Zero(ish) carb question...

Options
I'm currently using a ketogenic diet, primarily for weight loss, and am still eating as what would be considered 'induction' on the Atkins plan after nearly a month. My macros are approx. 75/25/1 for fat, protein and carbs, with the 1% of carbs coming off either one depending upon how I've eaten that day. I'm comfortable and happy with the diet as it is, I'm losing weight and have the energy to go to the gym 3x a week and do the other activities I love, but I'm seeing conflicting messages about how 'safe' it is to stay close to zero carbs for an extended period of time. Does anyone have any wisdom to offer on how long would be 'safe' to stay at this level of carb consumption and as deep in ketosis as I am currently? I'm giving serious thought to maintaining this WOE and level of ketosis until I've lost all the weight I would like to, which could be at least 6 months. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate. There are essential fats and essential amino acids (protein), but no essential carbohydrates. There is a portion of your brain that requires glucose, but your body makes more than enough to cover that. There are many in this group who have decided to be zero carb - although absolute zero is impossible given there are trace carbs in many foods.

Although I am not zero carb, I do sometimes go days where the only carbs I get are the very small amount in eggs and hard cheese.

@FIT_Goat is an example of a carnivore who is very near 0 carb as just one example in this group.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    This guy ate approximately zero carbs for 50 years (until he died in a car accident)
    https://zerocarbzen.com/the-bear/

There are several on this forum who are strictly meat and I'm sure they'll chime in!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    *I would add one exception where a person may need carbs. This doesn't apply to very many people, but will note in case it does for you or anyone reading this. Those to whom this applies almost certainly already know this, but it might be worth noting.

For those of us who are taking insulin (either type 1 / LADA diabetics, some MODY diabetics, and some type 2 diabetics), when encountering hypoglycemia, it is appropriate to use fast-acting carbs such as dextrose in an appropriate quantity to raise BG to a safe level.

If you are not taking insulin, then I can't think of any exception. You don't need carbs to function.
  • StarshipFighter23
    StarshipFighter23 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Thanks guys! As I mentioned in my initial posting I'm extremely comfortable with this WOE so it's more than encouraging to know that plenty of people are successfully doing similarly. I'm not taking insulin so that's no worry and I certainly feel at the moment like I can face the rest of my life carb free!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    *I would add one exception where a person may need carbs. This doesn't apply to very many people, but will note in case it does for you or anyone reading this. Those to whom this applies almost certainly already know this, but it might be worth noting.

For those of us who are taking insulin (either type 1 / LADA diabetics, some MODY diabetics, and some type 2 diabetics), when encountering hypoglycemia, it is appropriate to use fast-acting carbs such as dextrose in an appropriate quantity to raise BG to a safe level.

If you are not taking insulin, then I can't think of any exception. You don't need carbs to function.

This is true and honestly a good point to make because it is literally the only time a person must eat a carbohydrate. Other than this, you don't ever need any ever.

Your body does indeed still need a certain small amount of glucose per day. I don't have a source to reference but I know it's been provided and discussed on here before. From memory, I believe It's estimated that an average sugar burning person needs about 120g glucose a day for the brain but upon adapting to fat burning, and upregulating the brains fat burning abilities that reduces to around 40g a day. You will want to provide enough protein to provide that glucose through GNG. If you don't provide enough protein, your body will use its lean tissues to make it. Lean tissue isn't only muscle though. It's also excess skin and connective tissues and such.

I'm no zero carb veteran, but something I've noticed is that some zero carbers include organ meat for the great nutrition it contains. Still, lots of people don't. I don't, but I may try it out at some point. I don't know if its really necessary or best or what, but I figure it's worth considering.
    Meat truly does provide complete nutrition. It is important to know that the more you cook it the more nutrients are lost though. So it's a good idea to eat meats that are safe to eat rare as rare as you are able to.
    Check this out and compare the nutritional density of animal products to other food groups. You'll see they are quite nutritionally dense and you'll get everything you need from them assuming you don't cook everything to death.
    https://optimisingnutrition.com/2016/09/05/comparison-of-nutrients-provided-by-different-food-groups/

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    There are several cultures that were/are primarily meat-only throughout human history. I have not ever heard that this caused them any health issues.

http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/all-meat-diets/

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Looks like most people here had this covered before I finally got a chance to sit down.

Yeah, there's no upper length of time for remaining zero-carb. You're certainly not going to run into issues in six months.
  • curvytattooedprincess
    Options
    Dumb question but if you go zero carb what do you eat? Do you not eat veges?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I eat meat. Sometimes dairy. Eggs are also fine.

No veggies. No fruit. Nothing from plants (aside from spices). Also, I don't include plant oils even if they are zero-carb.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I eat meat (fish, poultry, beef, pork, game, etc), cheese, eggs and spices... no veggies at all (beyond the spices). I guess you could sum it up like this: if it has a heartbeat, I eat it (with the addition of cheese and eggs). If it doesn't, I don't eat it.

I have a Dr appointment in 2 weeks and I haven't decided yet whether or not I will tell the nurse (who is a complete DASH diet junkie/pusher) that I have given up veggies for life... she might actually stroke out on the spot if I do (he says with an evil grin and laugh!).