Energy for Running - worried about lack of carbs

Options
biketheworld
biketheworld Posts: 2,242 Member
I am a runner. Last year I tried low-carb for a short time but quit because I had no energy for running! I just started low-carb again (I have my carbs set for 20% of total calories - which comes to 86 carbs/day). I currently have plantar fasciitis so can't run anyway, but I am wondering if others experience a lack of energy? If so - suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    You will need to allow time for your mitochondria to rewire and adapt to using ketones instead of carbs. That's usually 5-12 weeks. After that, you'll have dramatic increases in your performance. And during that time, while your body is confused how to use an energy source it isn't familiar with while the one it is used to is in diminished quantity, you will have a decided lack of energy, stamina, and performance. Increasing sodium to prevent electrolyte imbalances by replacing what is dumped through the process (3000-5000 mg sodium a day is considered minimum during adaption), and minimizing exercise during this time, is what is recommended. Using the highest portion of carbs immediately before your run might also help this issue.

It took me a decade to heal my PF, but it's worth it once you do...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Watch this video. Phinney explains how taking in 1000mg of sodium before exercise will help with energy as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Qk0U006YZ2w
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    It took several weeks for my energy to get back to where it was pre-keto, but it did come back!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    What the others said! I took a hilly trail run after work. I had less than 8 carbs prior! Once you adapt you'll be surprised. I hadn't ran in months due to a foot injury when I first went keto. A few months in I felt ok to try a run and was shocked to find I didn't need walking breaks every few minutes! So basically after six months of no running I ran better and longer than when I ran regularly!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I am typically not a runner, but there is a contest at my gym every year which tracks mileage so because I am quite competitive, I run to get as many miles in as I can.

Anyway now that I am fat adapted, I literally went from 0 running for about 8 months to running about 3.5 miles at a 7 1/2 to 8 minute mile pace within a couple of days. I could go longer from an endurance standpoint. I just don't have time because I do an extended cool down for BG control purposes.

This is a fasted workout after strength training before work in the early morning. According to research by Jeff Volek, one fat adapted performing up to about 75% of peak can be done almost entirely on fat/ketones with little glucose use. You can google "Faster" study for more info.

From my experience, that seems about right. Even after my workout, i don't eat for another 5 hours or so without any real hunger.

That was a long way to say unless you are really pushing hard-probably harder than is healthy- you can absolutely do endurance exercise without a bunch of carbs.

BTW, I'm 46 yo, so not a spring chicken.
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the help and info. Lots of good information and it was very encouraging. I really appreciate the help.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    I'm not a long distance runner but a do a couple of miles a few times a week and I don't have any problems. When I do notice problems is when I cheat on low carb and eat sugar; I then get all shaky. Conclusion - don't eat sugar or too many carbs it messes you up :)

For Planter Fasciitis - my trick is yoga. Stretch those calves with some downward dogs and it will help loosen everything up!

Good luck!!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I am a relatively new runner trying to build distance. Have been running on and off for a couple years irregularly. Anyway, I suggest using your current down time to become fat adapted. By the time you are ready to go out again, you won't be trying to ramp up training while simultaneously dealing with dietary changes.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I suffered with PF for over a decade, and have had it 90% gone for 5+ years now... But I wasn't a runner. The things I had to do - stretch like it was my job, lose weight, wear shoe inserts (Spenco brand Orthotic are the BEST I've ever used), and stretch some more... Good luck healing it fully.