IIFYM and keto/LCHF - or switched from IIFYM to keto/LCHF

Options
cathipa
cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
edited February 2017 in Social Groups
I currently follow IIFYM and have so since 2014 with great results. I just finished up a bulk and am starting my cut. I've been reading some of the keto/LCHF threads and it piques my interest. I have done Atkins and South Beach before, but was miserable and part of that probably relates to my age at the time and lack of knowledge about nutrition. Now that I know more about nutrition I am curious if anyone else out there follows keto/LCHF and IIFYM. I know they both follow macros, however IIFYM is obviously more about no restrictions where keto is about carb restriction. I've seen where people have transitioned from keto/LCHF to IIFYM, but I just wonder if anyone has gone from IIFYM to keto/LCHF and what your experience was like. TIA!

Replies

• kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of confused.. how are you determining what "your macros" are to follow in order to know whether "it fits" if you aren't following a suggested plan.
  • cathipa
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm basing my macros off the calculation for following IIFYM. 0.8g protein/BW, 0.4g fat/BW and the rest are carbs. I guess I should have clarified. IIFYM isn't keto. Keto may be a form of IIFYM. I guess I'm looking for a reason to change or just stay where I am. I guess I should ask what are the benefits of Keto/LCHF vs other forms of following macros?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Satiation on keto has been a huge benefit for me. I lost my weight via 40c/30/30 and maintained ~1.5 years on that then another 11 months on keto. I started keto as a trial for a neurological movement disorder and it has helped minimize the very obvious tugging and twisting of my neck/head/shoulder area. If you have issues with hunger or cravings, low carb may help with that.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is just food that fits your macros. I've argued that my keto diet is IIFYM in the past. I mostly eat whole foods but I still get pepperoni or pork rinds with sour cream dip as a treat. It fits my macros. :)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think of my own way of eating as "IIFYM within the keto range." I don't have certain foods that are off limits for me but I just make sure I stay within my percentages.
    Before switching to keto I'd been trying 30/40/30 and similar splits. For me the benefits from switching were:
    * weight loss really picked up (despite not switching calorie level)
    * satiety improved dramatically; I was no longer hungry all the time!
    * carb cravings were reduced
    * joint pain was reduced
    * reflux and other digestive problems dramatically improved
    * energy levels improved
    * lost more belly fat than when I was at this same weight on a previous way of eating
    * cycles became more regular

I also have PCOS and MS, and I'd seen some recommendations for LCHF for both conditions.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    I'm basing my macros off the calculation for following IIFYM. 0.8g protein/BW, 0.4g fat/BW and the rest are carbs. I guess I should have clarified. IIFYM isn't keto. Keto may be a form of IIFYM. I guess I'm looking for a reason to change or just stay where I am. I guess I should ask what are the benefits of Keto/LCHF vs other forms of following macros?

I guess you can say it's more "eating to your hormones"... eating to lower insulin. Eating to raise overall satiation. Eating to lower blood sugar. With the idea that being fueled by ketones provides numerous health benefits to every major system and to create a more consistent energy source that feels good but also puts you more in control of your appetite and eating choices which makes long term fat loss and weight maintenance a much easier task.

Simply eating to fit macros within a chosen calorie range doesn't address the fact that hunger can and often/usually is an issue in the long run. Especially if blood sugar swings up and down all day. Even more of an issue for the insulin resistant which is 1 out of 3 people.
  • cathipa
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. Thinking just jumping into keto may be extreme for me so I'll just start lowering my carbs and see how things go.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I did IIFYM and CICO before on a higher carb/protein and low fat diet. It was HORRIBLE. I was ALWAYS hungry and always felt sleepy (not enough energy from food). Food was ultra bland having to avoid butter, oil, salt, etc. I was taking a high carb pre-workout and had great energy for that but throughout the rest of the day I was miserable. I was eating things like low/no fat yogurt as snacks that absolutely did nothing for my hunger. I believed in the theory you must eat 3-5 times a day to combat hunger. It never worked. My weight loss was non-existent because I was famished so I often ate my exercise calories back or else I felt like I was dying of hunger. I kept adjusting between several amounts of caloric deficit and could not find a level that provided consistent weight loss without making me feel like I was starving. Meanwhile, I also treated myself to a bunch of cookies an other junk as long as "it fit" at the end of the day because all throughout the rest of the day I was eating such bland food I needed a treat.

Now, I eat keto. Like someone mentioned, keto/LCHF IS IIFYM but not all IIFYM is keto/LCHF. I don't particularly eat anything I want as long as it fits within my macros, there are some things that could fit but I absolutely restrict. For example, sure maybe 1/8 a cup of rice could fit my macros but it's 1/8 a cup, literally such a small serving but that's the most I could have before it uses up all of my carbs for the day so I opt not to even consume it. Not to mention the spike in BG and insulin. As another person mentioned, IIFYM is present in this WOE because some people eat diary, some do not. Some eat higher carb out of the keto range (but still LOW carb) while some eat very strict keto. Some consume artificial sweeteners, chocolate, fat bombs, etc and others do not. Some eat Atkins snacks/meals, others avoid. We don't say IIFYM, we use the term YMMV (your mileage may very) meaning "You do what works for you and fits according to plan, and I'll do what works for me. What works for me might not work for you and vice versa".

As for benefits of keto/LCHF, gosh there are too many to name and I know there is already a thread about it floating around in this group. I'll name a few:

- Weight loss. Some feel it is easier than a typical SAD or low-fat diet especially those that are IR
    - Suppressed appetite
    - Mental clarity
    - Hair growth and skin improvements
    - Combats Alzhiemers
    - Combats Type 2 diabetes
    - Combats Epilepsy
    - Combats PCOS
    - Improved mood, combats anxiety and depression
    - Better sleep quality

I could go on and on
  • cathipa
    Options
    @bowlerae Thank you for your post! I guess I am looking more for the heath benefits like you mentioned rather than just the weight loss component of any lifestyle. IIFYM (for what I've been doing) has helped me understand about nutrition and reach my weight loss goals, but I think now I am looking for not just weight maintenance but also long term health status.