Binge Eating Disorder

Options
I was diagnosed with this a year ago, among other things. I did not receive treatment for it, not sure WHAT treatment I can even get for it. All I know is I have been struggling with food all of my life. I have made good changes over the past 2 years, however I still am big and am getting bigger as the years go by. I noticed I do horrible during personal crisis and what not. My bro-in-law who we have been staying with, has been in the hospital all week with pneumonia....which can be a big deal since he also has muscular dystrophy and is not very strong physically . It has been hard on my husband and I, I have been doing well since middle of December, watching my calories and eating wholesome foods. I ditched the scale and have been looking at measurements, my measurements are improving. However with this going on, I have fallen back to the old familiar pattern, junk junk junk. Not only do I feel horrible, I feel helpless. What have you all done to help?

Drea

Replies

• MagneticGanymede
    MagneticGanymede Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I haven't been diagnosed with a disorder so I don't know if the same things would help us. I've been using positive affirmations to help me stop stress eating the past month and a half. It has helped me. My goals have been to stop eating in between meals unless I'm actually hungry- usually I just snack for emotional reasons so it was a good goal for me. Also, to not overeat at meals for emotional reasons. My affirmations were for example: I have complete control over my impulses, I can easily go without snacking, I am developing a healthy relationship to food, I will find healthier ways to cope with my emotions. I repeat these throughout the day. My mind seems to be very open to suggestions these are working for me. I've felt more peaceful and enjoyed food more since I've stopped emotional eating.
    There are some very helpful suggestions in the threads at the top of this group's page as well.

I've heard of people receiving treatment for the disorder from counselors, dietitians or there's medication people take. There are also overeater anonymous groups.

I'm sorry about brother in law, I hope he recovers soon. That does sound like a hard emotional situation!
  • andreasoulcastle
    andreasoulcastle Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I haven't been diagnosed with a disorder so I don't know if the same things would help us. I've been using positive affirmations to help me stop stress eating the past month and a half. It has helped me. My goals have been to stop eating in between meals unless I'm actually hungry- usually I just snack for emotional reasons so it was a good goal for me. Also, to not overeat at meals for emotional reasons. My affirmations were for example: I have complete control over my impulses, I can easily go without snacking, I am developing a healthy relationship to food, I will find healthier ways to cope with my emotions. I repeat these throughout the day. My mind seems to be very open to suggestions these are working for me. I've felt more peaceful and enjoyed food more since I've stopped emotional eating.
    There are some very helpful suggestions in the threads at the top of this group's page as well.

I've heard of people receiving treatment for the disorder from counselors, dietitians or there's medication people take. There are also overeater anonymous groups.

I'm sorry about brother in law, I hope he recovers soon. That does sound like a hard emotional situation!

I will have to try the affirmations. I was thinking about starting a " mood journal" so I can keep track of my emotions, and write down what I usually keep inside. Thanks for the tips, I think maybe I will research this topic a little more, maybe reach out to a dietician.
  • MagneticGanymede
    MagneticGanymede Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I will have to try the affirmations. I was thinking about starting a " mood journal" so I can keep track of my emotions, and write down what I usually keep inside. Thanks for the tips, I think maybe I will research this topic a little more, maybe reach out to a dietician.

That's great! Journaling is a great way to work through emotions and even problem solve!
    Good luck with your goals.
  • bevadud
    bevadud Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have recently been diagnosed with binge eating disorder and my family doctor set me up with a dietician. She is working through a workbook with me and keeping a mood journal along with the times you eat is the first task she has given me. I have been keeping it for a couple of weeks and have started to notice a few themes around my eating habits. So I agree that keeping a journal is a good idea. And also searching out a dietitian would be a good start. It's rough going and I have yet to improve in my binging. But at least I can see into the reasons I do it a bit more. Good luck as you go forth.
  • andreasoulcastle
    Options
    bevadud wrote: »
    I have recently been diagnosed with binge eating disorder and my family doctor set me up with a dietician. She is working through a workbook with me and keeping a mood journal along with the times you eat is the first task she has given me. I have been keeping it for a couple of weeks and have started to notice a few themes around my eating habits. So I agree that keeping a journal is a good idea. And also searching out a dietitian would be a good start. It's rough going and I have yet to improve in my binging. But at least I can see into the reasons I do it a bit more. Good luck as you go forth.

Thank you for sharing!
  • krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Don't know if I have a disorder (never been diagnosed), but I binge on junk (sweets in particular) when "things" a/k/a emotionally-charged situations or life, happen. For example, my husband has not been a part of the 2-1/2 yr. journey I've undertaken of trying to eat healthier and lose weight. I've lost well over 100 lbs. on my own and trying to keep it off and not binge is an uphill struggle for me every day. He couldn't care less. His behavior and lack of any self-discipline make me feel like I'm wasting my time trying to get control over my emotional eating. Oftentimes, I don't know why I even bother. When I feel like this, I try to remind myself that I've come a long way in the last 2-1/2 yrs. and my self-defeating behaviors have been a part of who I was for almost 53 yrs, so it's not gonna' happen overnight that I'm forever changed. It's gonna' take time and I'm bound to slip here and there. Working very hard at trying to be forgiving of myself. Very tough indeed! Hang in there and try to love yourself for who you are right here and now. We all make mistakes every now and again! ; )
  • ZhuzhItUp
    ZhuzhItUp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    annem6806 wrote: »
    Don't know if I have a disorder (never been diagnosed), but I binge on junk (sweets in particular) when "things" a/k/a emotionally-charged situations or life, happen. For example, my husband has not been a part of the 2-1/2 yr. journey I've undertaken of trying to eat healthier and lose weight. I've lost well over 100 lbs. on my own and trying to keep it off and not binge is an uphill struggle for me every day. He couldn't care less. His behavior and lack of any self-discipline make me feel like I'm wasting my time trying to get control over my emotional eating. Oftentimes, I don't know why I even bother. When I feel like this, I try to remind myself that I've come a long way in the last 2-1/2 yrs. and my self-defeating behaviors have been a part of who I was for almost 53 yrs, so it's not gonna' happen overnight that I'm forever changed. It's gonna' take time and I'm bound to slip here and there. Working very hard at trying to be forgiving of myself. Very tough indeed! Hang in there and try to love yourself for who you are right here and now. We all make mistakes every now and again! ; )

Wow, congrats on the weight loss! That's inspirational.

I mainly binge when I am bored. My husband is out of town a lot and our only child is away at college, so it's just me most nights and I eat out of boredom and loneliness. I am working on doing other things when I get the urge to eat. My therapist recommended starting blog, so I am working on that. I also think journaling and affirmations are a really good idea.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    BED is rarely "cured" by journaling alone. If you truly have BED I would suggest a therapist that specializes in DBT therapy as it is an evidence based practice that has excellent results with eating disorders. Mindfulness is of course helpful and aspirations is certainly a good start however true eating disorders are pesky and usually require more than just a dietitian (although they can help you find your trigger foods) because they typically don't address the reasons behind the binging or how you are emotionally "benefited" by the binging.

Good luck, it sounds like you are motivated even in the face of adversity and stress. Don't ever stop working on your life to be binge free.... you got this
  • andreasoulcastle
    Options
    annem6806 wrote: »

amazing weight loss!! I can understand how it can be hard when your husband does not notice or realize the struggle you go through on a daily basis to stay on track. Something that I took from therapy is to realize that we cannot control others actions, others behavior, others values. We can only work on being in control of our own actions behaviors and values, and how we react to others that we might disagree or conflict with. You are doing an amazing job! Do you do positive affirmations? They help me in the morning- I start of the day with either writing or saying out loud in the mirror 5 positive things. Mine today were:
    -I am grateful for the good in my life
    -I deserve to be happy and loved
    -I am doing the best I can and that is enough
    -I program my mind to accept positive thoughts
    -I love myself and treat myself with kindness

Thank you for sharing! Add me as a friend if you would like! you are very inspiring and I hope we talk more in the future!

• andreasoulcastle
    Options
    ZhuzhItUp I can totally relate! Stick in there and thank you for sharing. I agree 100% with the journaling and affirmations. Thank you! I started it 2 weeks ago, and I do see a more positive change. Keep your head up!

• andreasoulcastle
    Options
    BED is rarely "cured" by journaling alone. If you truly have BED I would suggest a therapist that specializes in DBT therapy as it is an evidence based practice that has excellent results with eating disorders. Mindfulness is of course helpful and aspirations is certainly a good start however true eating disorders are pesky and usually require more than just a dietitian (although they can help you find your trigger foods) because they typically don't address the reasons behind the binging or how you are emotionally "benefited" by the binging.

Good luck, it sounds like you are motivated even in the face of adversity and stress. Don't ever stop working on your life to be binge free.... you got this

Agree 100% once my med benefits kick in I'm definitely looking for a therapists as a priority. I have seen therapists all throughout my childhood, adolescence, and adulthood but have never been treated for the BED as other mental health diagnosis often overshadow this. Thank you for the advice, I will do something different this time and actively look for a mental health therapists that works with BED!!