Rally Around Me Troops - Needing Encouragement Today!

2»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    My apologies if this has already been suggested.

The Charlie Foundation has a lot of resources on therapeitic ketogenic diets and may be able to refer you to a genuinely qualified nutritionist.

http://www.charliefoundation.org/

Beth Zupec-Kania is a Charlie Foundation consultant and appears very knowledgeable and experienced. (And nice!)

https://youtu.be/rXZ-HaJo4-s

-
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    cstehansen wrote: »
    swezeytba wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »
    swezeytba wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »
    And 243 grams of fat daily? @swezeytba

You know that is weird.....It isn't that much...It's only 108. My thinking was that since my macro percentages are 75/20/5 that my carbs + protein = 25 and fat @ 75 would be a 3:1 ratio, but the grams don't calculate out that way at all......

I had a sneaking suspicion. You are eating sightly over 1:1. 108 grams of fat and 81 grams p/c.

3:1 is extremely high fat. For every 3 grams of fat you have you can only have 1 gram of combined p/c. That's why everything you read says these diets are so hard to stick to. My math indicated you must have about a 1300 calorie diet? You need ~123 fat grams and 41 combined protein/carbs to be close to 3:1. I could be off so someone feel free to correct. Additionally with only 41 combined protein/carbs, you can see where that will be pretty low protein and input from a Registered Dietitian is advised.

Especially since you are on medication and keto is an adjunct at this point.

Yes...definitely....That low of protein would be hard to sustain. It would not be advisable to start a diet like that without some sort of medical advisement.

I guess technically I'm really more in line with the Modified Atkins Diet which is one of the three alternative diets used to treat epilepsy per the Epilepsy Foundation Website other than the fact that there is not protein restriction with that plan and I was trying to restrict my protein levels (or so I thought). :)

This extreme ratio is probably why the carb level for therapeutic purposes is frequently so low to the point of nearing 0 is just to allow for enough protein to maintain lean mass.

Actually makes a lot of sense if you think about it that way.....
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    There is also the Low Glycemic Diet and MCT Oil Diet for Epilepsy. Both allow considerably more carps/protein. I've not looked at Low Glycemic but have, MCT. I'm "supplementing" with MCT Oil as a "cushion"/part of my fats even though I don't go over my c/p grams.

Also read on: Matthew'sFriends.Org.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    @RalfLott THANK YOU for that video above. I have been searching and searching for the specific information provided on the chart @ 3-4 minutes. I am mostly interested in the MCT Oil Diet but was only ever able to find bits regarding carbs and nothing specific regarding protein.

I was very interested in a couple of her comments regarding supplements and medicine and toxicity when on a ketogenic diet as well as her emphasis that one's 1st source of micro nutrients should be a food source.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Thanks for all the comments, info and the video.....I was off the forum most of the weekend as I caught a dang cold so it took me a while to get back to this post today.