Low carb flu or actual flu?

Options
In spite of my intentions to get back on the low carb wagon in the beginning of January, I did not stick with it. Sunday this week, I restarted and have been really consistent all week. I've stayed right around 20-30g carb/day.

I felt great Monday-Wednesday, and yesterday (Thursday) had a fantastic workout. I felt great all day yesterday, then last night was hit with nausea, mild aches, and GI issues. I still feel yucky today.

Is it possible to have delayed onset of low carb flu? Are nausea and GI distress even low carb flu symptoms? Or is it more likely that I caught some stomach bug?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've been eating keto for 10 months and occasionally get mild symptoms, mine being a little light headedness. My "fix" of 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of salt in already salty boullion, fixes me right up (~20 minutes) so mine seems keto related.

If you're not under medical care of which a low sodium diet is a part, up your sodium and you may find out if it is a common flu or keto related. 3000-5000 mg seems to be the recommended amount.

Personally, I've not gotten aches or GI issues with "keto flu".
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I wasn't aware of nausea being a low carb flu symptom, but thought I'd ask. I did have muscle soreness (not exercise-related) a few days ago and some magnesium at night helped clear that right up.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10358179/keto-flu-dizzy-weak-tired-headaches-cramping-muscles-electrolyte-imbalance-may-be-your-problem#latest

Nausea is listed under magnesium loss. Magnesium loss will occur if/when sodium gets low.

With me, I can see where my "light headedness" might lead to dizziness which might lead to nausea but I've never let it get that far. As someone who previously had high blood pressure, lost weight, went off BP Meds due to them no longer needed cuz weight loss but still followed a low sodium diet, I was extremely reluctant to increase sodium though I quickly did (needed to) when I started keto, with no negative effects.

The times I now feel an additional boost is occasionally when I exercise which is usually only a brisk walk. It makes a difference in sodium need. I carry boullion cubes with me.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience this week. Felt awesome, my workouts were on fire!, then crash; headache, fatigue, nausea. Followed the suggestions on here to increase sodium and it cleared right up!

That's all it takes to prevent or correct "Keto flu". I truly do not care for that term. It is literally nothing more than low sodium and that term keeps people from understanding the cause and quick fix.
  • KrishnaKrolczyk
    KrishnaKrolczyk Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    So, sodium will fix keto related diarrhea too.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Keto related diarrhea is probably either due to too high fat intake too fast or just changes in gut microbiota that will level out pretty soon.
  • mountainrun73
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I don't think I did a good job replacing sodium, especially after Thursday's awesome workout, which is probably what caused me to have those symptoms. Yesterday was pretty rough. I actually felt cold and slept so much I had barely any energy. When I did drink some bouillon, it settled my stomach.

Lesson learned. Drink that bouillon! Or salt in water. And I will take magnesium every night, not just when I have sore muscles.

• mountainrun73
    Options

Keto related diarrhea is probably either due to too high fat intake too fast or just changes in gut microbiota that will level out pretty soon.

I read in a leto FB group that taking digestive enzymes can help during the adjustment to higher fat.
  • asrai50
    asrai50 Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack your thread...but...I am glad I found this. I have been eating LCHF for nearly a week and yesterday and today have been slightly nauseated and headache both days. I was assuming it was because of the diet change. I hope this means I am doing something right then? Will drink some bullion today and see if that helps!
  • mountainrun73
    Options
    asrai50 wrote: »
    Not to hijack your thread...but...I am glad I found this. I have been eating LCHF for nearly a week and yesterday and today have been slightly nauseated and headache both days. I was assuming it was because of the diet change. I hope this means I am doing something right then? Will drink some bullion today and see if that helps!

I thought I would be fine if I went through several days symptom-free! So I'm glad to learn, after reading here and lots of articles online, that it's normal for symptoms to appear anytime in the first week or two and even after, especially if we aren't careful about getting electrolytes (especially sodium)! I had some tummy upset earlier today, but that was helped by bouillon. I hope hat helps you too!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I've made myself a sole with pink salt. Basically a fully saturated water. I take a shot a couple of times a day. I went through this awhile back, when I realized just how much sodium I actually needed. I don't think I fully understood or realized how active I am.

Hope you feel better soon!