1200 kcal + 5:2 = Good idea?

Options
makinica
makinica Posts: 39 Member
Hey guys,

I'm on 1200 kcal plan, and it's going well. I'm not hungry or anything, I eat tons of veggies and protein, all good. However, I want to speed the process and test this 5:2 thing. What are your thoughts here? How many calories are you eating on not fasting days?

I appreciate your help. :)

Replies

• flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    IMO, 1200 cals + 5:2 seems super restrictive. Heck, I can't stay at 1200 cals on ANY day. The beauty of 5:2 is that you are only restrictive on 2 days. The other days, less so. I'm a moderately active 47 year old female and my daily intake is 1600 cals. Including 2 days of fasting to that has resulted in a total loss of over 35 lbs. I've been on a diet my whole life and I can tell you restricting calories does not last long term. However, restricting calories 2 days a week does. In the goals tab of MFP, I made my rate 1 lb per week and my activity moderate. It's worked for me!

Hope this helps!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    What are your numbers?
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Only a good idea, if you are very short and light...

Keep in mind for healthy weight loss a deficit of 20-25% is recommended. If you have stats similar to flossy and myself, you are almost doubling your deficit by combining the two.

Calculate your numbers...TDEE (maintaince cals incl. exercise) for 7 days. Deduct 25% from that. How you attain the deficit over the course of a week is flexible. Some people do break a plateau by switching from a daily deficit to two fast days and 5 around tdee. Before overrestricting try mixing things up. Mix low and maintenance days, do more strength, less cardio, maybe add 16:8 (8h eating window). Just a few possibilities ;-) The body gets used to a routine. Keeping it guessing a little more might help.
  • makinica
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thanks for your answers! Sorry for not providing numbers in the fist place, still a newbie here.

I'm neither short or light :D 177cm tall, 75kg, 28y. I work out 3 times a week, full body workout.
    Did the math on TDEE: 1,980

Weekly stuff: 1,980 * 7= 13,860 - 25% (3,465) = 10,395

Ok, so if on 2 days I should eat 500kcal, that means that on other 5 I should eat 9,395/5 = 1879kcal.

Is this correct? This seems waaay more than I should eat to me.. :/

EDIT: Which tool do you guys use for TDEE? I tried two and they gave me different numbers (200kcal difference).

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Yup. That sounds good. For people on daily restriction it often seems strange to eat at maintenance. But that is the beauty of 5:2 and what makes it a sustainable tool for me.

I've been using 5:2 for almost 4y ( maintaining since mid 2014) . At the beginning my daily cals where similar to your's. If you don't lose with those numbers you can still reduce your cals on non fast days a little. It's a bit of trial and error.

Tipp for fast days - lots of veggies and lean protein make them easier for me. I avoid grain carbs because they make me hungry.
  • makinica
    Options
    Thanks flumi! You're super helpful.

Ok, I'm in ladies! :)

I'll keep my non-fast days on 1700kcal. That's the result I got using second TDEE calculator. Better to be a bit conservative, just in case I don't calculate something right.

Great tip, thanks. Tomorrow will be my fast day 1, so let's see how it goes.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Use Orlcam's calculator and play with the numbers. You can custom tailor your energy intake according to your goals.
    http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

Keep in mind that ALL calorie calculators are estimates. Even measuring RMR gives a margin of up to 500 kcal range of "calories" in healthy people. Which basically means they're only a starting point, not to be taken too literally.
    http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/78/6/1141.long. If someone has metabolic disturbances like hypothyroidism or insulin resistance, the "calorie out" equation often is very VARIABLE.

That being said, I fully agree with @flumi_f advice above. Start out not too aggressively and if no fat loss over 2-3 weeks, play with the foods on NFD☺ Good luck!

Edit: some meanings.
  • makinica
    Options
    Thank you all for your help and support. :)