Eating out

Options
Morty90210
Morty90210 Posts: 37 Member
What do you order that is keto friendly when. eating out? I don't know whether to get a salad or steak as I feel like there might be added sugars in a salad...even without the dressing.

Replies

• kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Side or house salads rarely have a lot of goodies in them. Steak, grilled chicken, bun less burger etc with a side salad or veggies
  • tjames30
    tjames30 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a bunless chili cheeseburger to go w grilled jalapenos and onions. It was the best thing ever!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I do steak with veggies, slathered in butter/cheese... I LOVE a bunless burger, all the extra cheese, bacon, and mayo, please! Hold the fries or swap for a lower carb veggie or salad. On salads, avoid any low fat dressings - usually full of fillers/sugars. Skip croutons, candied nuts, etc. Otherwise, most veggies on a salad are low enough quantity not to be an issue. A favorite for me is a Caesar salad, no croutons, add tomatoes (yes, they've some carbs, but not enough to be massive on a restaurant salad).

@Morty90210 - give us an idea of the type of salads or things you are concerned about specifically...

At a steakhouse, I've gotten the steak and shrimp combo with mushrooms, Caesar salad, and steamed broccoli with butter and cheese - and stayed keto easily.

Fajitas (be moderate on the onions) while skipping or eating only a few bites of the beans, skipping rice/tortillas, and loading up on the sour cream, guacamole, cheese, and pico/salsa is a great choice - same with taco salads... Or get tacos and dump them out, skip the shells, and add the fatty good stuff on top!

What other types of eateries are you considering?

Sub sandwiches without the bread, bunless burgers, etc., all great options. Large breakfasts with eggs, sausage, bacon, skip the carby sides.