Drinking during 2ww

Options
Morning ladies! What are your thoughts on drinking alcohol while trying to conceive? I've been cutting right back during the 2ww but am wondering if I should be cutting it out completely?

Replies

• WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    I would cut it out completely if it were me.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a drinker, and since I'm trying to lose weight I really do abstain from alcohol. I eat when I drink :( That said, I did drink a few glasses of wine last night! First since new years, and my fw is next week so it might be my last for a long while if we get lucky!

As for your question, I wouldn't stop drinking during the 2ww. Baby doesn't share a blood supply until after your positive pregnancy test, so no worries there.
  • samlovesthesnow
    samlovesthesnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks - reassuring that it's unlikely to cause harm but will probably cut back anyway to help with weight loss.
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I feel like that's going to depend for me. If we try for a few months while I drink moderately and it doesn't work, I'll probably try stopping and see if it helps. I don't think you have to worry about it, though, based on what Kirstie said about and what this article says to back it up:
    https://expectingscience.com/2016/02/10/light-drinking-during-pregnancy-7-things-you-need-to-know/
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    For me, I would cut it out completely. I only drink once or twice a year so it has been the easiest thing for me to give up.

However, you the egg isn't implanted until 7 -10 days dpo so you don't actually share any blood during the 2ww, which is why it's not really an issue. However I recommend confirming that with a doctor.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I don't drink often or large amounts when I do. Having said that, hubby and I are pretty sure we conceived the night I drank an entire bottle of wine (that was a first for me). We had been trying for about 2 months by then. I will give the caveat that my cycle was totally messed up at that point and I took a pregnancy test that morning to feel safer about drinking that evening.
  • smalls9686
    smalls9686 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Don't drink during the 2 week period. Why risk it? I drank faithfully up to the day of ovulation. Then a 2 week pause until I got my period. This month I got a bfp and had it confirmed by blood hcg tests on Tuesday and Thursday last week. I'm older 36, first time mom and the risk are already higher for birth defects I didn't want to add to it. I'm obese and and waiting for my prenatal appt to determine the appropriate eat the game plan. For now eating organic, fruits/veggies, lean protein, and while grains. I suspect I won't gain much...maybe even loose 10'-15 after giving birth.
  • samlovesthesnow
    samlovesthesnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    @smalls9686 Congratulations on your bfp!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    @smalls9686 yeah! Congrats!! I almost missed that haha. Are you excited? :)
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    @smalls9686 Congratulations! =)
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    @smalls9686 Congratulations!