Options
pessxx
pessxx Posts: 1,246 Member
Hi I started keto recently and I wonder what I should take care about
I try to
- keep the net carbs under 20
- macros like 5% carbs, 70% fat and 25% protein
- not snacking because in my opinion 3 meals are better
- I started to lose my appetite but still sometimes I have cravings like for carbs , especially sweets
- My workout consists of walking , daily around 30 min
So should I take care of something else ?
Thanks for help !

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got the right idea to me. The sweet cravings can be hard. People deal with them differently. Anything from staying away from all sweets, even low carb options or by trying to satisfy them with low carb options.
    I'm somewhere in between but closer to trying to stay away from sweet flavors all together. If I decide to have something sweet, I personally find it best to make sure it's a real food item like 85% or darker chocolate or lightly sweetened tea. Or if I'm being really indulgent for a special occasion like a birthday, I'll make a dessert with cream cheese, whipped cream, some kind of natural flavoring like lemon juice and stevia to sweeten. I save making actual desserts for special occasions only. I find this way works best for me. It has taken me from being a daily candy binger to having 1 or 2 squares of real dark chocolate 2, maybe 3 times a week and not having daily sweet cravings. Honestly, I find if I put a salt crystal in my mouth I can usually manage them. Sometimes I think it's just wanting something... anything even without hunger, that having that salt crystal there is a distraction.
  • pessxx
    Options
    Thank you for your ideas, I'll try doing maybe some fat bombs as sweets, will see....
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Your list is great. Just make sure to get enough electrolytes (which you might already be doing) but other than that, it looks like you have a solid plan.
  • pessxx
    Options
    Thankj you for your input, I try to do my best but i'm sure there is much to work, i have to lose 48 kg and there will be a long battle to do this
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    @pessxx glad you found our group....I hope you like it here like the rest of us :)
  • pessxx
    Options
    Yes, I think I found a lot of information, shared documentation and I am glad to benefit and help also with what I can, thanks for the warm welcome!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the fat bombs. They are high in calories and it's difficult (at least for me) to make a batch and eat just one. The sweet cravings pass after a month or two - I can stand in the work kitchen and not even be interested in all the cake and stuff.

Also, with fat, you only need to eat "fat til satisfied" which means keep under your carb limit, eat your protein target, and the rest fat - if you do not eat all your fat you get the rest from your body fat - which is what you want. No need to feed yourself additional fat just to meet a target.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Welcome. :)

Your plan looks good. As another said, be mindful of electrolytes. With lowered carbs comes lowered insulin which will flush water and electrolytes from the body. Most need at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium per day. For perspective, there's 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of table salt.

If you start getting headaches, brain fog, nausea, BM issues, fatigue, muscle aches or spasms, your sodium is too low. If you ignore it for a while and you get to the muscle cramps, it's a sign that potassium and magnesium are getting low too.
  • pessxx
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Be careful with the fat bombs. They are high in calories and it's difficult (at least for me) to make a batch and eat just one. The sweet cravings pass after a month or two - I can stand in the work kitchen and not even be interested in all the cake and stuff.

Also, with fat, you only need to eat "fat til satisfied" which means keep under your carb limit, eat your protein target, and the rest fat - if you do not eat all your fat you get the rest from your body fat - which is what you want. No need to feed yourself additional fat just to meet a target.

Thank you, I just made some lemon fat bombs, the recipe found here , but I intend to have just one serving per day and not overeat.I like to do recipes a lot and prepare real food which I think maybe an advantage for me
    What is the protein target ? I think I saw something written but just could not remember, my macro percent is 25%, anyhow I feel full most of the times and not succeed to finish all the meal
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Your plan looks good. As another said, be mindful of electrolytes. With lowered carbs comes lowered insulin which will flush water and electrolytes from the body. Most need at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium per day. For perspective, there's 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of table salt.

If you start getting headaches, brain fog, nausea, BM issues, fatigue, muscle aches or spasms, your sodium is too low. If you ignore it for a while and you get to the muscle cramps, it's a sign that potassium and magnesium are getting low too.

Thanks, I had one or two days like this, sodium I think missing, but I wonder, I very frequently had water retention, before keto ,wouldn't too much sodium interfere with that?I had headaches only and cravings

I appreciate a lot your inputs and support
  • ms_smartypants
    Options
    My macros are 5% carbs .....20% protein and 75% fat....your 25% protein should be fine ....its not a one size fits all thing
  • pessxx
    Options
    Yes, I hope so, at the beginning ,protein were higher, I just did not know too much how to incorporate fat , but reading and being helped ,I succeed now to have sometimes even 73% or 75%
    I think it helps with the satiety
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    pessxx wrote: »

Thank you, I just made some lemon fat bombs, the recipe found here , but I intend to have just one serving per day and not overeat.I like to do recipes a lot and prepare real food which I think maybe an advantage for me
    What is the protein target ? I think I saw something written but just could not remember, my macro percent is 25%, anyhow I feel full most of the times and not succeed to finish all the meal

Thanks, I had one or two days like this, sodium I think missing, but I wonder, I very frequently had water retention, before keto ,wouldn't too much sodium interfere with that?I had headaches only and cravings

You won't be able to retain even the proper amount of water on keto without REPLACING the sodium you lose on a daily basis. This means dehydration. Symptoms like headaches, nausea, constipation, fatigue, lightheaded or dizzy especially upon standing and a bunch of other things, some of which can be serious. You are only replacing the sodium lost. It's not in addition to sodium you're already retaining. Keto is a whole different ballgame when it comes to sodium and water retention.
  • pessxx
    Options
    I understand now, thanks for the explanation.
  • surreychic
    surreychic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Interesting about the sodium, "You won't be able to retain even the proper amount of water on keto without REPLACING the sodium you lose on a daily basis. This means dehydration. Symptoms like headaches, nausea, constipation, fatigue, lightheaded or dizzy especially upon standing and a bunch of other things, some of which can be serious. " This is me already on high carb. Although maybe my breakfast isn't so high carb but mid morning I have real issues with dizziness so thank you for warning me, could get worse.

So you stick to carbs being overall 20%. I am wondering if any, I mean any dark chocolate (I like the high cocoa 85% type) can still be included .. please... I guess it's just typing it all in online. I am noticing years ago, we went on holiday and I happened to have omelettes and fish for breakfast and tea. There weren't many carbs available- hoping to recreate that feeling!

I was thinking for a lunch , omelette or salmon with leafy greens, then evening meal same again, or some white meat curry with cauliflower. breakfast is an issue, I'm using up my skinny milk.... so haven't started in ketosis and today had three hotel chocolat dark chocolates so better get my planning perfect!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I would recommend using a Keto Calculator like this one. http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/

Be careful with macros in % - better to think in grams, as in 20g carbs, 85g protein, 130g fat (for example). Main reason being % can apply to 1200 calories or 4000 calories. If you overeat you can still "hit your macros" in % but you won't achieve anything.

The only thing that should be a fluid number is your fat. You should aim to keep under your carb target, meet your protein target and eat more or less fat depending on hunger. Just remember if you eat a little less fat, you will make up the difference from your body fat - but don't cut fat to the point of being hungry. If you stick to this, your macro percentages might not always line up perfectly, but that's okay.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    pessxx wrote: »

Ditto Sunny_Bunny on that. You lose sodium on keto, so you are just replacing what you lost. That's all.

You want to find that sweet spot between headaches and water retention. For most it will be over 3000mg, often higher than 5000mg of sodium.

I think I make due around 4000 mg if I had to guess.
  • pessxx
    Options
    Thanks for input, I try first to keep my net carbs, then, without even wanting , I make my protein I guess because I like meat and other proteins so there isn't any day without these
    For the fat my favourites are :coconut oil, whipped cream, duck roasted,goat cheese, avocado
    With the sodium still struggling, I am around 2500-2800 as in the past I was avoiding this, but I ll try some salty ideas of meal,any suggestions?
    I put today in my menu some seaweed salad and usually goat cheese I eat also, I think they are well.So maybe some more bacon? That's salty too

Regarding the weightloss , still a mistery, in the first week I lost 1.2 kg , but then one day in the second week I ate some bad carbs and now I have to be back on track
    I feel sometimes like a sponge for the carbs, so pounds back
    Not only this but I think they got me out of ketosis so I have to fight back again
    Not sure how this works but this time I will avoid for sure everything is wrong
    Anyhow my first month I want to get used with the WOE and with keeping rigorously the net carbs and then we shall see what to expect from the scale
    I keep also my measurements , hope to see some good results

So have a nice day everyone, hope I did not talk too much and thanks for your support!
  • ms_smartypants
    Options
    As for sodium I eat dill pickles and I also drink a bottle of water with Mio(flavor enhancer) with Morton lite salt ( I tsp) its like gatorade ....I usually hit around 4000mg sometimes higher
  • pessxx
    Options
    Pickless are a great idea, thanks !
  • ms_smartypants
    Options
    You're welcome :)