FOOD POISONING

Options
Just like the title states, I have food poisoning. We went to a Thai restaurant and we should have left when we saw NO CUSTOMERS INSIDE *facepalm* but I ordered the chicken larb. It's basically ground chicken salad. Hubby tried a bite and didn't like it. He told me it tasted raw! Ugh.. just thinking about it makes my stomach turn. This is the second day I'm recovering and TMI, but I've been having non stop diarrhea. I'm nauseous and so so exhausted. I basically slept all day yesterday. I can't walk around the house without feeling out of breath or faint. Just thinking about food makes me nauseous. What do you guys eat during this sucky time?

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

My suggestion is broth followed by some more broth. You are likely losing a fair amount of electrolytes right now which will only make you feel worse, so broth is something that is generally easy on the stomach and will increase sodium intake.

This was my suggestion too. So sorry you got nailed! :(
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Oh, and unflavored pedialyte you can mix in to anything...
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Bone broth or any broth will help, any liquid will help you with dehydration, and dehydrated you will get with food poisoning, how bad is up to you. Sip liquid, you don't have to drink cups upon cups if you cannot face it, just keep on sipping, each sip helps combatting the dehydration. Anything with natural salts and any sort of nutrients will help you immensely.

I suffered a month with food poisoning last year, broth and pickles were my best friends, I occasionally had some organic maple syrup when my energy levels went too low (a month with minimal food intake and enough antibiotics and pills to start a small pharmacy caused me to deviate a bit from the plan)

Once I started feeling better, chicken soup, both creamed and clear (my slow cooked clear chicken soup turned out to be manna from heaven)

Celery with peanut butter.

Boiled eggs with natural salt (I would put mine into 4 bites and keep on snacking on them throughout the day)

Just listen to your body, keep your electrolytes up and see your GP if you do not feel better soon.

PS if you are taking Imodium etc, be careful so you do not go from having a loose back end to a well corked up back end. It does not take much to go from one problem resolved to another one gained.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »

PS if you are taking Imodium etc, be careful so you do not go from having a loose back end to a well corked up back end. It does not take much to go from one problem resolved to another one gained.

Truer words, seldom spoken!

Without elaborating on the delightful details of my dear departed diarrhea days, I used to pound probiotics and feast on fiber, in addition to gulping Imodiums like pop rocks, and it all... uh....worked out. (YMMV of course if fiber is more a fiend than a friend to your system.)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Here's Unicef's Oral Rehydration Salts recipe (pediatric or adult): We always pack it and activated charcoal capsules when we travel. Never had to use them yet despite street stall menus in developing areas. rehydrate.org/ You can make this into freezer pops as well.
    re: charcoal for a 24 hr fix. https://wellnessmama.com/3334/food-poisoning-remedies/
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just been there myself. Eggdrop was great once i was hungry again
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. That really sucks. My boyfriend and I went to Ruby Tuesday's a few months ago. We ate exact same salad and used exact same salad dressing, my boyfriend got sick. He couldn't get out of bed all day, he threw up about every 2 hours and had a bad bad diarrhea. He couldn't even drink water, he would throw it up right away. Nothing helped. He got better the next day.
    Food poisoning is so crazy. How come I was fine as we ate the same thing. I'm sorry. I know it sucks. Hope you feel better soon.
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Ugh so sorry for your terrible experience, I hope you are feeling better.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    What a miserable experience. Be aware that if your problem stemmed from undercooked chicken, you don't want to hesitate about seeking medical help. There's a reason why Chicken Tartar never really caught on.

And a call to your local County Health Department might be in order before other folks get sick.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    bentonite is my favorite remedy for food poisoning

also, antihistamines (I use butterbur, but benadryl or clairitin will also work) will help block the symptoms while your body recovers