No or Low Carb healthy Fats

Options
2»

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Low energy when you're eating enough food overall is most certainly low sodium.

Possibly, but the more I look into it, the more absurdly complex it becomes. Iron, potassium, calcium, vitamin D, zinc, magnesium, B vitamins, vitamin C...you know, it might be easier to list nutrients that a deficiency of won't impact energy levels and/or physical performance.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Possibly, but the more I look into it, the more absurdly complex it becomes. Iron, potassium, calcium, vitamin D, zinc, magnesium, B vitamins, vitamin C...you know, it might be easier to list nutrients that a deficiency of won't impact energy levels and/or physical performance.

Ok but we know without a doubt that sodium quickly becomes an issue with low carb... so it's a ver easy one to address and get fast results.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Ok but we know without a doubt that sodium quickly becomes an issue with low carb... so it's a ver easy one to address and get fast results.

Most definitely. Kind of like diagnosing anything: start with the easiest problem to fix first. "Is it plugged in?" ;)
  • NatashaTM
    NatashaTM Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome. I have low blood pressure naturally, and at the gym yesterday I was a little light headed, assumed my blood pressure bottomed out too low... which is usually a result of low sodium. I didn't think about, but I will focus on incorporating more salt into my diet.

I will provide an update.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    NatashaTM wrote: »
    Are you finding yourself hungry too soon after meals? Because you don't have to eat a certain amount of fat. You just need each meal to have enough protein and fat that it satisfies you for several hours. If that's happening, you're doing just fine.
    xuwel5cen5dl.jpg

x4ybrxo5u5dd.jpg

This does NOT mean to eat low fat. It just means that part of your daily fat macro is supposed to be from your body.

I am not hungry, but I feel like I am eating too much protein. I eat around 120g protein a day, is that too much?? I am trying to balance and I read increasing my fat will help balance.

I keep my protein around 65-70. They say women should keep around 60-75g of protein. my fat is around 100 - 130g. your protein and fat amounts shouldn't be in the same range.

See that is where my problem is, I am consuming a lot of protein and low carb, so I have to up my fats

What you can get away with in terms of protein is highly variable. If you are IR, it is much lower than average. If you are very active (especially with strength training) it can be higher than average.

Even then, you have experts on the low end saying you only need 0.8 g per kg of lean body weight. You have those in the OKL crowd who say you should have a minimum of 2 g per kg of lean body weight.

Dr. Phinney, who, I think most in the keto community would call one of the leading experts, recommends 1.5-2.0 g per kg of your ideal body weight. This ideal body weight is a bit more flexible than lean body weight, but I think it is easier for most of us to guesstimate. So if your ideal body weight is 60 kg (132 lbs), then his range would be 90-120 g per day.

The low end guys (Jason Fung for example) for the same person would assume a 25% body fat for a woman which would take lean body mass down to 45 kg (99 lbs) and have the minimum be 36 g per day.

Those are HUGE variances which are all within the broadly accepted keto world. What you need to ask yourself is what level is right for YOU. If you are able to maintain ketosis at 120 g of protein per day and are not IR, you are probably OK. If you are finding you are going in and out of ketosis, you may need to lower your protein.

I have been experimenting for several months now and found based on my activity level (very high) and the fact I am not IR, I am able to easily stay in ketosis at the high end and sometimes even going a bit over Dr. Phinney's range. There are others in this group who struggle to get into ketosis without going all the way down to the Jason Fung levels.

So much this!
    I'm seeing a whole lot of people saying that numbers like 120g for a woman is high protein. No. Not really. Maybe it's on the high end of a recommended range... but that's not the same as being high. That would be more like 175g-200g... and if you're not hyperinsulinemic you don't have to worry about the whole "protein turns into sugar" fears that are literally scaring people so much that there are people barely getting 30g a day. Day after day after day and they think they are doing keto the "right way".
    I keep seeing people saying "lower protein, eat more fat" and "eat twice as much fat as protein or it's 'not keto'" ridiculous!
    Are you maintaining ketosis eating 120g a day? Then you're keto. Maybe not medically therapeutic keto, but if you don't have epilepsy, Alzheimer's or cancer, there's absolutely no reason to aim for that. It's freakin crazy!

If you want your body to burn bodyfat, then back off on dietary fat a bit. That's how it works.

Ugh, yeah. The 60-75g that "they" recommend is just to maintain base level lean body mass.

Even my insulin resistant, hyperinsulinemic butt can handle 120g protein no problem. In fact, even upwards of 160g was just fine while I was doing zero carb (and, my BG and insulin numbers were at their best during that time).
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I need to get more fat in my diet. I am cooking with grass fed organic butter, and coconut oil, but I am running out of ideas in incorporating fat into my diet.

The thought of butter in my coffee kind of irks me.

I am currently pushing for under 20-25g carbs per day, I prefer my carbs to come from veggies if at all possible.

I had to laugh at that! My first impression when talking about "bulletproof coffee" was butter in coffee...eewww! But it is rather good, at least to me. 1 tablespoon Butter -- grass fed or not, unsalted or not...I prefer the salted. 1 tablespoon of coconut oil -- organic or not, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional) put all that in a blender with 16 ounces of brewed coffee and blend it for a few seconds and it turns out creamy and frothy and in my personal opinion yummy ( tsp unsweetened cocoa powder, a few drops of stevia...keto hot chocolate)
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Guacamole for MUFAs...its green, so close enough to being a vegetable (liberal interpretation) when in fact it is a fruit. Worthy of a few net carbohydrates
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options

You've gotten lots of good advice from others here and if you aren't looking for a coffee alternative please disregard, but if you would like something to fatten up your coffee a bit try mascarpone cheese. Similar to cream cheese, but way smoother and creamier (I think it's what they use for tiramisu). Tried it once and now I'm hooked~!
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited January 2017
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »

You've gotten lots of good advice from others here and if you aren't looking for a coffee alternative please disregard, but if you would like something to fatten up your coffee a bit try mascarpone cheese. Similar to cream cheese, but way smoother and creamier (I think it's what they use for tiramisu). Tried it once and now I'm hooked~!

Yeap, it's the cheese used in tiramisu, and it's amazing. I could eat a whole tub of the stuff, and it has one of the highest fat to carb and protein ratios I've ever seen, outside of a straight oil.