A small victory.....

Options
It was only a week ago today that I held my precious cat, Rocky, in my arms as he was put to sleep. As anyone who has loved and lost a pet knows, it's not easy; but it was time.

This was my first time having to make that tough decision and be present when my precious fur baby was put to sleep. I know I did the right thing and believe we will meet again some day; however, there are still times when I look around or see something that reminds me of him and I get very sad.

Amazingly, I was able to go into the bakery this morning and only purchase a cake for my friends' anniversary (which I left a their house without having a bite - nothing short of a miracle for me!) and Italian bread for tonight's dinner. I know what many may be thinking....that I shouldn't have gotten the bread either, but since I began my journey to a healthier me over two years ago, no foods have ever been taboo. I will enjoy a piece of bread with dinner.

I am still struggling with my loss and grief, but I am happy to say that I didn't buy pastry from the bakery that would've dulled my emotions temporarily. As soon as I would've consumed that sugar, all the emotions would've come flooding back and would've been joined by a new emotion: guilt over having binged on pastries.

God is good! Just for today, just for now, I was able to say no to what my emotions were telling me I needed to do.

Successes (even the smallest) are to be celebrated. :) 11111111111111111111111111111117dpi16oohsrk.jpg

Replies

• fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    you have my sympathy on the loss of your fur baby. It is very hard to let them go......

Congratulations on your success in having one piece of bread and by-passing pastries. That is a huge success in my book!!!

I have had to abstain from bread products to stop my binges. I'm praying that I will be able to have bread again. Glad we can share our journey together!!
  • MagneticGanymede
    MagneticGanymede Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. What a sweet cat. Good job at honoring your body- by nourishing it well- and your emotions- by experiencing them instead of covering them.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. Proud of your accomplishments.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    <3 and a hug.
  • krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the condolences and the encouragement too. It's not every day that I'm successful in keeping my emotional eating in check, but I am grateful to God that each day He reminds me of how much I am loved right where I'm standing, right in this moment. <3 God bless all of you in your journey to a healthier way of living and loving yourself. <3
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Oh. My. Tearing up. Right now, I have a declining tuxedo cat, age 13. Pretty sure we are on the brink of losing him, and I know something of your pain. Have not been managing well with the emotional eating, for this, and other reasons.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Thank you anne, I'm so glad you are part of my journey on this path, what you share brings me peace.
    God bless you today.
    My cat is very elderly. We picked him up on the streets in about 1998. Right now he is doing very well on fish soup that we can get by the jar, but I know he is feeling his age, he sleeps alot.
    Dootzy, all is not lost, good to hear from you. Wish I could make it all better.