Living the Lifestyle Tuesday 2/7/17

Options
Rachel0778
Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday --88olds (George)
Tuesday --Rachel0778 (Rachel)
Wednesday -- misterhub (Greg)
Thursday --Imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday -- whathapnd (Emmie)

Today's Topic:

Today is my birthday :) which brought to mind:

1) Have you changed how you celebrate your birthday since joining Weight Watchers?
2) If not, was there a time when you did alter your birthday plans due to a weight loss program/lifestyle change?
3) What is your favorite birthday tradition?

Replies

• Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    1) I currently celebrate how I used to when I was a kid. I'm a sucker for traditions so I make a funfetti cake (out of the box) and I make time to get together with family for a dinner out. I know there are way better cakes out there but only funfetti feels like a birthday cake.

2) There was a time I felt so out of control on a diet I didn't make the cake or eat any on my birthday. Not surprisingly, this lead to a major binge when I started to feel massively deprived.

3) My favorite birthday tradition is spending that time with my Mom. We always make sure to plan a day together around my birthday for some girl time.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    For the last 3 years, I've celebrated my birthday by moving my body more miles than my age! This is accomplished by doing a really long bike ride although 3 years ago I did a combo of a bike, run, bike.

Since my birthday doesn't always fall on a weekend, I will pick a weekend close by.

I realize at some point I may have to switch from miles to kilometers to yards ;-)
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    I hope you have a wonderful and happy birthday, Rachel!

I like very low key birthdays. I mostly just want it to involve my family. I am not a big cake fan, so someone normally provides me with either a pie or a cheesecake. I am not a big drinker, so alcohol has little influence on my birthdays, either. I do enjoy eating out on my birthday, but I am careful not to overindulge. The last part is probably the only thing that has changed for me with regard to birthdays and healthy living.
  • wwchrisdad
    wwchrisdad Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Used to get a cake and would end up eating almost all of it by myself. Now, I do get a decadent dessert but it is a one time event for my Birthday.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,915 Member
    Options
    On my birthday, TOL and I go to my favorite restaurant, and I always get a filet with baked potato (butter, no souer cream) and a side salad. Of course, thee is "the boule" and too many good beers. Seldom do dessert there, and opt for ice cream, at home. I log the SPs, but don't overly worry.
  • TimDumez
    TimDumez Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I don't hold back on my birthday, however I don't go off the rails either. For my celebratory meal I'll usually go out to a nice steak restaurant , get WHATEVER I like, including a couple glasses of wine, and dessert. Then I'll go home tally up the damage, record it and move on.....
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,532 Member
    Options
    I like to keep them mellow now a days and just have DW and my boys with me. I can do without cake etc. I learned that many years ago during a more zealous WW season in life. No real BDay traditions anymore except to all be together as long as that is possible.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

ETA: Happy Birthday! Mine was 3 Feb, but many many years before you were born.

1) Have you changed how you celebrate your birthday since joining Weight Watchers?
    Yes. I now usually go to breakfast with friends. I know that I can have a full meal. Count the points and not worry about cake.

Since WW I have two set of new friends Dog Park and water aerobics. Both do group BD celebrations. I can now go and enjoy the People more than the food.
    We give small gag gifts and kid each other about getting Older.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! I have one coming up soon too but, like Jim, I was born MANY years before you :) Riding a bike, walking, or running the number of miles that I will be this next birthday is OUT OF THE QUESTION! LOL

As far as celebrating, I typically go out to dinner with a friend of mine who also has a February birthday. We combine them for one dinner out. Although this year, I've already taken him out for his birthday so now he owes ME :)

My "cake" is now a cupcake -- usually Chocolate Indulgence from the Happy Cakes Cupcake place here at the beach. In past years, I would make my favorite cake -- Death by Chocolate. Dark Chocolate cake with ganache filling and frosting. MANY years ago, I ate a whole one and part of another one. There's a story behind how that happened and I wish I had saved my blogs from the WW site because the story was there.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    Riding my bike to reavch my years was ok at age 50 (maybe last time I did it because my birthday is in the rainy season and I am older) not so much at 71+ with cold rainy fall weather.

I don't normally eat much extra either. Might go out to dinner with DW or ????
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    My favorite tradition of sorts wouild be to get out and move albeit not matching numerology.
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,835 Member
    Options
    I have no birthday traditions. I didn't have any prior to WW, either. My birthday is coming up in a month. I'll probably celebrate by inviting family over for dinner. I think I'll probably crank up the smoker and do some ribs or a brisket. Not point friendly, but I only do it a couple times a year.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yes, I try to stick to the OP on that day but I do try to have something special that is within reason. Sometimes I ask DW to make me one of her Chocolate Desserts using as much WW friendly ingredients as possible.

2) If not, was there a time when you did alter your birthday plans due to a weight loss program/lifestyle change?
    When I first joined WW in an effort to stay OP I altered just about everything I ate because I was in the loss mode. I still am but I'm pushing the program to the limits as far as I can tell and have slowed down on the loss part.

My favorite tradition is to have a nice quite dinner with DW. It can be at home or we can go out it makes no difference as long as we can do it together.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY RACHEL!

Actually, for the last several years (including pre-WW), no. If I have or can make the time, I usually like to do something outside--visit a state park / wildlife management area, do some photography, etc. . A meal may be part of the mix and maybe / not it includes cake or pie, but the meal isn't the main focus.

This isn't answering the question but it is somewhat related. The old days are so old I can't remember them, but I'm pretty sure much more alcohol used to be part of my birthday celebrations. I haven't sworn it off, but I'm definitely out of the time when I'd drink for the better part of my birthday celebration. No doubt that the birthday celebration and much more frequent eating and drinking of yesteryear added to my girth and weight!

Now, based on many years of having done it, it's what I stated in #1, above.