Ketogenic experiment

Options

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    clawson91 wrote: »
    He did have bacon and sausage when he ate at Bob Evans but that's the only time! He should be adding bacon to all his food!

Everything is better with bacon.

His kid is darn cute, too.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Amen. LOL

And yeah! That kid is such a cutie.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    clawson91 wrote: »
    He did have bacon and sausage when he ate at Bob Evans but that's the only time! He should be adding bacon to all his food!

I agree!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    edited Maybe he just hasn't practiced overeating enough, like I have? ;)

:D<3:D
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've had no trouble eating 3000 calories in peanut butter a couple of times. In 1 sitting. Midnight snack after 3 meals. :/
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    LOL Should we tell him that he's overeating wrong? ;)
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You're right he is definitely not binge eating and very in tune with his hunger cues. He mentioned the heaviness of the steak and commented he would likely be avoiding going forward. Impressed with his whole food choices but I would be beyond antsy for variety. The additional 1 lb loss was a shocker! ! ..
  • baconslave
    edited February 2017
    Options
    LOL Should we tell him that he's overeating wrong? ;)

*snerk* :smirk:

Yeah me and the nuts...apocalypse.
    He clearly needs to be schooled by the pros. :lol:
  • clawson91
    clawson91 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am finding his whole experiment fascinating! Couldn't believe he was actually down a pound from his starting weight. I think my 13 year old is getting on board to watch him which may be a big plus as he wants to build more muscle for football. :)
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This last video that he posted (about his blood work results) was very encouraging for me. I just got my blood work results back last night too -so it was nice to compare my numbers to his. My Total Cholesterol number was actually just one number off from his, and my LDL was pretty similar too. I want to get that HS-CRP test done that he was talking about -I've never heard of that one before, but it sounds like it may be one of the best tests out there for an indicator of potential issues. I'm definitely going to do some research into that test.

I also just bought that Cholesterol Clarity book by Jimmy Moore, that Jason briefly touched on in the video. I'm looking forward to listening to it (I bought the Audible version).
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    re: blood work, if your insurance rate depends on cholesterol results check this hack:
    http://cholesterolcode.com/extreme-cholesterol-drop-experiment/
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I did share this thread and there is a discussion going about the digestibility of nuts. Apparently we only digest 75% or so of the available calories. If we ate 400 kcals of nuts we are only getting 300 kcals. With the massive amount of nuts he is eating, and Feltham (smash the fat) ate in his 5000 kcal challenge, people are wondering if that is the cause.

It's supposedly there in legumes and whole grains too.

Do you guys know anything about that? I'd never heard of that before today.

Too bad it isn't higher. I can so easily overeat nuts. :( 50% would have been nicer. ;)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I did share this thread and there is a discussion going about the digestibility of nuts. Apparently we only digest 75% or so of the available calories. If we ate 400 kcals of nuts we are only getting 300 kcals. With the massive amount of nuts he is eating, and Feltham (smash the fat) ate in his 5000 kcal challenge, people are wondering if that is the cause.

It's supposedly there in legumes and whole grains too.

Do you guys know anything about that? I'd never heard of that before today.

Too bad it isn't higher. I can so easily overeat nuts. :( 50% would have been nicer. ;)

Even if that's completely true, he's still eating more than he was before. Eating way beyond what he's hungry for so it's still very puzzling that he had that loss. It kind of makes me wonder what would happen to an average person eating more plainly like a carnivore diet.
    I would love to do my own personal experiment like he is and actually wouldn't be bothered by any weight gain that might come if it but I'm probably not organized enough to do it so meticulously.
    Maybe something to consider though. I would love to see it done by an average woman that doesn't exercise. I stopped lifting because I had to cancel my gym membership, hopefully only temporarily.
    My TDEE is apparently around 1500-1550 ish and I don't have any food tracking history to know what I've been eating. Maybe I'll start logging again as I consider doing my own experiment.
  • milgord
    milgord Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A couple years ago (2012, I think), I went through a phase lasting about 3 months where I only wanted to eat almonds and almond butter. I was just so stuck on almonds. My weekly habit was 5 pounds of roasted salted almonds and 2 jars of Maranatha almond butter. Doing some quick calorie math, that's 13,040 calories in roasted almonds (@163/oz for 80oz) and 4,180 for the two jars of butter (2,090/ 120z jar).

I would eat regular LC meals per se for nutritional needs, but smaller meals than usual since I wanted to get to my almonds- probably around 800-1,200 meal calories a day in meat and veg (vs 2,000). That would add up to 24,220 (assuming average 1,000 calories a day for meals), coming down to 3,460 calories a day.

I did not gain any weight and even lost a couple pounds over the months without any effort or other lifestyle changes to lose weight.

I will say that it was glaringly obvious every morning that the almonds were not highly digested. I was also very, very regular during that time due to all the fiber. For personal stats, I'm 5'5" and at the time I was probably ~125lb and went to the gym for cardio and weight training about 2x a week.

Mmmmmmm almonds.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    milgord wrote: »
    I will say that it was glaringly obvious every morning that the almonds were not highly digested.

:D:D:D
  • baconslave
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Looks like the fat/cholesterol police got him for Day 9. I didn't get to see it. Did anyone else?
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Looks like the fat/cholesterol police got him for Day 9. I didn't get to see it. Did anyone else?

I watched the video. He basically went to the EAS offices whom he is sponsored with. He had a friend/employee/scientist there talk about the blood lipid panel results he got done which showed his overall cholesterol was high but his bad cholesterol was low and then also compared his HDL to his triglycerides and explained what that ratio means. Basically his heart is in really good shape and the scientist didn't see any potential adverse side effects from a sustained 4k calorie keto diet. He also measured his blood ketone levels and he's 0.4 higher than he was a few days ago.

He then talked about how EAS Myoplex is doing a giveaway for their keto meal replacement shakes.

Edit: Oh I see that the video was taken down. Sad because it was informative but I get where he is coming from he doesn't want people to base their own health based on numbers being a certain way and stuff like that.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Glad you mentioned that. I watched it yesterday but didn't realize it was taken down until I went to youtube to see why you might have said "fat/cholesterol police". I can understand several reasons why it might be taken down only 1 of which his sponsor's products might be perceived as "cholesterol raising" based on the...short term 9 day results. ;)
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    THEY MADE HIM DELETE THE *kitten* VIDEO. Ugh idk why this bothers me so much. Why?? There was so much good, valuable information in there. I don't understand why his sponsors felt "at risk"?