Anyone following a Paleo diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Exactly. Another thing often forgotten that Jamie covers in part 3, is that Whole Foods and shipping lanes weren't a thing back then. Therefore, what would qualify as paleo for one group of people would not for another. Example: if you're white, you have no business eating sweet potatoes or bananas.

I'm actually becoming more interested in traditional diets based on descent. They are far closer to our current timeline, and actually possible to mimic (unlike paleo).

For example, with me being primarily Scottish (jacked highlanders ftw), my diet would largely consist of milk (sheep, goat, some cow), cheeses, barley, kale, oats, raw butters, fish and red meats, and some onions and turnips.

Amusingly enough, eating these things provided me better strength gains with less fat pickup, before I even realized wtf I was doing. I'm sure you all remember how horrible my keto bulk went (I ended up fat as *kitten*), and it was only on 2800/day.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    If you say you eat a "modified Paleo" then NO you do not eat Paleo. If you name 3 items on the do not eat list that you DO eat then NO you do not eat Paleo. You can say you eat "close to" Paleo. I eat "close to Paleo" but I consume diary and salt and some legumes (really only peanuts and peanut butter but I'm not sure the last time I even had those). Diary and salt is daily for me.

I think most people that eat LCHF eat "close to" Paleo by default. When you eat low carb, you are immediately eliminating cereal grains, potatos, and refined sugars.

The closest food diet category I can think of is Paleo. I can say either I eat Paleo because I follow most of its recipes. Or I can say I eat "close to Paleo". But the bottom line is who cares if it's "close to Paleo" or "Pure Paleo" . What I care about is what goes into my body and life style goes along with it.
    I eat grass fed meat, fresh vegetables and sea food. I drink whole milk because of its nutritional reasons. I consume salt because of sodium necessity.
    I've completely cut out processed meats, frozen food and fast food.
    I've posted it to exchange experience and benefits, and not argue about public perception of what I should name my diet.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    nomorepuke wrote: »
    If you say you eat a "modified Paleo" then NO you do not eat Paleo. If you name 3 items on the do not eat list that you DO eat then NO you do not eat Paleo. You can say you eat "close to" Paleo. I eat "close to Paleo" but I consume diary and salt and some legumes (really only peanuts and peanut butter but I'm not sure the last time I even had those). Diary and salt is daily for me.

I think most people that eat LCHF eat "close to" Paleo by default. When you eat low carb, you are immediately eliminating cereal grains, potatos, and refined sugars.

The closest food diet category I can think of is Paleo. I can say either I eat Paleo because I follow most of its recipes. Or I can say I eat "close to Paleo". But the bottom line is who cares if it's "close to Paleo" or "Pure Paleo" . What I care about is what goes into my body and life style goes along with it.
    I eat grass fed meat, fresh vegetables and sea food. I drink whole milk because of its nutritional reasons. I consume salt because of sodium necessity.
    I've posted it to exchange experience and benefits, and not argue about public perception of what I should name my diet.

Funny thing is, if you read the articles I posted, he pretty much agrees with you, even if he is an *kitten* about it. xD
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

And that's why I'm so not into labels, people get so wound up and defensive about them. I didn't eat dairy when I created this MFP account and I'm not worried about changing my username because this year I can't afford coconut cream in my coffee every day or because I went through a bacon and cheese binge or because I'm too busy to get lunch or breakfast some days and to avoid going hypoglycaemic I eat a quest bar that's been stashed in my bag for six months. I could change my handle to CleanEatingInScotland and then someone will get their panties in a bunch because some days I don't have time to make my own salad dressing from scratch and despite my serious aversion to it, I use bottled dressing. None of us are perfect every day and fortunately this is a group that generally fosters warm and constructive advice and support as clearly indicated by the majority of the responses above.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    @nomorepuke, I eat very similarly to you. It's just odd to ask about people eating Paleo and then posting a chart to describe what Paleo is and isn't and then posting several items you eat that fall under the "What Paleo Isn't" category. One would assume you are asking if anyone eats exactly what the chart is showing as the definition of Paleo when in fact, many people eat very close to "Paleo" but not according to that specific guideline. As @baconslave mentioned, this would've have been a more suitable title: So let's change the title: "Anybody else eat mostly whole, anti-inflammatory foods?" :wink:

But to answer your original post, again, yes many people eat this way.
  • nomorepuke
    Options
    @nomorepuke, I eat very similarly to you. It's just odd to ask about people eating Paleo and then posting a chart to describe what Paleo is and isn't and then posting several items you eat that fall under the "What Paleo Isn't" category. One would assume you are asking if anyone eats exactly what the chart is showing as the definition of Paleo when in fact, many people eat very close to "Paleo" but not according to that specific guideline. As @baconslave mentioned, this would've have been a more suitable title: So let's change the title: "Anybody else eat mostly whole, anti-inflammatory foods?" :wink:

So the title is the problem, uh? I had no idea if the the title was gonna make such a problem when I initially asked the question. I still don't see anything odd about it.
    If many people eat this way, my original post asked about its benefits and health improvements.
  • nomorepuke
    Options
    Just to wrap it up, I do not give a flying f*** what you eat. All I wanted to find out was the positive health benefits of this diet/life style. But never mind.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Hey its Valentine's Day, wheres the love? :smile: There are people who do follow some form of clean eating on this board although not everyone, myself included. However, I do agree that it would benefit everyone if we (humans in general) ate less grains, and processed stuff, especially sugar. I always look at my great grandma who lived in poverty in Mexico but yet lived independently into her 90's. She couldn't afford the luxuries of "processed foods" and grew her own veggies, raised her own chickens, harvested her owns eggs and saved sugar for special occasions. She never developed diabetes, cancer, or heart disease. She actually died after falling and hitting her head. All of her children who immigrated to USA, had the "good life", access to all the processed foods they wanted, all developed diabetes, heart disease, and other problems. Most of them died in their 70's to diabetes related issues. They were all sugar addicts, including my grandma. So in my opinion, there IS strong correlation between eating simply, cleanly and living longer.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

And that's why I'm so not into labels, people get so wound up and defensive about them. ... None of us are perfect every day and fortunately this is a group that generally fosters warm and constructive advice and support as clearly indicated by the majority of the responses above.

Precisely the bolded.
    Soooo back to the main topic:
    :wink: Who be paleo? How's it doing for you? Good?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Popping in to ask @nomorepuke if the new pic is an azalea topiary. It's pretty. The leaves look like azalea. The flowers look like a double of some sort. Will you plant it later to see if it will continue to flourish?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

So the title is the problem, uh? I had no idea if the the title was gonna make such a problem when I initially asked the question. I still don't see anything odd about it.
    If many people eat this way, my original post asked about its benefits and health improvements.

They aren't directing that at you or even being serious about suggesting the title is a problem. They are actually supporting your "roll your own" style of adapting the overall paleo way to fit your specific needs. They are basically just saying that 'some' people get too wrapped up in titles. They aren't actually saying you can't use them or that there's even a disagreement about it.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ exactly,

@nomorepuke, in regards to benefits...I experience many benefits while eating low carb high fat. However, because I don't have any existing medical conditions, there's a much broader range of benefits that others experience that I do not so I won't speak to those. For me, I feel like my improved skin, hair and nail health/growth is pretty much entirely attributed to cutting out processed foods, limiting carbs, increasing healthy fats and focusing on greater nutrient density. When I've F'ed up and had high carb days since starting this WOE, I ALWAYS see acne on my face within 48 hours. My hair retains moisture better. My nails grow faster though I bite them off just as fast! I also feel less joint pain and I believe that is do to the anti-inflammatory nature of whole foods and especially a LCHF diet. As for the other benefits that I have experienced personally (such as mental clarity, energy, etc) I feel those are more attributed to my ketone production versus eating whole foods.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I actually came to LCHF by way of The Primal Blueprint, which I've always preferred over Cordain's Paleo (Sisson, and Wolf for that matter, address a number of the issues with Cordain's original Paleo information).

I think it's worth keeping in mind that the Paleo styles of eating and low carb are not mutually exclusive. Paleo's domain is largely on what foods to eat, while low carb cares more about the fat and carb content. In fact, The Primal Blueprint is, by default, low carb.

That said, I agree with Gallowmere that it's even better to look at your personal ancestral history and mimic that. It's been my experience, too, that by doing that, I've thrived best.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    My wife was, but she has joined me on LCHF. It keeps things simple.

I started out with Paleo but I didn't notice ANY health benefits until I went keto. Paleo did make the transition into keto much easier for me though.