Antidepressants and low carb

Options
Does anyone have any experience with doing low carb when on antidepressants - I have had to go back onto them and the ones I have been prescribed have weight gain as a side effect, I am only just getting back into LC and am worried this will impact on my ability to get back on track.

I was able to come off them last year after following the LC diet but life has just got way too stressful and it has been decided I need them again.

Any advice would be greatful

Replies

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Can you talk to your health care provider about switching medications? Not all antidepressants cause weight gain, and maybe you can find a different one that works for you. I take Wellbutrin, and it has an appetite suppressant effect for me.
  • tattoomary
    tattoomary Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im on antidepressants too, and probably will be for life !! It definately affects weight loss BUT its not impossible, just slow ;)
    Im down 8lbs since Jan on low carb.
    The main advice I have is dont compare youre weight loss to others...some of us are turtles...but happy ones :)
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My Effexor XR has decreased my appetite. I'm assuming that it is not a side affect of the medication but one of the perks of having less anxiety now.
  • swing72
    swing72 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am on two kinds of antidepressants and both have weight gain as a side effect (on them for 3 years and gained 30 kilo!!!) Since going low carb I find i have much more control over the cravings (they seem to make me crave carbs - by reducing my carbs i craved less) Since going keto i have been able to reduce my meds by half ( my mood is MUCH better on keto)and even though im on the same meds have lost 33 kilos in total (low carb then keto) so dont let the fact weight gain is a side effect deter you - you will only gain if you give into your cravings - the pills themselves dont come with thousands of calories - its the cravings and mindless snacking you have to watch. Good luck!
  • BishopLord
    BishopLord Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm on Venlafaxine (Effexor) too. Love this stuff, except for the recent side effects (itchy skin, had an issue with breathing, but that happened when i took 4 pills on an empty stomach. I was taking just 3. Now I take it after I eat). I started back LC on Tuesday and went into ketosis on Thursday. So far this medicine has given me a positive outlook on this WOE this time around, among other things. Feels great not having such a negative attitude anymore. I think I'll be jumping out of my skin once I hit my goal weight and be like a bright shining beacon :smile:

If you're having issues with your current med, have your psychiatrist or doctor prescribe you a new one. There's this prescription called Effexor that is like a miracle drug :wink:

306021.png
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Yeah it just depends on the medication. I've tried several and they all do different things. Gotta find your right cocktail. Sucks you have to be a guinea pig in the process to find out which one that is.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://reddit.com/r/Anxiety/comments/2f6eeu/how_i_cured_16_years_of_severe_depression_and/

Some seems to find Low Carb helpful. I know it is very helpful in my case.
  • Chillycatmum
    Chillycatmum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much everyone - I am just starting on Citalopram (Celexa) have been on it before - if Fluoxotine had been ok would have considered that as it's used for eating disorders, but it didn't really agree with me. I am going to try to be very aware of what I am eating and try to keep cravings and binging under control.

I know if it causes me too many problems will ask to change them
  • albatrosssherpa
    albatrosssherpa Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I take 2 different kinds of anti-depressants. They are much needed :) The only issue I have is LCHF sometimes requires supplements like magnesium and potassium. I know both of mine are low. Finding supplements that have no negative interaction with the meds is my problem. I found a potassium supplement - but jeez there are like a gajillion magnesium ones. So finding the right one that will not interact with my meds and cause me to bleed out of my eyeballs or finding the one that does not cause a colon cleanse effect is my current conundrum. Other than that - no problems with the food part.