Spices Have Carbs?? You've got to be kidding me..

Options
AngiesCookie
AngiesCookie Posts: 74 Member
edited January 2017 in Social Groups
OMG, my world has just shattered. 5 net carbs for 1Tbs of Garlic powder?? WTF.

I must be more in the 40 carbs per day range then, but I know I'm in ketosis by the taste in my mouth (yuck) and I am 10 lbs down in a week.
But I am not a "bland" food person and almost everything I bake or cook gets onion powder & garlic power pretty much. I was creating the 5-ingredient Queso food to add to my menu and saw the carbs in the spices. I guess I never considered them before since it was a shake or two in everything.
hmm.. maybe that explains the taste in my mouth.. ;)
I also googled to make sure the MFP info was correct. I'm all in disarray now.

blc5s6dzcy9j.jpg

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting 7 grams of carbs? Your image shows 6 and a gram of fiber, so 5 if you're counting net carbs.

How many servings will that recipe be?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    garlic and onion are roots...chili is a fruit...I never thought about it much before, but I guess it makes sense they would be carby, particularly one you grind them and dry them.
  • AngiesCookie
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    Where are you getting 7 grams of carbs? Your image shows 6 and a gram of fiber, so 5 if you're counting net carbs.

How many servings will that recipe be?
    thanks, I changed my message to be net carbs. Google said 7 and I wasn't paying attention.
    This made a huge batch of Queso, I think roughly 5 cups. So I ended up putting it in 1/2 cup portions for my food diary, im guessing I ate about that with pork rinds. Its not too bad then, diving it by 10. - roughly 4 carbs for my game day snack. :/
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

If you have never tried it, I would highly recommend buying some Tony Chachere's. .

Seconding the Tony Chachere's.....One of my favorite seasonings.....I use it on all types of meat.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    cstehansen wrote: »

If you have never tried it, I would highly recommend buying some Tony Chachere's. .

Seconding the Tony Chachere's.....One of my favorite seasonings.....I use it on all types of meat.

I also am a fan. Once I started the LC eating, I cut out the sirracha when I saw sugar in the ingredients and 3 g of sugar in the nutritional breakdown.
  • chelseabarnwell42
    chelseabarnwell42 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love Tony Chachere's too! it is so delicious on everything savory with a kick!
  • AngiesCookie
    Options
    thanks everyone, I will check out Woodman's for this next time I stop! And I looked at my Lg jug of granulated Garlic and it had 0 carbs.. serving sie 1/4 tsp. well.. who only puts in that much?

I should have stated though, when I use a Tbsp size, its cuz I bulk cook for a family of 5, and I want leftovers to make it worth the effort, so I cook for feeding of at least 10 people per recipe. .. :)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I'd cut the half and half and use HWC instead of cutting back on spices in that kind of recipe, besides think how even more creamy it would be.

PaleoInScotland, had not thought about cooking with essential spice oils, thanks for that tip.
  • AngiesCookie
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @retirehappy my HWC has twice the carbs than my half & half does... (Isnt half & half kinda just HWC with half water? lol)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @retirehappy my HWC has twice the carbs than my half & half does... (Isnt half & half kinda just HWC with half water? lol)

I believe half and half is half cream half milk. I think if you are looking at nutritional info in very small amounts (i.e. the serving size is in TBS), you are not getting good info due to rounding. However, if you look per cup, the HWC has about 3 vs. 10 for half and half.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

@AngiesCookie - the labels seem to be backward somehow. Half and half is half cream and half whole milk... Heavy cream is just cream. I know the carbs in heavy cream for a cup (8 oz) is 6.4 grams of carbs. I'm having problems pulling up accurate data on half and half, since the term is not clearly defined. Looks like 10.5 grams of carbs for half and half...but a higher percentage of sugars. I know I spike cravings with half and half...I don't with cream. I think it is as much about sugar carbs as it is about total carbs...

Remember that labels manipulate reported carbs by using minuscule portion sizes, and that labels don't always match up. Your half and half may show less carbs per TBSP, where as HWC shows the same or more carbs, but the serve size is 1 oz, aka 2 TBSP, etc...

EDITED TO ADD: that by ridiculously small portion sizes, anything under 1.0 grams "per serving" can be rounded down to show 0 carbs on the label. It could be 0.9 grams of carbs, which adds up almost as quickly as 1.0 grams of carbs..
  • AngiesCookie
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss

yes, I noticed this when I was trying to calculate out the carbs in my White Chicken chili. I went with the average of .4 carbs per Tbs.
  • GlitterRayne
    GlitterRayne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I fought with myself when I first found this out. I use garlic powder and onion powder often. BUT if I do use a whole TBSP it's in a whole meal. So if my meal makes 8 servings I'm looking at less than a carb in each serving so I just add one carb for seasonings. I just make sure whatever seasoning I use doesn't have sugar in it.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    switch to food grade essential oils... off the top of my head, garlic, chilli, ginger, lemongrass, basil are all available as oils and no doubt many more. One drop goes a long way, with no carbs.

Mind blown. Why have I never thought of this??? All of these as well as oregano and rosemary oils are in my house RIGHT NOW.

• ABeautifulDistraction
    ABeautifulDistraction Posts: 348 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Vitamins and supplements can have carbs, too. So if you're taking any, you may want to check them and log them in along with your food intake. It's kind of like when I found out the reason some tea was triggering me was because there was gluten paste/barley paste listed only as "natural flavors".
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Vitamins and supplements can have carbs, too. So if you're taking any, you may want to check them and log them in along with your food intake. It's kind of like when I found out the reason some tea was triggering me was because there was gluten paste/barley paste listed only as "natural flavors".

Yeah I had to give up my gummy vitamins when I went VLC lol! Swallowing my vitamins while isn't as much fun now.