UK cost of t3

Options
Fuzzipeg
Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
The latest, Trust Me I'm a doctor, BBC programme, looked briefly at hypothyroidism, the price to the NHS, of t3 supplements was given as in the region of £300 for a TWO month supply, £1800 a year! It was also said the pills as produced cost pence! No explanation was given as to why but this probably explains why so many of us are left struggling in the UK. It was also said the diagnostic hurdles we have to jump are higher than other places but internationally a consensus is lacking.

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Yeah here in the uk they are happy to class a TSH of 5 as normal. I was symptomatic well before then but they left it to get much higher before treating me
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    The latest thing is NICE is not permitting any testing of t3 levels!! they are also not permitting new t3 supplement scripts and those who have been on t3 for a long time are fearful that they will not have their standing prescriptions renewed. I realise we sometimes can help ourselves ensuring we have a good vitamin, mineral and trace elements. Its not a given that all persons can convert t4 to t3, ugh.

You'd think when mental health problems, heart/respiritory health, digestive health, reproductive health, and some cancers can have a low t3 component, NICE and other regulators would look to the bottom line and come to a different conclusion. The health service would probably not be so hard pressed and the Social Security benefits may not be needed by as many. A 1% reduction is a massive figure.

They do not accept Hashimoto's presents with normal numbers, in the early stages, that these persons are often as symptomatic as any one with disparate numbers because their thyroids are being destroyed, forget looking for the antibodies and as for the tests to discover were they available to uncover causes these tests are totally inadequate, based on my experience. T4 permitted pills contain dairy, I became worse while taking them so I gave up, I got worse adding more digestive issues and chemical reactions. Later when finances permitted I discovered I'm casein intolerant, lacking the digestive enzymes to digest the stuff. Why - because my thyroid has been down for years.

The NHS is free at the point of need- unless you have thyroid related problems when you are on your own. Private sector doctors have been denounced for providing NDT and t3 even when it helps the people they are treating.

Good luck, everyone.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    The latest, Trust Me I'm a doctor, BBC programme, looked briefly at hypothyroidism, the price to the NHS, of t3 supplements was given as in the region of £300 for a TWO month supply, £1800 a year! It was also said the pills as produced cost pence! No explanation was given as to why but this probably explains why so many of us are left struggling in the UK. It was also said the diagnostic hurdles we have to jump are higher than other places but internationally a consensus is lacking.

I'm in pharmaceutical manufacturing and know what it cost to produce most drugs and devices. I also know our profit margins. What is despicable is the massive increases incurred when this process goes through insurance and government infrastructures.

I first became aware of this when checking my medical bill for dilauded and charged $400 for one ampoule. My company manufactures and sold this as that time for $0.29.