Day 3 of keto - should I carb load every 10 days?

Options
ZodFit
ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
When do I carb load and do I eat the same calories just have extremely low fats for that day and convert the calories from those fats into carbs?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    CKD works fine, and the way you described it is pretty much how it's done.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    What is making you want to carb load? It's too early to determine if you are stalling at only 3 days in. So the only other explanation for a carb load would be perhaps for physical performance or simply because you just want to eat some carbs. Are you feeling deprived? Are your workouts suffering?

I would say get yourself keto adapted and disciplined eating keto and the responsibility/planning/discipline that this WOE requires. Go a minimum of 4 weeks before even thinking about a carb load. Longer if possible. If you want a carb load for athletic performance then it's likely too early in your keto adaption to see the benefits of ketones on performance. Stick with strict keto until you can determine that you need carbs for better performance. You might find that ketones are sufficient to fuel your workouts. If you want a carb load simply because you want some carbs, then you DEFINITELY don't need a carb load this early. You need to discipline yourself to crave keto foods by continuing to eat keto foods.
  • ZodFit
    Options
    CKD works fine, and the way you described it is pretty much how it's done.

Ah just looked up ckd. This is perfect
  • ZodFit
    edited February 2017
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    What is making you want to carb load? It's too early to determine if you are stalling at only 3 days in. So the only other explanation for a carb load would be perhaps for physical performance or simply because you just want to eat some carbs. Are you feeling deprived? Are your workouts suffering?

I would say get yourself keto adapted and disciplined eating keto and the responsibility/planning/discipline that this WOE requires. Go a minimum of 4 weeks before even thinking about a carb load. Longer if possible. If you want a carb load for athletic performance then it's likely too early in your keto adaption to see the benefits of ketones on performance. Stick with strict keto until you can determine that you need carbs for better performance. You might find that ketones are sufficient to fuel your workouts. If you want a carb load simply because you want some carbs, then you DEFINITELY don't need a carb load this early. You need to discipline yourself to crave keto foods by continuing to eat keto foods.

Eating keto is simple. I'm not craving carbs(never said I was) just simply asking when to carb load and how do I go about it it's way too early for me to be deprived only 3 days in obviously. I weight train 5 days a week with cardio and ab days along with rest. I use meals as fuel not to satiate my cravings but thank you for your input. So go until my lifts are being exhausted quickly then refuel the glycogen.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Honestly most people just doing the standard keto diet do not carb load. Most want to remain in ketosis and become fat adapted. Like stated above that's more a CKD thing. So I think perhaps you'd get more relevant info if you rephrased your questions to mention that you are planning to carb cycle for fitness reasons. Though like @bowlerae said you might not need carbs if you become fat adapted. Usually people find their lifts suffer for a couple of weeks and then once you've adapted you can start making progress again just fine.