Insulin resistance and fat

Options
I've been told I'm IR and need to limit my dairy intake so how do I get enough fat in my diet without eating dairy?

Avocados are $3-4 each here so it's an occasional treat not a everyday food I can afford

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Meat
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Pork butt, 73/27 ground beef, salmon, mackerel, herring, olive oil, avocado oil, chuck roast, rib eyes, olives, coconut, nuts, seeds, skin on chicken as a start.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Adding fat directly is easiest. Coconut oil, ghee, olive oil, etc.

Why no dairy? I don't think dairy restriction is a common treatment for IR. I could be wrong. :)
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Maybe your doctor meant milk? Milk is very high in carbs, especially skim. Real cheese, not American and other fake cheeses, are very low carb, high fat and supply calcium. Whipping cream for coffee is also a good idea.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »
    Maybe your doctor meant milk? Milk is very high in carbs, especially skim. Real cheese, not American and other fake cheeses, are very low carb, high fat and supply calcium. Whipping cream for coffee is also a good idea.

Have you ever seen carbs/cup or 2 oz. given for heavy cream rather than per cubic angstrøm or nanøliter?
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've been told I'm IR and need to limit my dairy intake so how do I get enough fat in my diet without eating dairy?

Avocados are $3-4 each here so it's an occasional treat not a everyday food I can afford

You should be able to eat cheese. It has a lot of fat and protein but very little carbs or sugars. Don't eat too much protein either since excess can be turned to glucose.

Cottage cheese and yogurt have more carbs (stuff I've looked at anyways). Cream has no carbs like already mentioned.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    For some of us who are insulin resistant, dairy can create an insulinogenic response, that is in this case a rise in insulin that is not proportionate to the amount of carbs in a food. This has a lot to do with whey, primarily, absent a casein sensitivity, by my understanding. However, further research I've done shows that sometimes using whey to increase insulin at the beginning of or appetizer-style before a meal can increase the insulin BEFORE the carbs arrive, which results in quicker processing of carbs within a meal leading to less blood glucose elevation that you might otherwise have, but that must be carefully managed and monitored.

That all being said, I still find it odd that we are the only species consuming the (breast)milk of another species, particularly when we know that milk is intended to increase a calf from around 500 pounds to well over 2000 pounds...and then we're surprised when that same dairy makes us gain weight... Definition of insanity, much? That being said, I'm insulin resistant, and I still consume dairy, though I do restrict or avoid it whenever I can.
  • curvytattooedprincess
    Options
    Thanks for all your feedback! My doctor mainly meant milk ( which I haven't had for 2 weeks anyways) but she did say too much cheese etc can also spike my insulin and just limit to one small serve a day.

How do you avoid eating too much protein when your eating eggs and meat at every meal?
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your feedback! My doctor mainly meant milk ( which I haven't had for 2 weeks anyways) but she did say too much cheese etc can also spike my insulin and just limit to one small serve a day.

How do you avoid eating too much protein when your eating eggs and meat at every meal?

There are multiple threads lately about protein. "Too much" can vary significantly from person to person. There are people on both extremes saying you have to keep it ridiculously low or others who say you have to have minimums that are pretty high to avoid losing lean mass.

The primary concern is typically not being able to get into or maintain ketosis if protein is too high. The fact you IR means you are more likely to have protein convert to glucose via gluconeogenesis. The more active you are, especially with strength training, the less likely this is to happen.

On the low end, your protein should be 0.8 g per kg of lean body mass. There are other groups that go as high as 2 g per lb of lean mass.

Drs. Phinney and Volek, who are likely the most well versed in keto say the number should be between 1.5 g and 2.0 grams per kg of your ideal body weight (0.68 g to 0.91 g per lb). So if you think your ideal body weight is 150 lbs, your protein intake should be between 102 and 136 g per day.

If you are not actively checking your BG and/or blood ketone level, then this is when you should start. Once you have stayed in this range for several days, you should be able to tell if you are within the tolerance range of your body. If your BG is spiking with this level or you are not getting into ketosis (assuming that is your goal), then start trying lower levels until you get the results you are looking to get.

The absolute bottom (0.8g per kg of lean mass with an ideal weight of 150 lbs and 25% bf) would be around 41 g of protein per day. Nearly all the experts will tell you that going below that will result in losing lean mass.
  • blambo61
    edited January 2017
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    For some of us who are insulin resistant, dairy can create an insulinogenic response, that is in this case a rise in insulin that is not proportionate to the amount of carbs in a food. This has a lot to do with whey, primarily, absent a casein sensitivity, by my understanding. However, further research I've done shows that sometimes using whey to increase insulin at the beginning of or appetizer-style before a meal can increase the insulin BEFORE the carbs arrive, which results in quicker processing of carbs within a meal leading to less blood glucose elevation that you might otherwise have, but that must be carefully managed and monitored.

That all being said, I still find it odd that we are the only species consuming the (breast)milk of another species, particularly when we know that milk is intended to increase a calf from around 500 pounds to well over 2000 pounds...and then we're surprised when that same dairy makes us gain weight... Definition of insanity, much? That being said, I'm insulin resistant, and I still consume dairy, though I do restrict or avoid it whenever I can.

What about cheese? Very low carb but could cause too much protein if consume too much.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

If you aren't choosing lean cuts, too much protein (whatever level you decide it is) should not be a problem. The fats will help fill you. If you are relying on protein to fill yourself, you may end up with a higher protein macro.
    ...That all being said, I still find it odd that we are the only species consuming the (breast)milk of another species, particularly when we know that milk is intended to increase a calf from around 500 pounds to well over 2000 pounds...and then we're surprised when that same dairy makes us gain weight... Definition of insanity, much? That being said, I'm insulin resistant, and I still consume dairy, though I do restrict or avoid it whenever I can.

LOL I try not to think about it. I haven't drank milk in years, but I do eat the more solid dairy items. They're less dairy-ish. ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »

What about cheese? Very low carb but could cause too much protein if consume too much.

@blambo61 - You would have to consume A LOT of cheese, depending on the type of cheese, of course, to get "too much protein" in comparison to fats... You'd probably approach your calorie goal first, honestly...
  • blambo61
    edited January 2017
    Options

@blambo61 - You would have to consume A LOT of cheese, depending on the type of cheese, of course, to get "too much protein" in comparison to fats... You'd probably approach your calorie goal first, honestly...

I can eat a lot of cheese! Please don't underestimate me :) I don't really count cals so I don't worry about that. My IF diet kind of takes care of that for me. Actually a few days ago I decided I was going to try LC for awhile to help with morning glucose levels. First night I put down 5 eggs and about 10 oz of mild chedder cheese. Don't know if I will do that again!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @blambo61 - There are a few threads already about getting fasting glucose levels to lower, but with Dawn Phenomenon, the fasting levels are of far less concern to most than postprandial testing and A1C values.

@RalfLott @cstehansen - Please confirm the testing and numbers information.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Dr Nally says his AM FBG is consistently around 105 but his A1c is consistently at 5.2. Dawn phenomenon happens for most as cortisol is released to get you moving when you first wake up and that elevates BG. If you are IR, the effect is greater. It is not uncommon for for someone with IR and keto to have their highest reading of the day be their AM FBG reading. Most experts I have heard and read seem to think having your PP readings in the normal range is more important.

On a side note @blambo61 I brought my lunch today which is 8 eggs and about 6 oz of cheese and a jalapeño. I have a little plastic thing that lets me make a 4 egg omelette in the microwave. Of course I will make 2. After all, eggs are not just for breakfast anymore. I am limiting the cheese at lunch because I had about double that last night with dinner. Cheese is one thing that makes nearly every food better - along with bacon and jalapeños.
  • blambo61
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @blambo61 - There are a few threads already about getting fasting glucose levels to lower, but with Dawn Phenomenon, the fasting levels are of far less concern to most than postprandial testing and A1C values.

Thanks, I've been reading some. Going low carb this last 5 days (first ever experiment with this) has resulted in good morning and PP numbers even with getting 80g or some of protein in one sitting. Last night was 98 before bed (about 3-hrs after eating) and this morning was 85 I believe. After my 23 hour fast before dinner tonight it was 73. I start feeling it at about 75 I think.
  • blambo61
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Dr Nally says his AM FBG is consistently around 105 but his A1c is consistently at 5.2. Dawn phenomenon happens for most as cortisol is released to get you moving when you first wake up and that elevates BG. If you are IR, the effect is greater. It is not uncommon for for someone with IR and keto to have their highest reading of the day be their AM FBG reading. Most experts I have heard and read seem to think having your PP readings in the normal range is more important.

On a side note @blambo61 I brought my lunch today which is 8 eggs and about 6 oz of cheese and a jalapeño. I have a little plastic thing that lets me make a 4 egg omelette in the microwave. Of course I will make 2. After all, eggs are not just for breakfast anymore. I am limiting the cheese at lunch because I had about double that last night with dinner. Cheese is one thing that makes nearly every food better - along with bacon and jalapeños.

I concur with the bacon and jalapenos! Yum, Yum

Last night I had an omelet 7 eggs with .75 cups of grated cheese and mushrooms, onions, celery, spinach, olives topped with home made salsa (no sugar added). Finished with a cup of blackberries and probably about 5 tbsp of heavy whipping cream!

I noticed I can tolerate a lot of uncooked cheese than I can cooked (like in the omelet). Slower released fat if uncooked.

Here is a treat you would appreciate and might be very familiar with.
    Half a bunch of jalapenos and de-vain and de-seed
    Put in oven and cook tell getting a little soft
    Fill the halves with a mixture of cream cheese and bacon bits
    Top with a piece of shrimp
    Put in oven on broil tell the cheese start to get some brown spots
    Enjoy! I make these every Christmas and Thanksgiving usually for the last several years (jalapeno poppers)
  • RalfLott
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks, I've been reading some. Going low carb this last 5 days (first ever experiment with this) has resulted in good morning and PP numbers even with getting 80g or some of protein in one sitting. Last night was 98 before bed (about 3-hrs after eating) and this morning was 85 I believe. After my 23 hour fast before dinner tonight it was 73. I start feeling it at about 75 I think.

You seem to be doing well. I'm guessing BG issues are not going to plague you. B)
  • RalfLott
    Options

You should be able to eat cheese. It has a lot of fat and protein but very little carbs or sugars. Don't eat too much protein either since excess can be turned to glucose.

Cottage cheese and yogurt have more carbs (stuff I've looked at anyways). Cream has no carbs like already mentioned.

Not so! Cream, in the tiny amounts recited in the nutritional info box, has close enough to no carbs that it gets winkingly rounded down to 0.

But you may get an insulin/glucose reaction if you civilize your morning espresso with a mouth-tickling 3 oz.' worth. Mmmmmmm..... :*
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    If you are talking about heavy cream, it is about 6.4 grams of carbs per cup. If you are talking about cream cheese, that is generally 1-2 grams of carbs per 1 oz/2 TBSP serving, depending on brand.