Fruit

Options
2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    eatsyork wrote: »
    If you eat less carbs you need less vitamin C because they compete for the same metabolic pathways in the body. By eating sugary sources of vitamin C you're actually increasing your requirement for vitamin C because you are eating more sugar. Tomato juice and light cranberry juice (oceanspray anyway) each have 10g of carbs per serving. If it fits your plan then great, but I'd rather use the carbs for real foods that are more filling than juice. Keto changes a lot of things about how your body works and, therefore, your nutritional requirements. The "old school" dietary recommendations don't necessarily apply if you're following a strict ketogenic diet. You require more salt and more fat, you require less vitamin C.

@eatsyork and @Sunny_Bunny Nicely explained. When I get questioned about vit C I bring up the Inuit (aka eskimos) and sailors in the 1500-1800s. The Inuit lived almost exclusively on animal products yet never experienced vit C deficiency. That's true of the plains indians in Canada too. Sailors in the past OFTEN experienced vit C deficiency but they lived on sugar and flour. Very high carb diet.
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Check this out:

https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vitamin-C.php

You will see the top foods are technically fruits (peppers), but are not the sugary fruits like oranges (#7 on the list). There are plenty of good veggie sources of vitamin C. Eating fruits for this is just adding sugar, IMHO.

I like this chart. :)

I've cut back on telling people that keto'ers eat very little fruit. When I examined my own diet I found that most of the vegetables I like to eat are actually fruit: peppers, cucumbers, snap peas and other legumes, nuts, olives, avocado, etc. Really, my only veggies are celery, lettuce, and some broccoli.

I do tend to limit sweet fruit. I've never been a real fruit eater though so it was pretty easy for me.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I've cut back on telling people that keto'ers eat very little fruit. When I examined my own diet I found that most of the vegetables I like to eat are actually fruit: peppers, cucumbers, snap peas and other legumes, nuts, olives, avocado, etc. Really, my only veggies are celery, lettuce, and some broccoli.

Wait....peppers and snap peas are fruits? *mind blown* Everything I know is a lie!

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »

Wait....peppers and snap peas are fruits? *mind blown* Everything I know is a lie!

Yeap. And blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries aren't actually berries. However, watermelon, squash, pumpkin, etc. are.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Yeap. And blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries aren't actually berries. However, watermelon, squash, pumpkin, etc. are.

LOL I forgot to add squash and pumpkin... Such indelicate fruits.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I love me some pumpkin purée. So much volume, so few calories. Just heat it up a bit, dump a bunch of cinnamon in it, and my god it's good.

Also, stupid high amounts of potassium and beta carotene.

It's like everything great about sweet potato, but far less calorically dense.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options

Crazy!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

I love me some pumpkin purée. So much volume, so few calories. Just heat it up a bit, dump a bunch of cinnamon in it, and my god it's good.

Also, stupid high amounts of potassium and beta carotene.

It's like everything great about sweet potato, but far less calorically dense.

I love pumpkin and I found a great recipe for pumpkin low carb pancakes that were actually very good. I never really liked any of the pancakes I ever tried so I just stopped trying. This past fall I was really wanting something pumpkin and gave it one more shot.

I'll have to find the recipe if you're interested.
    I know it was pumpkin, egg, coconut or almond flour and maybe baking powder... of course cinnamon and sweetener of some kind too.
    I just topped mine with butter and whipped cream and it was lovely. Didn't sit well in my fiber hating gut though... but I seem to be a minority when it comes to that.