Keto-test

Options
mommabenefield
mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
jww0ta683ri4.jpg

I don't know if this is good bad or neutral but this is the best reading I've gotten so I'm excited B):D

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It's neutral.
    Any color at all indicates ketosis. That's all you need on a urine test if that's what you're going for.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! @Sunny_Bunny_ that does help I just bought these so I could try to Keep myself on track in some sort of measurement :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Thanks!!! @Sunny_Bunny_ that does help I just bought these so I could try to Keep myself on track in some sort of measurement :)

I use them too sometimes. It's just curiosity really.
    But there's something reassuring about seeing some color on there.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options

I understand completely. I'm also the type that likes to have some sort of metric I can see. As long as you don't get too caught up in the color or "level" of ketosis and just look for yay or nay, I think it's fine.
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Once your body is fat adapted these strips are unreliable as your body is no longer dumping ketones into your urine
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Libellue23 wrote: »
    Once your body is fat adapted these strips are unreliable as your body is no longer dumping ketones into your urine

That's not really true. I still turn those things dark after almost 2 years.
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    They're not reliable for everyone, they are designed to detect ketoacidosis in diabetics. Not everyone who is in nutritional ketosis will continue to see a change on them once fat adapted.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    FYI, there are a couple discussions on ketostix filed under Open Threads in the Launch Pad:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited January 2017
    Options
    They're not reliable for everyone, they are designed to detect ketoacidosis in diabetics. Not everyone who is in nutritional ketosis will continue to see a change on them once fat adapted.

Right. Not everyone.
    I just wanted to clarify since your comment seemed absolute
    And they don't detect ketoscidosis, they just detect ketones. Ketoacidosis is a combination of things only one of which might hint at DKA using these strips.
    I'm very experienced with T1D and DKA
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Right. Not everyone.
    And they don't detect ketoscidosis, they just detect ketones. Ketoacidosis is a combination of things only one of which might hint at DKA using these strips.

Good points.

Do you think there's much likelihood of false positives from ketostix? (Could acetoacetate not only be produced in ketosis but also, possibly, dumped from adipose tissue during weight loss?)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Right. Not everyone.

Good points.

Do you think there's much likelihood of false positives from ketostix? (Could acetoacetate not only be produced in ketosis but also, possibly, dumped from adipose tissue during weight loss?)

Either it's present or it's not. So no chance of false positive.

"Dumped from adipose tissue" would be burning fat right? That even happens to sugar burners. It's how they lose fat. Their burned fat is broken down into ketones but it would be so low to be immeasurable in a urine strip and simply burning fat isn't the same as ketosis.

What the strips definitely DO NOT tell you is where the ketones came from. Body fat or from your plate. So they DO NOT indicate burning body fat at all, except for a T1D without insulin and high blood sugar. Then you know it's body fat. For the rest of us, we only know it's body fat if we are between meals long enough or we know it's at least partially body fat if we aren't supplying 100% the fat we need by mouth.

If I eat eggs, bacon and have some MCT oil in my coffee and test positive for ketones a little afterward, It's a safe guess those ketones are byproduct of my breakfast. If I drink black coffee and fast til lunch, it's pretty safe to say those ketones came from a 2 year old box of candy I devoured in my car on the way home one day so nobody would know. ;)
    I have a lot of stored boxes of candy to use up.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    LOL @Sunny_Bunnie. A 2 year old box of candy..... :#:p:)