Freezing cold...all the time!

Options
cr8ivewonder
cr8ivewonder Posts: 44 Member
edited February 2017 in Social Groups
Hi all,

One week in, and I've noticed how incredibly cold I have been the last 3 days. I have constant goosebumps, and my hands and feet are cold to the touch. I've tried drinking warm broth, but it's a temporary solution.

Is this common? Should I add this to the "side effects" like the frequent urination (with a strong scent), the weird taste and strange breath, etc>

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Getting cold is a common issue with sudden significant weight loss. It is less common with this WOE than with standard low fat diet from what I have seen. I know you are new(ish) and becoming fat adapted can take several weeks. Until then, you may want to make sure you are getting enough calories. Getting cold is your body saying, "hey, I don't have enough fuel so I better focus just on the important stuff like the nervous system and cardiovascular system and focus less on things like keeping my extremities warm."

You don't really want this because it means your metabolism is slowing down (assuming this is the cause). This is one reason why when changing to this WOE so many experts say not to focus on calories at first.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    The freezing cold is not due to keto, it's a natural side-effect of losing weight... you are losing the insulation that you carry and your body has not yet adjusted to being able to actually 'feel' the environment that you are in. I wish that I could tell you it will go away, but for me it hasn't - I still wear 2 shirts most days to the office and take frequent breaks to warm up my hands :( .
  • cr8ivewonder
    cr8ivewonder Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    You don't really want this because it means your metabolism is slowing down (assuming this is the cause). This is one reason why when changing to this WOE so many experts say not to focus on calories at first.

I'm not eating for my calories at all, I'm eating for my macros. I've hit or gone over my fat each time. Carbs are usually in line or slightly oven. Protein is the same.

I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe it will improve within a week? Till then....sweater and toque, it is!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    It can also be caused by previously undiagnosed health issues or it can trigger existing ones to flare up, so just be on the lookout for any other symptoms, no matter how seemingly unrelated, especially swelling or discomfort in arms and legs, excessive tiredness, weird taste in the mouth (that isn't keto breath related), cravings or aversions to specific foods, indigestion/heartburn, massive solid waste changes, etc. Just keep aware and reevaluate every so often to see if it is worsening, improving, or staying the same.

Even though I've lost a good bit of weight, I'm still obese+, but I hit a threshold last year where I'd lost just enough body fat to feel cold ALL the time!!

Adding in foods with a thermogenic response can help, too. Fermented foods, coconut oil, etc. Start slowly, though, too.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    It happens to me if I eat under 1500 calories a day.
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm actually never cold at all, while everyone else around me is. It's common for me to just be in a t-shirt while others are bundled up & wanting the heater on. I take niacin everyday too though -and I've heard that raises your body temperature.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Getting cold is a common issue with sudden significant weight loss. It is less common with this WOE than with standard low fat diet from what I have seen. I know you are new(ish) and becoming fat adapted can take several weeks. Until then, you may want to make sure you are getting enough calories. Getting cold is your body saying, "hey, I don't have enough fuel so I better focus just on the important stuff like the nervous system and cardiovascular system and focus less on things like keeping my extremities warm."

This is exactly what I was going to write! If you start to notice other "weirdness" like hair loss or mood swings those are other signs of under eating.