Options
2»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @MyriiStorm -

VerioIQ -

Average/good rating of 73, strips relatively expensive.

(Recall issued in 2013 for a defect in responding to very high glucose levels.)

"Calculates glucose averages. Automatic coding. Requires less than 1µL of blood for a reading. Readings in the memory can be downloaded to a PC and/or a smart device. Stores at least 360 readings. Has a larger screen than some of the meters. Has either a backlight or LED digits for easy reading in darker lighting conditions. User may have difficulty applying the blood to the strip. Has a date and time stamp. User can flag their results as pre- or post meal for reference. Very Good for repeatability."
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Okay now I'm confused. The box says One Touch VerioIQ, but I've read every word of the instruction manual and there is no mention of the ability to download readings to a PC. *sigh*

I just want the newest, shiniest one! And I deserve it, cuz pricking fingers multiple times a day is a pain in the *kitten*!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    Okay now I'm confused. The box says One Touch VerioIQ, but I've read every word of the instruction manual and there is no mention of the ability to download readings to a PC. *sigh*

I just want the newest, shiniest one! And I deserve it, cuz pricking fingers multiple times a day is a pain in the *kitten*!

You can probably lay buy a cable that will do the trick.
  • kbhmmom
    kbhmmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Question for you experienced folks. I am pre-diabetic (a1C of 6.2). I purchased the Relion Prime glucometer to start tracking my own blood sugars at home. I completely forgot about calling to order control solution for my glucometer - - do I need to disregard the readings I have done before getting the control solution? I find it very interesting that you can’t purchase the control solution when you get the glucometer, or that it isn’t included with the glucometer.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I have never used the control solution. My numbers with the Relion Prime were about the same as the OneTouch with the "break the bank" test strips. The Relion numbers go in MySugr and seem to predict the A1C reasonably well when I go to my doctor's appt. and get the blood draw. It was within .1 or .2 last time. I am not losing sleep over control solution, but that is just me. If my meter read 120+ all the time, and my A1C came back 5.1, I would get some control solution and try to figure out why.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I don't bother with control solution either, (but I also don't worry about expired strips).

YMMV, but I wouldn't consider A1c = 6.2 to be merely pre-diabetic but rather well info Type 2 range..
    BingImages_464.png
  • kbhmmom
    kbhmmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Agreed - I probably am type 2, even though the reporting lab's reference says pre-diabetic. I also know that those ranges can vary from lab to lab. My IM put me on metformin 500 mg, twice a day, at that point. I had an additional A1c drawn in 3 months that was 6.5. However, when the second A1c was drawn, I was very anemic and my iron level was basically non-existent. After doing some research, I found that there is a possibility that the most recent A1c could be skewed by those conditions, so we shall see. I was slightly anemic at the time of the first A1c, but we didn't do an iron level at that time. I see a new IM guy this week, and will be interested in his opinion. My only regret is that I didn't just go ahead and purchase a glucometer from the get-go.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    kbhmmom wrote: »
    Agreed - I probably am type 2, even though the reporting lab's reference says pre-diabetic. I also know that those ranges can vary from lab to lab. My IM put me on metformin 500 mg, twice a day, at that point. I had an additional A1c drawn in 3 months that was 6.5. However, when the second A1c was drawn, I was very anemic and my iron level was basically non-existent. After doing some research, I found that there is a possibility that the most recent A1c could be skewed by those conditions, so we shall see. I was slightly anemic at the time of the first A1c, but we didn't do an iron level at that time. I see a new IM guy this week, and will be interested in his opinion. My only regret is that I didn't just go ahead and purchase a glucometer from the get-go.

Good sleuthing! As you discovered, A1c is subject to confounding factors that can create falsely elevated results.

Frequent, systematic BG testing is a much better indication of your circumstances than A1c, IMHO.
  • BeYourBestSelfDeb
    BeYourBestSelfDeb Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have the Dexcom or Free Style Libre testing system? I understands it ends the need for finger sticks. Simple goes on your arm and you scan it with your phone and a report is sent to your dr. My new endocrinologist is looking into it for me. I have received a call from the medical supply company and it will be delivered right to my door. I am so anxious to receive mine.
    Please share your experience, Prod and Cons.
    Have a great day☀️