"If every day were like today....."

Options
OlySteve68
OlySteve68 Posts: 413 Member
For those that have been using this app/web site for longer than 5 weeks...how accurate is this cool little motivational message that comes across whenever you close out for the day? It's telling me that if I keep doing what I've done for the last week I'll reach my goal of 200 pounds, down from 225 in about 6 weeks. That seems a little unrealistc to me. I set a goal of 2# per week loss. I think that's a healthy number. I'm doing some good cardio every morning, 5 sets of 30-second planks, and have just started adding in light freeweights. When I joined the site and input all of my data and the goal of 2# per week it suggested a caloric intake of 1660. I've been under that every day.

Replies

• RigSel
    RigSel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's realistic but it does give me a little thrill!
  • hong4
    hong4 Posts: 52 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    5 weeks, 7 days a week, 35 days. If you end the day with a deficit of 100 calories, that's 3500 calories, a full pound! I think that's all the number is doing, taking a look at your deficit for that day and extrapolating. That 5 week number will go up and down depending on each individual day.

So if you did exactly the same thing for 35 days straight, then the prediction is accurate.
  • hong4
    hong4 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to clarify. If you're at a deficit, i.e. have remaining calories, the prediction number you get already incorporates the weight loss predicted by MFP. When I signed up, I was told I'd lose at approx. 0.7 lb/week. If I had 100 calories remaining today, the prediction would be 0.7 lb/week*5 weeks+ (35 days*100 daily deficit)/3500 = 4.5 lbs less than my current weight. This is just reasoning or speculation on my part.