Deadlifts question

Options
Hello! I'm hoping to get some advice on deadlifts. I've been doing SL 5x5 since mid-November or so and am up to 125 on my deadlifts. I had to do a deload after being sick for 3 weeks so haven't progressed super fast on these.

Today at 125 was the first time I had to use the over/under grip, as doing both overhand felt like I was at risk of dropping it. The weight is heavy but I could move it pretty smoothly from floor to lockout and back.

My question is, how do you know if you're a better candidate for a sumo or traditional deadlift? I squat with a very wide stance, feet well outside of hip width, because that's what feels best to me after a lifetime of dance training. The narrow stance of the deadlift feels a bit weird, and I'm still overweight enough that reaching around my legs while keeping a straight back is definitely challenging. I'm doing so, and am very form-conscientious, but just curious as to whether sumo is something to consider. Thoughts?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is: which ones feels better/more comfortable/more natural and which one allows you to lift more weight? Those are pretty much the only questions that matter.

If you want a detailed answer with proportions and all that, Omar has a pretty good video out there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOcraX2jCWo
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    The simple answer is: which ones feels better/more comfortable/more natural and which one allows you to lift more weight? Those are pretty much the only questions that matter.

If you want a detailed answer with proportions and all that, Omar has a pretty good video out there:
    ^this
    ...but
    Individual hip socket geometry may trump leverage geometry. It really boils down to what you are more comfortable and stronger doing, assuming you are trying to pull maxes.

• amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »

If you want a detailed answer with proportions and all that, Omar has a pretty good video out there:
    ^this
    ...but
    Individual hip socket geometry may trump leverage geometry. It really boils down to what you are more comfortable and stronger doing, assuming you are trying to pull maxes.

Can you say more about the hip socket thing? I have a very high degree of hip rotation from natural flexibility plus dance training for many years. Turned out or wide stance is more comfortable for me in most ways. Would this indicate bring a candidate for sumo, or the other way around?
  • _benjammin
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Greg Nuckols can:
    http://www.strongerbyscience.com/should-you-deadlift-conventional-or-sumo/
    Greg has great links in that article to more info by Dean Somerset too.
  • _benjammin
    Options
    I would guess you are more suited for sumo.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

^this
    ...but

Can you say more about the hip socket thing? I have a very high degree of hip rotation from natural flexibility plus dance training for many years. Turned out or wide stance is more comfortable for me in most ways. Would this indicate bring a candidate for sumo, or the other way around?

YEah see the link Ben posted. I've seen at least one case with a client where he likely had hip sockets positioned on the side vs in front. When he would try to squat at shoulder width he couldn't get half way to parallel but when we put him in a very wide stance he could bottom out. For him, sumo was an immediately superior choice.

Likely that he was getting bone on bone contact in a narrow stance due to socket placement.

Dean Somerset has a great article on this on his blog.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Thank you both for the input. Trying to squat or bend down in a narrow stance does make me feel like I'm getting in my own way, like my body just interferes with itself. I've been able to DL in conventional by keeping my hips fairly high but as the weight goes up I start to feel it in my back a little more. I'm not sure if that means my hips are too high, or if you just start to feel it more as a natural consequence of raising the weight. Narrow stance for squats is definitely a no-go, and I tend to turn my feet out a noticeable amount to feel most comfortable. I'll see if my trainer can observe and give me any feedback today as well. Thank you!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You might want to peep on Rori Alter's IG. She was a dancer before she started powerlifting and it definitely shows in both her squat and deadlift. She's super strong too, and not just some random chick with a weird stance.

ETA link: https://www.instagram.com/rorimegan/?hl=en
  • _benjammin
    Options
    I realize you asked about deadlifts but Bret Contreras has a good article about squat differences do to individual anatomy.
    https://bretcontreras.com/how-femur-length-effects-squat-mechanics/
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »
    You might want to peep on Rori Alter's IG. She was a dancer before she started powerlifting and it definitely shows in both her squat and deadlift. She's super strong too, and not just some random chick with a weird stance.

I realize you asked about deadlifts but Bret Contreras has a good article about squat differences do to individual anatomy.
    https://bretcontreras.com/how-femur-length-effects-squat-mechanics/

Thanks you both, I'm definitely interested to see how other dancers approach lifting. And I won't turn my nose up at helpful info about squats. I've only been lifting since November and had to take some time off for sickness and holiday travels so I'm still a noob.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »

This was awesome. I danced throughout my childhood/teens and have had enormous trouble with narrow stances (and also shoes). I now see that this could totally be related.

ETA: I love to tap too, think you just introduced me to my new favourite IG account
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this video.... this has answered so many questions about the deadlift!