!

I had my first NSV yesterday and didn't mention to my BFF because I didn't think she would understand. I rode in her car yesterday to the park we did our walk at.... When I buckled I didn't have to do the typical suck in/strain and fighting to get the seat belt to click in place! ( i did still kinda suck in out of habit) That has been an issue for me in her car, sometimes I even gave up previously and just held the seatbelt since i couldnt get it to reach. A woohoo for getting a seatbelt to buckle without a fight!

Replies

• bigmama65
    bigmama65 Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    Or even not so recent! What was your first NSV, your most recent, most memorable?
    I didn't think to do measurements when starting this journey so I don't want to start now. I'm judging things by lbs lost, clothes, and NSVs. Sometimes the NSVs mean more to us than a number drop!

I had my first NSV yesterday and didn't mention to my BFF because I didn't think she would understand. I rode in her car yesterday to the park we did our walk at.... When I buckled I didn't have to do the typical suck in/strain and fighting to get the seat belt to click in place! ( i did still kinda suck in out of habit) That has been an issue for me in her car, sometimes I even gave up previously and just held the seatbelt since i couldnt get it to reach. A woohoo for getting a seatbelt to buckle without a fight!

I hear you and understand the seatbelt situation. I have also just held some seatbelts that just wouldn't get in. It is always in the back of my mind when I get into someone's car if the seatbelt will fit. Or thinking will that booth fit me? I bet most of everyone who is 300/400 lbs can understand. I joined MFP in 2010 and had a great 6 months and lost 40lbs. But since then I have gained it all back and some. In the past year I honestly come on MFP every few days but my head hasn't been on track to lose weight. I say ok today is the day and then I eat 2 huge sandwiches for lunch...or a sleeve of crackers. Anyway long story short and to answer your post. Yesterday I had a HUGE NSV - I made it through one whole day (first time in months and months) without going over my calories and eating only healthy foods. To some this may seem simple but to me - I haven't been able to honestly post one good day. Happy to report its 3pm now on day 2 and I am still on track and plan on making my day 2!!!:drinker:

BTW I think that is an awesome NSV you had. Congrats :flowerforyou:
  • jemethyst
    Options
    Congrats on your NSV yesterday! when in that kind of rut for months being able to have a successful day is a huge feat!

Eating something not exactly healthy, but a single portion size of it can make a great difference so don't beat yourself up over all the types of foods.... If you crave the crackers, chips, cookies, etc count out a portions worth, put away the package, eat and enjoy, give it time to settle and see if you want more. I know it's easier said then done (trust me) but it helps make us think first. I allow myself some of those things, and log the calories, and move on because I don't plan to forbid myself of those goodies for the rest of my life. I'm trying to change how I think about food and not treat this as a short term diet, but a learning process for changing my eating and exercise lifestyle. Last night I had one serving of Doritos and 8 oz regular coke, wanted more so I counted out 1/2 serving of Doritos and was satisfied...and only momentarily felt guilty, and only momentarily felt silly counting out 11 chips :). I've learned if I allow a craving at the time of craving my portion is smaller, and I don't hide the fact that I'm eating it.

And booths, my first thoughts tend to be "does the table move so I can slide it out some?"

Ill definitely keep you in mind today' and hope to hear back that you had another success day!
  • Afields6780
    Afields6780 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Being on the bigger side the fact that I have lost 47 pounds doesn't really show that well... I look in the mirror and see the same thing i saw on 4/27 my start date!! I have started to notice little things though... The seat belt thing was a big one for me too!! I had to buy a extender in my van because i have short legs and if i put the seat back all the way to fit there was no way that it was going to buckle. I did the whole not buckle thing until my children got on my case and I decided to buy a extender. I can almost buckle without the use of it not quite yet but he fact that it is smaller makes me smile because i know i am on the right track. This one is kinda a hard one to admit but being 450 pounds left it hard to accomplish things like standing for long periods of time. This was actually my first NSV!! I actually cooked dinner cleaned up and served it to my children without sitting down and taking a break half way!! Every day things are getting a little easier but it wasn't until I started noticing little things like this that I realized how important me getting healthy really is and how far I had actually been. I am so proud of every single person on here who has tried will try and is trying to do this journey because it is the hardest thing I have ever done. Not necessarily the changing my food habits but the emotional roller coast and actually dealing with what brought me to where I was on that day and what continues to challenge me. I have to say that having kids didn't cause me to be fat but it didn't help me one bit having four kids three in less that four years. I think that I have always been the one to take care of others and never really put effort into my self.... but having kids just took it to a whole new level!! I totally lost my self and put me on the back burner and turned basically into a robot changing diapers cleaning the house and taking care of my family. I fell down and my sons birthday party at the start of April this year and I had a hard time getting up. I saw everyone staring at me.. fat me on the floor was humiliating. I said at that very moment that this is my changing day!! I am so excited to live life again and not be worried about fitting in the seat at the ball game or fitting in the booth. I want to experience life. I don't feel the need to be super skinny or and my lowest weight in my life I just want to be what I and my doctors would consider a health weight that allows me to be the best mom I can be :o) I am looking forward to many many many more Non Scale victory moments!!! Good luck to all of you!
  • jemethyst
    Options
    Congrats on your NSVs so far! You are difinitely right, once we reach a certain size it's hard to see the pounds that we've lost so far, these NSVs are important no matter how small.
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hi I haven't been here for a while but I was one of the first members of the group anyways I loved reading each of your posts about your NSV I can relate to many of them
    One of my first NSV was the day I rode my bike over a mile then over three then 7 then the days I conquered the hills in my subdivision. Lots of mine are fitness goals i set for myself to reach.
    I started here at 349 but my highest weight was 370 I am now 311 I can really relate to Afields bout the not being able to stand...etc. I could hardly get up from my furniture I used to have to have my husband help me step up onto a curb walking from my car to the entrance of the grocery store bout killed me and ever step was so painful to my feet I couldn't pick things up. Off of my floor I had a rehab reacher I used to grab my clean clothes out of the dryer with..... Each time I noticed one of those things changing was a NSV. THE MOST FUN ONES WERE MY CLOTHES GETTING TOO BIG oops anyways currently I am focused on mileage goals on my bike and going farther I want to accomplish 20 miles by sept 1st

Other NSV I am looking forward to being able to go to the movies again and fit in the seat, going on a plane again -ok that will be a big one lol
    I want to encourage each of u to keep moving forward don't give up and rely on each other some of my best MFP friends have come from this very group and it is so cool to watch them become free of the weight, the obsession and the chains that bind them.
    RaNae
  • Blossom59
    Blossom59 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I wore a blouse to work this week that I bought this spring. It was falling off of me so bad that I had to go home at lunch and change!!!! I also went to doctor this week and he did not get onto me. My blood work was good and he told me to keep up the good work!!!
  • jemethyst
    Options
    Thank you RaNae for sharing and congrats on your awesome NSVs! Hearing everyone's NSVs helps remind me of why I'm doing this and helps me see my own NSVs that maybe I wouldn't have noticed before. I too have been able to relate to many of the hurdles mentioned, and I'm really unable to express how it makes me feel to know there are indeed other people here that truly understand what I'm going through.

Blossom, yea for having your blouse falling off! (How often would that sound like a good thing :) ) But going to the doc and them telling you to keep up th good work, and good blood work....that is amazingly good news! WTG
  • tracy_getsfit
    tracy_getsfit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I had mine this weekend also...I have lost 33 lbs since starting my journey..and 6 since I joing MFP.

But my first major one is when my 4 year old gave me a hug and said mommy I can reach around your tummy!

The inches seems to be shedding there the fastest...

Man talk about a tear...I cannot wait till him and I can start running around a soccer field together!
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I had mine this weekend also...I have lost 33 lbs since starting my journey..and 6 since I joing MFP.

But my first major one is when my 4 year old gave me a hug and said mommy I can reach around your tummy!

The inches seems to be shedding there the fastest...

Man talk about a tear...I cannot wait till him and I can start running around a soccer field together!
    Congrats that is so special and awesome
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    A recent NSV I have had is concurring a new cardio machine. About 6 weeks ago, I used a new machine at the gym at the urging of the director. The first few times I used it, I couldn't last more than a couple of minutes, and that was with having to stop every 20-30 seconds to stop the aching in my legs. I can now go 30 minutes, and can often go the first 10 minutes or a little longer before I have to stop to take a break.
  • SucculentGoddess
    SucculentGoddess Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Congratulations all of you
    I have loved reading this thread
    I found this group today and have joined cos i am now in this weight range ......Heaviest weight 450's
    Started my very first serious life changing with MFP 26th June this year at 414.7lbs 188.1kg and today i am 398.2lb 180.6kg

I hear you all about car seatbelts
    I have a toyota hybrid with luckily has a fabulous seatbelt and havent done the suck in since i got it in 2008
    but i know the difficulty of trying to drive a friends car and not fitting behind the wheel
    which is just not on

I wear elastic waist jeans with a drawstring as i have lots of fluid issues in my legs
    I choose them cos i have great wide leg jeans in a huge size and draw string the waist to fit my waist size that doesnt suffer changes due to fluid.
    Today i pulled on my jeans which have had the waist knotted for a fews years
    and i had to adjust the waist cos it was just too big
    So after reading this thread i measured my waist and it is 2 and 3/4 inches smaller in just over a month!
    I love that
    and i smiled like a huge happy smiling woman
    SG
  • Highlanderlover
    Options
    I had bought this dress back in December and I hadn't been able to fit into it or even get it up over my hips..but tried it on today and It fit really good and zipped up in the back...Was a really great feeling!
    Even though I have lost 71 pounds I still don't feel like i have lost anything to where someone else would notice.
  • xjoseyx
    xjoseyx Posts: 74
    Options
    I started swimming a few months ago. When I first started I could just about swim 10 laps.Yesterday I swam 50 and I could have probably done another 15-20 but time was running out. Im a little sore today but its ok. I'll take it :happy:
  • jemethyst
    Options
    Wow, such great NSVs the last few days! Succulentgoddess...great job getting under 400, and you're still going strong I know! Readjusting that knot felt soo good I bet!
    ..Highlanderlover....71lbs is no small feat, you go girl in that awesome black dress! Sometime others don't say anything cause they either aren't sure, don't know how it would be received, or who knows! What really matters is that you can tell, and that you are on a great path! Keep it up!
    ...josey....your dedication is showing, from 10 to 50 laps...all I can say is WOW

I love hearing about all these NSVs!
  • SucculentGoddess
    SucculentGoddess Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    50 laps is so amazing
    a 500% increase is truly amazing
    I was wonder what size pool you were swimming
    Of course i am picturing you stronger and fitter than Olympic athletes here!!!
  • cmorga02
    cmorga02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I actually had two this morning. I weighed in and am under 340lbs for the first time in forever.

The second was that as I was getting dressed for work, I was buckling my belt and two more notches/holes buckled. I didn't really try in the past but I tried and success. I only use one less notch because the second was a little tight, but still!
  • jemethyst
    Options
    Going down a notch is AWESOME, and even tightly the second notch...woohoo!! Congrats on that and your weight loss so far!
  • eys81
    eys81 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love readings all these NSV's - they are inspiring!

My recent NSV is really just a change in mind set. I've always been big and wanted to be smaller and thought that "once I lost the weight then _____" you can fill in the blank with so much - then I'll be worthy, pretty, able to wear nice clothes, sexy, a better friend, a better mom. Like once I lose the weight then my life will start. Although losing weight will help facilitate some of those things obviously, I'm just coming to realize that its ok to enjoy being myself and loving my life in the mean time.

I don't know if that makes sense but it feels like a huge shift for me. Its a game changer in the way I think about myself and my self-sabotage habits. Its ok for me to be happy and enjoy the ride now, rather than waiting for someday when I reach a magic number. :bigsmile:
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options

My recent NSV is really just a change in mind set. I've always been big and wanted to be smaller and thought that "once I lost the weight then _____" you can fill in the blank with so much - then I'll be worthy, pretty, able to wear nice clothes, sexy, a better friend, a better mom. Like once I lose the weight then my life will start. Although losing weight will help facilitate some of those things obviously, I'm just coming to realize that its ok to enjoy being myself and loving my life in the mean time.

I don't know if that makes sense but it feels like a huge shift for me. Its a game changer in the way I think about myself and my self-sabotage habits. Its ok for me to be happy and enjoy the ride now, rather than waiting for someday when I reach a magic number. :bigsmile:

I know exactly what you mean. For many years, I have non-lived my life using that same mindset. But now I am trying to get past that. I am worthy NOW. I am loveable NOW. I am beautiful NOW. I can have fun NOW.
    And so can you. :flowerforyou:
  • jemethyst
    Options

I have felt the same for so long, so I too understand... That truly is an amazing NSV!