keto life

Hi all!

I'm new to keto and trying to get everything straight. Do I have to eat the proposed amount of fat for my daily intake? It seems like an awful lot and I don't think I will be hungry enough to eat it all.

What is your favorite easy-ish dinner recipe staple?

Also anyone know how to change the goal "date" on myfitness pal? I think a year ago I recorded a date I wanted to reach my goal and I now want to change it since I started over.

Thanks all! I'm sure I'll have more questions later :)

Replies

• kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Welcome!! You don't have to eat all the fat. Your carbs are a limit, protein a goal, fat to satiety. If you aren't hungry, don't force the fat!! "If you are already high fat, you only need the low carb"
  • kimberwolf71
    edited January 2017
    Hmm.. not sure where the rest of my message went! Everybody responds differently and there are no hard and fast rules. Find your own sweet spot. I still hit ketosis at 10% carbs and feel more comfortable there.

Food prep is key for me to stay on plan. Prelogging my day also helps. Dinners are usually a meat with a veggie or salad. Sometimes both if I slather that veggies in hollandaise or cheese sauce!! Since my household isn't all keto , I don't want the others eating a high fat casserole with a side of carb lol. I save that fancy stuff for my work lunches when I feel ambitious!!
  • Buildingit3157
    Buildingit3157 Posts: 145 Member
    Thanks for your feedback! I'm a couple weeks in and am truly feeling great. I was thinking the same thing about others in the house. My son had surgery in Nov and has been sitting around as hard as it is because normally hes super sporty. He goes to the gym with me, but he's watching his weight too.....sooo that means that I prepare high fat low carb for myself but then switch it around for him...it's kind of daunting. A part of me wants to get him doing what I'm doing but, it would be difficult I just know it- he's 13. So with that being said I have to prep lower true fats and mediocre carbs for him, fruits/veggies etc. Its a mind drain is all.

The only concern I have is I have a feeling where my gall bladder is from time to time. I just don't want to overtax it with fat. So if I plan on eating a whole avocado in a day, I have half at a time, then the other half later. I do coconut oil but I wonder if I should buy some MCT oil and use some since it bypasses the gall bladder. I just don't want problems with it later...hmmm
  • kimberwolf71
    I ran into gall stone issues a few years ago when I turfed the low fat/processed food. Best article I have come across https://www.dietdoctor.com/gallstones-and-low-carb

Glad to hear you are feeling great!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    The best way to support your gallbladder is to eat healthy fats. You can't really overtax it. It's like a motor, sort of. If you don't use it, the gears are going to get gunked up, and it's not going to work right. But, if you drive it every day, it will operate fairly well, and it will send up signals when it needs to be maintained or taken in for a fill up, so to speak. The problems in the gallbladder - aside from infection or genetic malfunction - tend to come from the higher carb diet - or switching up from a lot of fats to less, etc. The gallbladder takes the bile from the liver and concentrates it and disburses it when needed. If it over concentrates in the liver or gallbladder, it can create stones. Once stones are formed is when we get distressed, because passing them (when triggered by the need of more bile for digestion) can be acutely painful.

But honestly, since you already feel your gallbladder acting up sometimes, I would have it checked out, for preventative reasons. An inflammed, infected, or necrotic gallbladder is not something that can be addressed by diet. Rule that out, and then either add in a support formula for gallbladder AND liver, or grit your teeth and add more fats to your diet to reboot and enliven your organs, again. Ruling out the health issues before attempting to address the discomfort part is crucial, because any organs in distress need to be treated differently than just low functioning organs - results can be devastating! Good luck.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    @Buildingit3157 - Your so could easily switch to some higher fat items, in conjunction with a more moderate carbohydrate intake for whole body health. If he's watching his weight, and wants to improve his athletic endurance, he might actually do better with a lower carb diet, because muscle mitochondria fueled by fats work smarter, faster, and longer without extraneous fuel once adapted. Look at ketogains on reddit and such for more information. Keeping the focus on nutrients is key for his whole body health... Who knows, if he's really sporty, he might just get sparked on sports nutrition - possible career fun down the road!