Little Desire for Veggies

Options
genmon00
genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
edited February 2017 in Social Groups
I was going lurking over in the place we dare not mention lol and I saw so many references to veggies. Then I thought about the last time I actually purposefully ate veggies and it's been awhile. I wonder if this is a bad thing. I don't dislike veggies just have no desire for them lol Should I try to get some more I'm? Low Carb veggies of course :)

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    "Depends," I believe is the correct answer.

It would be nice if you could get a collective response from the trillions of cells in your gut, but you probably have a sense whether your system likes or loathes vegetable fiber.

(Of course, the fact that your body doesn't outwardly appear to like something isn't proof that it's not doing more good than harm.... :o)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Personally I like them and I eat them. Most of my carbs come from vegetables. I believe they provide oodles of micronutrients and a delicious source of fiber. I really don't care that there is no such thing as essential carbohydrates. Last night's broccoli off the grill was awesome. I ate huge amounts of vegetables during weight loss.
  • TravellerRay
    TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My staple is carrots and broccoli, always steamed. To make it more interesting you could make a simple sauce. Lemon juice, crushed garlic, tiny bit of oil, mustard and a small bit of honey. My partner loves this
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Agree with TravellerRay 100%
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    If you're doing well without them and eating good quality animal products, great!

I love them, personally, and fortunately they don't bug my system.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    I was going lurking over in the place we dare not mention lol and I saw so many references to veggies. Then I thought about the last time I actually purposefully ate veggies and it's been awhile. I wonder if this is a bad thing. I don't dislike veggies just have no desire for them lol Should I try to get some more I'm? Low Carb veggies of course :)

@genmon00 - I will go back to this original question. You just had a checkup with your doctor, correct? Did labs identify any underlying deficiencies, like D3, B12, thyroid issues, liver issues, etc.? If not, then I'm a huge fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." If you crave a veggie or notice an issue, then worry about it. But I think as long as you are enjoying a wide variety of other low carb foods, I wouldn't worry about the veggies. If you aren't desiring something but aren't avoiding it intentionally, chances are you're not missing anything nutritionally currently.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! @KnitOrMiss my labs didn't show anything abnormal but i was just wondering if i was missing out on nutrients by not eating veggies. I feel great actually lol i am starting my fitness program again so I'll have to keep an eye on my electrolytes so I'll see if veggie cravings rise up :)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I find they add some variety, I have slowly added more veggies as I raised my net carbs to the 50-75 net gram levels.
    I also love them roasted in olive oil with garlic as someone else has mentioned.

I added zucchini strips to my bison meatloaf last night, layered the meat with mozzarello and cottage cheese between the zuke strips, topped with low carb pasta sauce, and lasagna never tasted better to me.
  • BishopLord
    BishopLord Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love veggies. Even tried being a vegetarian for a year 1/2, then developed health issues (like Achilles tendonitis).
    I like taking a handful of mixed greens (usually spinach, kale, arugula) sometimes carrots, put it in my Vitamix, add almond milk and my protein powder. Tasks amazingly good even with Chocolate protein. Great way to get my nutrition. :smile:
  • sbtripp
    sbtripp Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand how low carbers, get their protein and fat intake and eat veggies. I have not found any vegetable or fruit that doesn't seem to have too many carbs when I only eat 15g/day.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If you are only going to eat 15g of carb a day, then veggies are probably not going to fit.

I'm LCHF, but aim for 100g net carbs, so veggies are easy to fit. Love me some spinach salad with tuna, avocado, and bleu cheese...yum!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    sbtripp wrote: »
    I still don't understand how low carbers, get their protein and fat intake and eat veggies. I have not found any vegetable or fruit that doesn't seem to have too many carbs when I only eat 15g/day.

@sbtripp - it also depends whether you do net carbs. Most lower carb veggies have a good portion of fiber, which can make them lower in carbs. And unless you have a medical requirement to be at 15 grams of carbs, you might not need to be that low to maintain nutritional ketosis or even garner the benefits of low carb dietary intake.