The Great Courgette Crisis!

Options
I need inspiration for my veggies! I usually have my evening meal with courgette spaghetti (zoodles) at least 3-4 times a week as it amkes an easy alternativefor 1 when I am cooking rice or pasta for everyone else. As I'm sure most of us in Europe as aware there has been some pretty bad weather which has led to the failure of a lot of the veg crop - and now horror of horror some veg just don't seem (courgette) to be available and some others are now getting harder to obtain or even rationed (broccoli, lettuce, peppers, celery to name a few). Apparently this will go on until April. I sometimes have french beans or carrots but does anyone have any other alternative veg that they could suggest might make a good alternative to my zoodles? I'm not trying to eat keto, just cutting down my carbs. I've tried cauliflower rice and didn't really like it although I like regular cauli - not sure why that is :)

Replies

• smcinto
    smcinto Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Kale is the way forward
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    smcinto wrote: »
    Kale is the way forward

Lightly roasted in the oven with a sprinking of salt? That I can do, but I can't make myself love it any other way... My pet rats love it though :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I like shiritaki noodles (rinse well before use) or even just cubed and fried tofu - neither one has a lot of flavor on their own, so they will taste like whatever you cook them in.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Asparagus can make decent noodles (use a veggie peeler to make long strips). Someone else mentioned sweet potatoes made like zoodles. And if courgette isn't available, are other squashes also limited - like spaghetti squash and other types? Maybe tinned purees would be able to make noodles with coconut flour??

Parsnips? Turnips? Cucumber? Eggplant? Someone even mentioned to me sauteed cabbage in place of noodles...

THIS DOUGH RECIPE is supposed to be very versatile, and may even be okay to make noodles...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Also a fan of kale. And spinach. Spaghetti Squash. Cabbage is very versatile. Brussels sprouts. Since you're not keto: :peas, parsnips (for zoodles like carrots), sweet taters, regular potatoes, any squash maybe for variety.

I'm not a fan of "cauliflower rice" either but love cauliflower so you're not alone.
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I quite like spinach so I'll give that a go - good plan. Spaghetti squash is almost impossible to get a hold of here at all. We can get butternut squash and that is about it, I'll try and spiralize them and see what happens. Cucumber and eggplant (aubergine) are also affected by the shortage. Might have a go with the cabbage. I've been looking for recipes for cooking it in the slow cooker but many seem quite high in added sugar so I may have to adjust them a bit. I've been having a bit of a Google and I'm going to try spiralizing some celariac. So many of these alternatives seem to want to be fried - I usually nuke my zoodles in the microwave which is a lot less hands on when I'm trying to cook for the family.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Radishes also work diced/pan fried and/or roasted.
  • smacmillan86
    smacmillan86 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Not a great option for noodles but roasted radishes are super delicious. For cabbage try twice baking it with sour cream like a faux baked potato.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Google "Crack Slaw". There are many recipes on line. Most on line, have an "Asian flair" with sesame oil added (and ginger) but just the other night I made a "Crack slaw" with Italian sausage/cabbage/onions/peppers/mushrooms etc that was delicious.

I have to limit myself because I eat so low carb but it is called "CrackSlaw" because it is said to be "addictive" and I would agree. :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    you should be able to cook up shredded cabbage the same way you would have cooked your zucchini noodles
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    For cabbage try twice baking it with sour cream like a faux baked potato.

I love cabbage and this idea intrigues me. Would you please provide more information about how you prepare this?
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I'm devastated too! Tesco only just got cauliflower back online and I read today that it's on the shortage list too, again! Practically all the low carb veg took a hit and has vanished from the shelves. :disappointed: at least all of the affordable low carb veg, there's still asparagus, for now, but that's a treat in my house considering the price.

I'm struggling right along with you, I resorted to carrots the other night and seriously considered parsnips. Thank goodness I can still get mushrooms, they're my saving grace right now.

Saw you mentioned celeriac, it's a great mashed potato substitute, I also blend it up in my cauliflower soup too. I've been on a cabbage break for a while, but just ordered a couple heads. I finely chop it up / shred it and sauté it in olive oil and butter. It's also good with mince meat and cream cheese sauce. And of course you can always make nutty cabbage rolls if you don't mind a bit of work. I make it the lazy way and just simmer it all in a pot together... unwrapped.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Are the frozen versions available? I know here in the U.S. they have started carrying zoodles in the frozen section of the market.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    Are the frozen versions available? I know here in the U.S. they have started carrying zoodles in the frozen section of the market.

The hardest things to get used to when I moved back to the UK was the miniature refrigerators, tiny beds and the lack of clothing dryers and freezers. Some people have freezers, but they seem to be a bit of a luxury, most kitchens are just too small to even put one in, let alone a full size refrigerator.

Fortunately the only thing I've ever really used a freezer for was Ben & Jerry's, so it's not really the end of the world for me :wink:
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    ... and now cabbage has been added to the rationing list. Hopefully there's plenty of sauerkraut and pickle inventory. I'm going to a stock up! Those are just about the only low carb veggie side dishes we have left now.