Ugh Huddle House! Small rant

Options
My husband and I ate at Huddle House yesterday for breakfast. Thought it would be safe to grab a bacon omelette. Within 10 minutes of eating I experienced URQ discomfort, abdominal swelling and nausea/gross hiccups. I have had NONE of these symptoms in MONTHS and MONTHS. Then the chocolate/potato chip cravings kicked in later that afternoon. My husband and I had commented how fluffy and un-eggy the whole thing seemed. We figured out they put heaping scoops of pancake batter in the egg mixture! Gah they didn't do that before!!! The one place I was safe to get a REAL omelette.

It appeared to make my husband sick too but later in the afternoon. He is not l/c though. We ate at 9 a.m. and could eat nothing until dinner. It was pretty miserable. :(. So I do t now if there was something off about the food altogether or if the batter affected me and my husband was just sick.

Blah. Back to Hardee's and Jimmy Johns.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    could it be cross contamination from cooking on the same grill as the pancakes???

If you are sure that it was something added to the eggs, then you could always go with a breakfast platter and plain fried eggs - no way to hide filler in those...we don't have a Huddle House, but I have to say their menu looks delicious
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I used to love Sunday Brunch. Unfortunately, it's a roll of the dice with omelettes and even scrambled eggs eating b-fast out. I now order Fried-over light, or eggs bene and give the muffin to my friend. I miss the home fries the most.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Unseen fillers are why I order my eggs fried or poached when going to restaurants now.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, Huddle House is still a thing? My girl worked in the one here back in like 2003. Its hulking corpse is still taking up a decent location on Main Street.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Locally I will only order fresh cracked eggs and like bacon or sausage to eat. The omelettes do not look good to me for the reasons stated.

• Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My family was in the restaurant business. I was taught to order over-easy in order to insure that I received real eggs in a restaurant. Shame on Huddle House for adulterating their eggs. By doing that, all it does is cut their food costs, expose people to allergens and wreck our diets.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Huddle House isn't the only one - both Denny's and I-Hop are running commercials loudly proclaiming their fluffier omelets with the addition of pancake batter...
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Ate at Huddle House at a vacation once. The pictures on their menu look nothing like what you get. Straight up package food from Sysco.....Blccck.!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Huddle House isn't the only one - both Denny's and I-Hop are running commercials loudly proclaiming their fluffier omelets with the addition of pancake batter...

Boo. :( I like Denny's and IHOP! Why they gotta do that?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »

Carbs are a cheaper filler than fats and protein.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »

Denny's in Canada states on their website that the omelette meals are gluten free if you choose the GF English Muffin instead of the toast. So that means... no batter in Canadian Denny's omelettes. Thank goodness! Denny's is a staple for GF meal options when out with hubby. GF side choices are also listed. Their hash browns are GF. https://dennys.ca/food/breakfast/
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Nearly everywhere does that now, with omelettes. You have to request a "cracked egg omelette" to my understanding. Tell them you are allergic to wheat or whatever.

It has been mentioned here before, but it's been a while since someone brought it up... @baconslave - can we make sure this reminder is either documented or mentioned somewhere! I'm sure it's a battle we all face off and on.

This is good to know.