Whose kids eat LCHF?

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
I'm thinking about trying it for the sake of one of my 8y/o twins in particular.

DH was Dx'ed with coronary artery disease at age 45. One of his few risk factors was super-low HDL (total cholesterol was also low but his ratio is bad). Our pediatrician mentioned this can be genetic (esp since DH has exercised a ton in his life and his HDL is still only 18) so she checked our boys. Two years ago, A. had HDL of 17 and total cholesterol too low to register (below 100). Yesterday his total was 104 and his HDL was below 15, i.e. too low to register.

I know DH has been frustrated that HDL has been so hard to raise. I don't have their unfortunately cholesterol profile but when I started eating keto, my HDL went up 25% (to 74) in about a year. Toying with the idea of trying LCHF for A. in hopes it might help raise his HDL/get his ratio better.

If anyone has their kids in this age range eating LCHF, what guidelines do you follow for them? I probably wouldn't go to keto levels for him but beyond that, suggestions or experiences to share? He already would rather have meat and cheese with no bread so that's a start. :)

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    We don't do keto, but don't have things like crackers or sugary snacks on hand, they don't drink juice or soda, dinners are keto because my husband cooks that way for me (sometimes he'll make rice or potato for the kids, but not always). They eat whole grain bread PB & honey sandwiches, white tortillas and pasta and rolled oats.

Our son (9) has always done better high protein and fat so we've pretty much always fed him that way. He has eggs most mornings (we have lots of chickens so have lots of eggs). He likes salad and veggies, but isn't much of a fruit eater. Our daughter (5) would live on fruit if we let her.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My kids are probably moderate carb, although my middle son is high carb (potatoes and rice). I'd like them to go lower carb, but the fact that they eat very little processed food probably helps keep their carbs healthier.... I'm strict with food. I rarely allow more than 1 slice of bread each per day (because gluten free bread is fluff and darn expensive) and I even make them measure out their syrup - 1 Tbs for two pancakes, and the pancakes are made from protein powder, flax meal, coconut flour, hemp, chia, and a LOT of eggs.

Their, poison of choice is fruits, and raisins - they'll grab a handfull every day...I hate that.

I tell them to call me "Mommy Kill Joy". ;)
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    my kids eat the keto meals I make at home, but for school snacks they don't follow keto, and at daycare they eat whatever she makes. So I guess they are part-time keto. I like that they will benefit from eating LCHF part time, but I am not going to make the decision for them to go as strict as I am. We have greatly reduced their processed food because its not in the house anymore, so its only daycare that they see that, and I am perfectly happy with how its been going. They are only 3 & 4.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Both of mine are MSPI. So from very early on that ruled out a lot of processed things because of soy and they've been raised on hemp milk. As they've gotten older (4, 6) they've tolerated more dairy and are now not reacting to cow milk cheese but still no soy or cows milk. Long story short we are protein pushers, they don't eat much processed and I no longer police what they get at school. So they are most likely "slow carb" or moderate carb.
  • macchiatto
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!
    "A" is actually my self-proclaimed "mid-carb" kid. Definitely lower carb than his brother. I'm discouraged his HDL is even lower now though so I want to try going further with him and see if it helps at all. Our dinners are often keto and DH eats lower carb now, too (probably closer to 150 gm/day), so that should help, in theory.
  • allie2girlz
    allie2girlz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I feed my kids (13,15) lchf bkfst, lunch and dinner. They are surrounded by carbs and sugar at school and I am sure they don't always avoid it. I know when we eat out, church, and family meals they still choose carbs, but typically no sweetened beverages. I would say their diet is 75% lchf. Both of them have slimmed up but not dropped a lot of weight. My youngest no longer gets hypoglycemia symptoms between meals.
  • hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My elder two are carb insane, but my baby (6.5 months) has low carb solids.
  • clawson91
    clawson91 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My 20 year old has naturally eaten low carb foods most of the time for most of his life. For the past year he has been lifting weights and has built lots of muscle quickly. He eats lots of eggs, tuna, chicken and cottage cheese. He does eat higher carb foods occasionally but always complains how bad he feels after. I think he will eventually go lower carb on his own. My youngest (13 almost 14) is a carb monster. He actually gets very upset if he doesn't have potatoes and/or bread with his meals. With that being said I have decided for his health I am going to stop buying his processed breakfast burritos and give him boiled eggs (his fave) with sausage or bacon for breakfast. Or protein pancakes (made with cottage cheese and eggs)...something lower carb than what he's used to. After he stops complaining about that (LOL) I will take more carbs away from dinner and snacks. Good thing he really does love pepperoni and cheese for snacks! He played football this year and is also lifting weights but is not seeing the same results as his brother. I really feel like carbs have something to do with that. I know I have no control over what he eats at school and I know he will choose carbs and sugary drinks every time. If he eats healthier foods more often then I am hoping his taste buds will change. I know it's going to be a fight and I will probably want to pull my hair out but I feel like it is something he needs. He is also hypothyroid (like me) and carbs are not my friend. I've told him this repeatedly but he ignores it. So I am going to give him a gentle push. I've always made healthy meals though higher carb in the past. I was big on whole wheat breads, cereals, etc. Now I know better. If anyone else is interested in doing the same with their kids (or already are) please send me a friend request and either mention this board or keto kids.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My daughter (14) has always had a healthy appetite and I had no problems with her eating meats and veggies. In the early days, she would eat so much fruit I would take it away so she wouldn't get a sore tummy just from quantity!! She is a self-proclaimed carb-aholic and would happily live on pasta and potatoes, but her body grumbles at her if she does. I don't "not" let her, but her tummy limits her enough that she keeps it, as well as fast food requests, to a self-monitored dull roar. I will take it as a win. My 20 year old on the other hand... happily quadrupled his fast food intake when he moved to the city with his dad almost 8 years ago... right now he seems to have the metabolism for it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    My adult kid eats keto. Does that count? Lol
    She's T1D and does very well. Much much better blood sugar and weight control and overall feeling great without the carbs.

A friend of mine, not in our group is making the switch for her 4 year old this week. She already ate low carb but has an apple juice habit that's the goal to break right now. Her other 2 teens, and her husband recently went keto too. If all goes well, she has the whole family switched over! I wish I could get my son and husband to commit.
  • swing72
    swing72 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I wish i could get my family to switch over, hubby lasted 5 days low carb and kids wont even consider it, although the meals i cook for them could be classed as low carb (not keto) I cant control what goes into their mouths outside the house :( Id love it if they got on board
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It's unintentionally but my 6years old naturally prefers a lchf diet he basically dips meat in olive oil and homemade mayonnaise, he eats tuna and sardine drenched in olive oil with a spoon. He just hates rice potatoes and pasta. For example of i made pasta he only eats a bowl of sauce. No sweets either he can sit next to a candy jar or chocolate and he is not tempted. He eats fruits like green apple and berries, his favorite and occasionally pear, kaki. been like this since he was 2 to 3years old. He is lean. He has no health problem, he is in the 90% of the growth curve for height and 50% for weight. Basically I guess if you only feed him real food like meat cheese fish egg fruits and non starchy vegetable it might help and I am sure it won't hurt.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, @fuelednfit, I noticed you used the word kaki... that's what my dad calls persimmons. It's an Italian term, are you Italian too?
  • macchiatto
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Hahaha, @fuelednfit, I noticed you used the word kaki... that's what my dad calls persimmons. It's an Italian term, are you Italian too?

I wondered what that meant but hadn't googled it; thanks for solving the mystery! :)
  • TishaGettinFit
    TishaGettinFit Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My family is hardly low carb but have definitely been eating less carbs since I started eating LCHF.
  • mkoh65
    mkoh65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Funny, kaki is also Japanese for persimmon. Coincidence?
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Oh its my husband influence his family lived in Italy for a while
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    mkoh65 wrote: »

Funny, kaki is also Japanese for persimmon. Coincidence?

I didn't know that, neat! I was sure it wasn't a real Italian word, just a dialect term, but checked that out and the proper Italian spelling is 'cachi' pronounced 'kakee.' Just like in Japanese.