question about diet(4 days post op)

Options
I am doing the liquid diet as I am supposed to, but I feel hungry every hour. Is this normal?? I am having chicken and beef broth, Popsicles, jello(sugar free) but I feel like I should not be this hungry. I wasn't this hungry in the hospital but the broth they gave me was thicker than the broth I have now. Today I had yogurt that I blended some fruit in, and some split pea soup that I blended until creamy. That made me feel full longer. I was just wondering if this happened to anyone else?? My stomach has actually been growling which feels really weird now. I'm just thinking I should not be eating so often.

Replies

• teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am 3 weeks post op, on pureed diet. And my tummy rumbles alot too. Not quite sure if it is always hunger but there are times when i am truly very hungry. I thought the hunger sensatiin would go away for some time after surgery.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    It was normal for me, even though most people say they aren't hungry post-op. Tough it out...don't advance your surgeon recommended phases too quickly. You can do it and my biggest advice from you is to just suck it up and find something to do to occupy your time. Take a little walk, paint your nails, etc. It's a huge mental hurdle but you can beat it!!!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    At 9 months post op RNY I still feel "hunger" much of the time. I find that sometimes what I think is hunger is really thirst and can curb that feeling by drinking water (or flavored water.) I also try to focus on healthy fats and protein to keep that "full" feeling as long as I can. I do agree that "toughing it out" is the best solution and spacing your meals, and adding a small snack in between if needed, is helpful. Once you are on solid food the hunger does subside a bit. And yes, find anything you can do to distract yourself so that you aren't focusing on that hungry feeling. It's all a process. You will do great!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Hunger is natural. More people than not still have hunger pains. You are on liquids or things that are almost liquid so they have a tendancy to go through very quickly. Keep drinking water especially when you are experiencing hunger pains, because like the other post, it can be thirst rather than hunger. Water is very important to keep you hydrated and it will also inforce your habit to drink.

Since you had the lap band it is very important you do not push your limits. If you can there is a book called "Bandwagon" by Jean McMillan. My lapband went haywire, and I don't want yours to also. It can be a wonderful tool, but it can go wrong so fast.
  • kvandeman
    kvandeman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I have not been hungry since my surgery last Tuesday. I even cooked spaghetti for the hubby last night and it did nothing for me. My hardest thing has been drinking the protein shakes because none of them taste good so far and I just can't gulp them like I used to.

I wouldn't try to advance you diet too much because you stomach needs the rest after surgery.
  • steffyp01
    steffyp01 Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I was just having a really bad day. I have increased my water intake and that has helped. Adding in the protein shakes helped too. I'm having three a day which has really made a big difference. I just didn't want to feel like I needed to eat several times a day every day. I know 3 meals and 2 snacks but every hour is just too much. I'm hanging in there. It's getting better. Lord knows I don't want to screw this up. Plus my dr told me she repaired a hiatal hernia that I didn't know I had so I know I have to really stick to my diet. I will be looking for that book also.

As for the flavor of the protein shakes, i went to the vitamin shop which is a store similar to GNC and they have SO many flavors. They even had red velvet cake!! I got chocolate mocha which tastes like cappuccino but they had tons to choose from so if you don't like yours try something else.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    After 2 1/2 years I still struggle to know the difference between needing nutrition (hunger) and HEAD HUNGER ( gee wouldn't that taste good). Knowing the difference between needing nutrition hunger and Head Hunger is my key to success. Often times I know the head hunger is bordome, stress, tired, thirsty, habbit, having a poor balance of foods (too many carbs and not enough protein).

As far as protein shakes go, most nutrition stores will give you a couple of samples so you do not purchase a big tub of stuff you do not like. I always make my shakes much thinner than the directions say, so I get more fluid, keep sipping..... and they taste and go down so much easier. Gulping anything is a bad habit that puts air into your already reduced stomach.

Hang in their, go for a walk, go for another walk, get out and get moving and the head hunger sensation will go away!
  • steffyp01
    steffyp01 Posts: 34
    Options
    After 2 1/2 years I still struggle to know the difference between needing nutrition (hunger) and HEAD HUNGER ( gee wouldn't that taste good). Knowing the difference between needing nutrition hunger and Head Hunger is my key to success. Often times I know the head hunger is bordome, stress, tired, thirsty, habbit, having a poor balance of foods (too many carbs and not enough protein).

As far as protein shakes go, most nutrition stores will give you a couple of samples so you do not purchase a big tub of stuff you do not like. I always make my shakes much thinner than the directions say, so I get more fluid, keep sipping..... and they taste and go down so much easier. Gulping anything is a bad habit that puts air into your already reduced stomach.

Hang in their, go for a walk, go for another walk, get out and get moving and the head hunger sensation will go away!

That's good advice. I think I am finally starting to wrap my head around this. I have basically put myself on an eating schedule pretty much like you would do a newborn. I am dealing with the in between meal hunger with water. Also I am crocheting a blanket for my daughter so I picked that up today, and have started doing a few chores around the house since my pain is pretty much gone. Occupying my mind has made loads of difference. Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions. I have needed it all and feel like I have just realized "I am in control" which has brought me out of "freak out" mode!