Help with starting out someone else on this crazy WoE!

Options
suzc11
suzc11 Posts: 79 Member
My dear husband has watched me do this for the last few months and has decided he wants to join me - he's maybe 25lbs overweight but carries it all, and I mean all, in the belly and want to lose that. I'm all for it and think that ultimately he'd do best keto (20g carbs) for a while, then aiming for a low-carb, as in less than 100g a day for as long as he likes. It suits the type of foods he likes to eat. So starter questions, does he need to gradually come down on the carbs, like I did or can he jump right in, which is what he wants to do. If he does jump right in do I need to get his electrolytes now? I know I sound like the bossy wife here but he's happy with me managing it for him and he's ridiculously, annoyingly disciplined so he'll definitely do it without cheating. Any thoughts?

Replies

• TishaGettinFit
    TishaGettinFit Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    He most certainly can jump right in if he wants. He will enter ketosis faster this way. If you increase the sodium intake right away the pesky "Keto flu" will probably be avoided. If jumping right in don't worry about calories too much the first few days while the body adjusts it takes a bit for the carb cravings and urges to mindlessly eat to pass. But as long as he eats on plan foods his appetite will decrease and it's easy street from there.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I say jump right in. That is what I did, and it seemed to work pretty well.

My wife joined me in LCHF which simplifies meals, and she seems happy with it. There was minimal adjustment really.

Your description of your husband: "ridiculously, annoyingly disciplined" sounds like my wife talking about me.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    My hubby is LC by default since I just don't buy/cook carby foods. He doesn't mind at all :)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Jumping straight in is my recommendation. He sounds like me both in that this is the type of food that I prefer and my wife would call me me "ridiculously, annoyingly disciplined" in terms of sticking to plan. Those carby side dishes (potatoes, rice, etc.) were all just fillers because the real food (steak, fish, chicken, pork, etc.) weren't provided in a big enough serving. Dropping the carbs, it became very noticeable very quickly that the a) the same number of calories of the real food were not needed to make up for the carby sides, b) the need for a snack between meals went away fairly quickly (although the HABIT part of snacking was more difficult to squelch), and c) I was no longer starving when I woke up every morning so IF became pretty normal for me.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I think this may be a YMMV situation.

There have been articles on some people transitioning more comfortably to keto if they don't switch from long-term, high carb diets to LCHF overnight, irrespective of hydration and electrolyte supplementation.

I'll post a link if I can find one.