Keep gaining!

Options
djmom1984
djmom1984 Posts: 55 Member
Working out an hour a day. Tues and Friday, I add swimming to the mix. Put on two lbs this week, 6 since I started. Clothes just keep getting tighter. Need all the encouragement I can get.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Any time I lose focus the scale goes up. I maintained EASILY for many years, but now it takes total dedication.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Anytime you change your workout routine it will take 2-3 weeks for your body to adapt and you are going to see some water weight retention until adaptation completes.

Also, many people eat more due to increased hunger when they change workout routines, so it would be a good idea to track food if you are not already doing so.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    Same here!! No matter what I do the scale won't cooperate with me! I've tried everything but starvation.. I'm too old for that.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Anytime you change your workout routine it will take 2-3 weeks for your body to adapt and you are going to see some water weight retention until adaptation completes.

Also, many people eat more due to increased hunger when they change workout routines, so it would be a good idea to track food if you are not already doing so.

I'm curious about this. So what if I work out 4 days one week and 3 the next week? Will I go through the water retention process again because a) I skipped several days and b) I didn't do the same number of days?

I tend to be a huge water retainer (and seemingly way worse right now) so I'm wondering if this is just going to be my new "norm" as I'm losing (which I'm not at this second)?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's very hard. VERY
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I will hold water for as long as six weeks when starting a new exercise program, perhaps with occasional drops to a more expected weight. It doesn't really matter if I work out 3 or 4 days a week. If I'm consistent, it just takes a long time to drop the retained water. Measurements and clothes are my sanity check. I'm currently up in weight right now, but I also bought smaller pants last week (the same jeans I always get -- but one size smaller).

For me, water retention and weight fluctuations are normal. That may be true for you as well. At some point it seems like things even out and I do lose a bunch at once, but then I go back to retaining if I continue to increase intensity.

FWIW, I am also on a med that can mess with water retention so that may be part of the problem. I used to drink dandelion tea pretty regularly, which helped, but I haven't been doing that lately because I'm starting to come to terms with the idea that my weight is pretty meaningless on any given day.
  • ecs1516
    ecs1516 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am glad I found this group. I have been on fitness pal for a number of years , but the past two years it has been near impossible to lose weight . It just seems to keep creeping up and my diet has not changed. My metabolism has definitely changed .
  • MnTuna
    MnTuna Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with the gaudy magpie. I use my clothes and sanity check. When I don't like the numbers in my clothes I tell my self that those numbers are lik e my phone number - they don't tell me who I am or what my value/worth is in this world
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    My issue is: my body *shape* is changing.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Sabine, you just started estrogen, right? It took a month or two but my body shape changed back into a more pre-meno shape after I started. I probably lost about two inches from my waist. It settled into my lower abdomen and butt, but I can handle that over the meno pot. Hopefully you will follow suit.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Sabine, you just started estrogen, right? It took a month or two but my body shape changed back into a more pre-meno shape after I started. I probably lost about two inches from my waist. It settled into my lower abdomen and butt, but I can handle that over the meno pot. Hopefully you will follow suit.

I did. I started it over christmas break. Here's hoping!
    I'm now "on the other side".
    I managed to only gain 5-8 pounds, but yeah, there's been a shift. I hope it shifts back!
    I'm taking bioidentical progesterone and estrogen.