New to Keto

Options
nlwright4
nlwright4 Posts: 11 Member
I was considering surgery but before my doctor would consider it He needs me to get down to safe weight to operate. I was placed on a very low calorie meal plan to help shrink the liver and send my body into ketosis. I have three protein shakes per day, I am allowed two snack like a sugar free jello cup or a sugar free popsicle. And my one meal consists of about 4 oz of lean meat and either 2 cup of salad greens or 1 cup of cook veggies (no beans, peas or corn) Its been 3 week now and I can say I feel great but my taste buds are bored as hell. lmao :smile:

I joined to get some tips and support. Just wanted know if anyone has any alternatives that can add to my success or prevent me from even getting surgery. I will admit I am morbidly obese weighing in at about 803 when I started now down to 782. I also workout with a trainer 3 days per week. I three kids that I want and need to stick around for. I'm 36 and highly motivate.

Please feel free to add me my diary is open and so is my mind.

Replies

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking charge and control!

If you want to go through with surgery, stick to the pre-op diet as prescribed. I'm very familiar because my wife and sister-in-law have had bypass surgery.

On the other hand, if you're committed to giving nutrition changes another shot then there are great resources around here to help put variety back into your nutrition. Remember healthy fats = satiety. So ditch the processed, refined and bleached carbs(sugars) and focus on leafy greens and kinda your choice of protein sources. I like a balance of lean and fatty meats (the fatty ones are the most fun! ;) ). I'm also completely convinced that guacamole is the answer to almost every question!

Good luck brother, feel free to friend me, and I wish you all the success!!!
  • nlwright4
    Options
    @XavierNusum Thanks for the support. I will be sticking to the pre-op diet for as long as I can. I have made it my everyday diet now just trying to get down to the 650 range.
  • ministrmom83
    ministrmom83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Best wishes for your success with the pre-op diet! I had gastric bypass surgery about 12 years ago, and wish I had tried a ketogenic diet beforehand. I still struggled with my weight until about 2 years ago, when I adopted a gluten-free, low carb, high fat diet that changed into a keto diet. I had to eventually add in enough carbs to get out of ketosis, because I had actually lost too much weight. Yes, that's possible. I had to carry around a foam pad to sit on because my butt got too bony. In retrospect, I probably could have lost all the weight without surgery, except I kept trying to stick to that "healthy low fat diet," which made me fat in the first place.

I can understand why your taste buds are bored. Maybe ask the doctor about the whole range of keto eating. I find keto to be the most tasty and satisfying way to eat, at least once I adapt to it. I'm back on it to help my neurological condition, and am going through the keto flu right now and really struggling.

I do agree with Xavier that guacamole, or at least avocados, are the answer to everything. Butter too. I made myself a smoothie this evening with an avocado, the juice of a lime, some almond milk, a big handful of spinach, some MCT oil, and a scoop of low carb protein powder. So yummy, so much fiber and nutrition, and so filling.

Work with your doctor to find a way to make your eating plan something that you enjoy and find satisfying, so you can commit to it for the long term. Low carb and keto can be really great ways of eating for a longer, healthier, life without feeling deprived. Good luck with it all, and let those beautiful children of yours help you keep your goals in mind.
  • nlwright4
    Options
    Thank you @ministrmom83 for sharing your story and I find your comments also to be very encouraging. I keep thinking to myself that If I can get down from 800 to 650 on the pre-op diet alone, then why would I have the surgery. I'm still a little torn, but you are not the first person to tell me that they may have been able to loose the weight without surgery just sticking to keto. It really gives me something to consider. Truthfully I don't want the surgery, the thought of it kinda scares me, but I've been willing to do it because I want to be here for my kids. I feel like I'm missing too much of them because of my restriction and what my body won't allow me to do.

I will check with the doctor to find out what all of my allowable foods are so that I may change things up a little. But I will be sticking with this because my motivation is high and I have more important things in life to do besides eat. I want to eat to live, not live to eat. Im glad I joined this group you are all so encouraging.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Best wishes for your success with the pre-op diet! I had gastric bypass surgery about 12 years ago, and wish I had tried a ketogenic diet beforehand. I still struggled with my weight until about 2 years ago, when I adopted a gluten-free, low carb, high fat diet that changed into a keto diet. I had to eventually add in enough carbs to get out of ketosis, because I had actually lost too much weight. Yes, that's possible. I had to carry around a foam pad to sit on because my butt got too bony. In retrospect, I probably could have lost all the weight without surgery, except I kept trying to stick to that "healthy low fat diet," which made me fat in the first place.

I can understand why your taste buds are bored. Maybe ask the doctor about the whole range of keto eating. I find keto to be the most tasty and satisfying way to eat, at least once I adapt to it. I'm back on it to help my neurological condition, and am going through the keto flu right now and really struggling.

I do agree with Xavier that guacamole, or at least avocados, are the answer to everything. Butter too. I made myself a smoothie this evening with an avocado, the juice of a lime, some almond milk, a big handful of spinach, some MCT oil, and a scoop of low carb protein powder. So yummy, so much fiber and nutrition, and so filling.

Work with your doctor to find a way to make your eating plan something that you enjoy and find satisfying, so you can commit to it for the long term. Low carb and keto can be really great ways of eating for a longer, healthier, life without feeling deprived. Good luck with it all, and let those beautiful children of yours help you keep your goals in mind.

@ministrmom83 - The so-called keto flu is 100% avoidable. It is all about electrolyte balances. While adapting, most people need to replace at least 3000 - 5000 mg of sodium that the body is dumping - carbs hold in water, with water dumping, sodium goes too, and this will eventually deplete your magnesium stores, and possibly potassium, too, if you are sensitive to it. Remember, this is replacing what your body is dumping... Try to stay away from table salt (sodium chloride), as it is chemically engineered and harder on the body, but it is better than nothing. Natural sea salts are my personal choice... Add in bouillon broth/bone broth - salted, pickles (juice, too), olives, preserved meats (naturally if possible), etc. At worst, salt crystals can be swallowed like pills or ground salt mixed into water, etc. And remember, in my experience, most folks need to maintain that sodium level throughout their time in ketosis. So if at any point, you feel this sensation coming back on, add some salt. Also, since most soils are depleted of magnesium due to lack of crop rotations, pesticides, and GMO's, etc., please consider adding a magnesium supplement if you aren't eating all grass-fed and organic foods... THIS LINK is a good one as far as determining which form of magnesium is likely best for you. I would definitely add a few dashes of salt to that nutritional smoothie! It would hide amongst the flavors and help restore your depleted resources.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited January 2017
    Options
    nlwright4 wrote: »
    Thank you @ministrmom83 for sharing your story and I find your comments also to be very encouraging. I keep thinking to myself that If I can get down from 800 to 650 on the pre-op diet alone, then why would I have the surgery. I'm still a little torn, but you are not the first person to tell me that they may have been able to loose the weight without surgery just sticking to keto. It really gives me something to consider. Truthfully I don't want the surgery, the thought of it kinda scares me, but I've been willing to do it because I want to be here for my kids. I feel like I'm missing too much of them because of my restriction and what my body won't allow me to do.

I will check with the doctor to find out what all of my allowable foods are so that I may change things up a little. But I will be sticking with this because my motivation is high and I have more important things in life to do besides eat. I want to eat to live, not live to eat. Im glad I joined this group you are all so encouraging.

@nlwright4 - I am on the side that chose not to have surgery, and I'm in that space between confidence in that choice and wishing I'd had it. There is a great deal of research now showing that using a combination of nutritional ketosis and weight loss surgery is one of the only major ways that people who were as significantly overweight as you are have a true chance to keep it all off. Mainly this happens because we still keep all of our fat cells, even once they are emptied. Our loose skin stays. And the body has difficulty accepting the new weight limits, knowing where it used to be. The body does NOT like change, and it aims for stasis - staying level - but it wants to do that by leveling up ... meaning it wants to fill all the fat cells, get back up there, then stay there... The body doesn't like losing weight, even to get to healthy levels, because the body's warning signs are like a overreacting drama queen. But something in the drastic changes of WLS tends to help rewire the body's expectations. I don't completely understand the science of it, but it is there.

I started at 319, got down to 250, back up to 275, started keto in there and got down to 240 before my thyroid stalled out on me (3 separate times over 18 months), and I'm now in the 275 ballpark again. I can't help but think that if I'd had surgery when I'd considered it (2009-2012) where I'd be today. In all likelihood, I'd be to a reasonable weight...

So please just keep that in mind. The surgery scared me too, but nowadays, the constant struggle and outlying health issues scare me more, I think. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck as you fight for your health!
  • kadydid2689
    kadydid2689 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just saw your post, how is it going? I had a wake up call when I stepped on a scale last week, and now I have done a complete lifestyle change!
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @nlwright4 Yeah, do you have an update for us? We'd love to know how you're doing :)
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    @nlwright4 Yeah, do you have an update for us? We'd love to know how you're doing :)

@nlwright4

It would be great to hear how you're doing! I do see your updates in my feed.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    This keto diet has saved my life. Dont even care if its boring sometimes...now life is my palette...even when its challenging. For me losing was easy...maintenence is still my albatross...but i do keep at it, and will until i get it right.
    Just take it day by day...l did give myself lots and lots of non food rewards as i went along. Doesnt have to be big or expensive...just things to motivate or encourage me every few pounds or when i hit a rough, slow patch.
    Its a long journey, but it gets better and better as you stick with it!
    Best of luck, pal!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @elize7 - Now life is my palette...

Such a fabulous concept! :)