Digestion problems switching to keto?

Options
I tried to start Keto diet a week or so ago, and had read to start with a 3 day "fat fast". I only ate fatty things like i ate macadamia nuts, bulletproof coffee, and chicken thighs, but by that night i was very nauseated and had alot of gas- (tmi) the next day I had an upset stomach all day and stopped eating all the fat. Are you supposed to gradually switch to keto? I want to try it again, but am scared to just start it like I did before. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Any rapid total change in diet has the potential to cause this, especially if it's all foods that your body in unfamiliar with. I know a lot of people who have the same issues when they suddenly incorporated a bunch of veggies into their diets, when the most they'd had at once before, was the lettuce on a McChicken.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Any rapid total change in diet has the potential to cause this, especially if it's all foods that your body in unfamiliar with. I know a lot of people who have the same issues when they suddenly incorporated a bunch of veggies into their diets, when the most they'd had at once before was the lettuce on a McChicken.

Ha!

Or the ketchup (per the USDA's esteemed insight).
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Well, to be fair, you didn't switch to keto. You went into a fat fast. That's not the same things by really. That's a very extreme change where you take in suddenly very large amounts of fat.

Maybe just eat keto and see what happens.
    Also make sure you read the info in the FAQ about electrolyte needs. Namely sodium.
    You need to emincrease sodium substantially immediately. The nausea could actually be related to low sodium.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My BMs became quite a bit looser when I switched to keto. I was low fat for years and then moderate fat for many more years. Switching to high fat took a while to get used to. Coconut oil especially can do a number on me if I overindulge.

It did settle down. Keeping electrolytes well balanced helped too.

As @Sunny_Bunny said, just go for keto levels of fat. That is usually between 60 and 80% fat with most seeming to be around 70% or so. Whatever works for you and your stomach. There is no need to push for really high levels of fats as you move forward. If you are anything like me, you have plenty of body fat to draw from too. ;)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Burp