Living the Lifestyle Tuesday 2/14/17

Options
Rachel0778
Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday --88olds (George)
Tuesday --Rachel0778 (Rachel)
Wednesday -- misterhub (Greg)
Thursday --Imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday -- whathapnd (Emmie)

Topic: Valentine's Day

Do you celebrate Valentine's Day? What are your favorite traditions? Have your traditions altered with living the lifestyle?

Did you used to show love through food (or have someone show their love to you through food)? Have you had to alter those relationship dynamics?

Replies

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    We don't celebrate Valentine's Day much more than as a perfunctory Hallmark Holiday. It's not that we're not romantic; there's a lot of romance in our relationship, even after 26 years. But, we're both a bit cynical about Valentine's Day. We're far more likely to do something special on our anniversary.

Food/candy have never been a part of any Valentine's Day for us.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    @misterhub answered for me and my hubby! We will have 26 years of marriage this August.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    I don't celebrate any more but we use to go to a nice restaurant and get the full course meal.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've always considered it Singles Awareness Day even when I wasn't single. Moreso than ever since I've now been single since 2005. If you have a good relationship, you shouldn't need a Hallmark holiday to celebrate it. IMNSHO.

Want to impress me? Give me something for no reason at all rather than just on Hallmark holidays.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,944 Member
    Options
    We've stopped celebrating. Back in the day, it was a nice excuse to drink a bottle of nice wine!
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Wow we have a lot of non-Valentine people here!

I'm a bit of a holiday die hard, I loved Valentine's Day even when I was single because I would get together with a few friends, eat some good food, and watch cheesy movies. Honestly, I use any excuse I can to celebrate, have fun, and tell the people that I care about that I love them.

My significant other and I have a tradition now where we cook at home together and spend the night watching cheesy TV shows. No Hallmark cards or overpriced flowers involved, just time together. Our local grocery store has a great valentines package that includes great steaks, dessert, and all the sides for $20, which makes it super easy! And who can say no to great steak and a random weeknight date?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Another no to Valentine's Day.

But love and food? That's really interesting. Why the dinner date? Why is the way to a man's heart through his stomach an old saying? Don't hear that much anymore, but obesity wasn't so prevalent then. Even if our little group isn't much into it, the stores are still filled with those heart shaped boxes of candy. And I'm just considering the romance part. Grandma and cookies is a whole different aspect to food/love.

When people say they love food, I think its Pavlovian.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,075 Member
    Options
    Hmmm not so much. Will make a card often myself. Never big on dinner etc per se.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    We used to go out for a nice dinner to celebrate, but never on the exact date. Then it became about the kids, school parties, homemade heart shaped cookies, cakes, sandwiches, pancakes. We never got back into it once the kids grew up. This a.m., hubby said "Happy Valentines day'. I returned the greeting. The end LOL.
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,835 Member
    Options
    I had a card sitting on DW's chair when she got up this morning, along with a small gift. I spent the day with her - we drove down t Oregon and took my 93-year old mother to lunch (at DW's suggestion). I tell my DW, every day, how much I love her. But, even after 30 years, a little special attention is still appreciated, I think.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Woke up wished DW a Happy Valentine's Day. I was off to meetings all day. Came in late like 8:30 from work wished her another Happy Valentine's Day and we decided we'd have a date on another day. End of Valentine's Day.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Also in the don't celebrate camp. I'm more with those who prefer 'spontaneous' celebration but I can also appreciate those who like to keep the tradition going...