Cheat days on keto??

Options
2»

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Ive been on Keto going on 4 weeks now with no cheats. I have a bad sweet tooth. I really want to take a day to just do whatever I want. Does anyone have cheat days and how does it affect your diet, mood, progress?

Diet: you may feel a very bad case of the "hungries" and/or the "cravings" for several days thereafter making it more difficult to get back to your regular routine or keep your calories reasonable.

Mood: you may feel down/depressed and/or irritable for several days after.

Progress: you will almost certainly gain water weight that won't leave for about 4 days to a week after a cheat day. You may experience gastrointestinal discomfort/distress, headache, or fatigue as well, including a return of keto flu symptoms. Whether or not you get right back on track after (and stay there without repeated cheats), you may see no further disruption in progress. Or find that the water weight does not leave as soon, and you're progress is setback temporarily. Not everyone responds the same.

Given these caveats to a cheat day/meal, you have the information to help you decide whether or not it's a good idea.

Thanks for the input. I just feel like I want to reward myself with something but I know I'll regret it. To me it doesn't seem worth it to have one meal or a day even that will kick me out of ketosis for a week. Too much work to be lost so quickly

Why reward yourself with a treat. You're not a dog.
    If you truly want to feed the sweet monster, make something low carb friendly. Or go with a sweet whole food like dark chocolate or even a small fruit of some kind.

This.

If you wanted it for physiological reasons (insulin spikes and glycogen for training intensity), I'd recommend a CKD. If you want it because "rewards and treats and wow, I'm talking like a six year old", it's probably best avoided, unless you have exceptional discipline. However, if you have exceptional discipline, you will never need such things to begin with.

Basically, if you're strength training, consider a CKD. If you're not, don't.

What are your thoughts on TKD?
    http://ketogains.com/2015/10/the-ketogains-tkd-targeted-ketogenic-diet-protocol/
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    After I get down to where I want to be (in terms of my body fat, weight, and waist numbers), I plan on following Jason Wittrock's Ketogenic diet plan. His website is www.ketocycle.com -he is a Bodybuilding.com spokesmodel & EAS Myoplex athlete. He created his own Ketogenic diet plan that includes a "carb day" about once a week after you are Keto adapted. He has a bunch of videos on YouTube that explain some of what he does. I shelled out the $20 to purchase his Keto Cycle Program & I dig it. It's the same diet that he follows himself. I figure that if a guy who gets paid to workout & look good follows this program, then it should work well for me too. His program is actually meant for anyone at any stage of weight loss, but since I've been having such great success with the standard Ketogenic diet right now, I'm going to stick with what I already know works good for me until I get achieve my target numbers. But it sounds like something that you might be interested in. I recommend checking out his YouTube videos to see what you think.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Ive been on Keto going on 4 weeks now with no cheats. I have a bad sweet tooth. I really want to take a day to just do whatever I want. Does anyone have cheat days and how does it affect your diet, mood, progress?

Diet: you may feel a very bad case of the "hungries" and/or the "cravings" for several days thereafter making it more difficult to get back to your regular routine or keep your calories reasonable.

Progress: you will almost certainly gain water weight that won't leave for about 4 days to a week after a cheat day. You may experience gastrointestinal discomfort/distress, headache, or fatigue as well, including a return of keto flu symptoms. Whether or not you get right back on track after (and stay there without repeated cheats), you may see no further disruption in progress. Or find that the water weight does not leave as soon, and you're progress is setback temporarily. Not everyone responds the same.

Given these caveats to a cheat day/meal, you have the information to help you decide whether or not it's a good idea.

Thanks for the input. I just feel like I want to reward myself with something but I know I'll regret it. To me it doesn't seem worth it to have one meal or a day even that will kick me out of ketosis for a week. Too much work to be lost so quickly

If you truly want to feed the sweet monster, make something low carb friendly. Or go with a sweet whole food like dark chocolate or even a small fruit of some kind.

This.

If you wanted it for physiological reasons (insulin spikes and glycogen for training intensity), I'd recommend a CKD. If you want it because "rewards and treats and wow, I'm talking like a six year old", it's probably best avoided, unless you have exceptional discipline. However, if you have exceptional discipline, you will never need such things to begin with.

This. Also even if you are training hard and want to foray into CKD tread lightly. I attempted CKD for training reasons (long distance runner) and to attempt to stop losing weight on the advice of a mentor. The problem was I completely lost the plot and gained 8lbs before I got my *kitten* together.

For me this wasn't an issue overall because I was about 5lbs into underweight country anyway and have since lost the additional 3 fairly easily because I reigned it in quickly when I realized CKD was a bad scene for me. Other people who don't have the luxury of having room to gain while figuring whether this stuff suits could suffer really significant set backs as a result. Furthermore, as a runner anyway, I found my performance on CKD very manic and my times suffered.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

This.

http://ketogains.com/2015/10/the-ketogains-tkd-targeted-ketogenic-diet-protocol/

TKD definitely appears to work just as well. The main reason CKD came to mind was because he said "days", which CKD fits the bill. TKD might actually work better for individuals who are prone to letting a refeed turn into a binge, especially if you just use dextrose inva whey shake for your carbs. It gives the intensity improvement without the carby foods that seem to send some off the edge. It would also probably work better for people with higher bodyfats, as they aren't reloading their glycogen stores all at once, which will allow them to resume ketosis faster.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    So I had ice cream with candy in it yesterday on a date. We will see how I feel this week from that. I felt fine yesterday.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

This.

TKD definitely appears to work just as well. The main reason CKD came to mind was because he said "days", which CKD fits the bill. TKD might actually work better for individuals who are prone to letting a refeed turn into a binge, especially if you just use dextrose inva whey shake for your carbs. It gives the intensity improvement without the carby foods that seem to send some off the edge. It would also probably work better for people with higher bodyfats, as they aren't reloading their glycogen stores all at once, which will allow them to resume ketosis faster.

Very good points. I'm sure both are good options for someone wanting the intensity boost. I think your ideas on which is right for each person are very good to consider.