keto and glucose strips

Options
astartig
astartig Posts: 549 Member
I got a keto strip that also monitors glucose. I read that story at hte top here about the borderline type 2 diabetic who had the problems. I don't think I'll ever be tempted to restrict my carbs that much but it's still good to test.

Am I correct in thinking how ever dark the ketone part of the strip is, as long as the glucose remains negative I don't need to worry about ketoacidosis?

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I assume you are talking about urine strips and not a blood ketone meter? I don't really know much about the urine strips. However, the only people who need to worry about ketoacidosis are type 1 diabetics or possibly type 2 diabetics who have complete pancreas burn out and no longer make insulin (I think that is now termed type 1.5). So if you don't make any insulin, then ketoacidosis could be a concern. But if your body still makes insulin but you are insulin resistant you shouldn't have to worry about it. Diabetic ketoacidosis occurs when your blood sugar is extremely high and there's no insulin to counteract that. The level of ketones your body produces on a low carb diet is at least 10 times lower than that found in diabetic ketoacidosis.